“Old Town San Diego”

Ranked #68 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Sayward, Canada
“Old Town San Diego”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Each year on our way in and out of Mexico for the winter we stay at the Best Western in Old Town. It is very convenient to the Trolley Station and the local sights of Old Town. This is a very charming area of San Diego. There are several excellent restaurants very near the hotel and the hotel restaurant is great too. Loved the drink coupons and the fabulous free breakfast. The staff here is very helpful and we always enjoy our stay. First picked this hotel because of the location and the airport shuttle bus.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is advertised as having an Airport Shuttle. What they don't tell you is that it shuts down at 10PM at night and doesn't start again until 7AM in the morning. If you arrive late at night and/or have to leave early in the morning you're going to have to catch a cab.

1 Thank briansV9150VK
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Please accept our apology if you experienced a problem staying with us. You sound very frustrated. If there is anything further you would like to discuss with our team directly, please contact me through the hotel. We are committed to total guest satisfaction and want to hear your suggestions. Our shuttle is a complimentary van that runs incrementally throughout the day to several locations throughout the city: San Diego Airport & Cruise Terminal, Amtrak, Marine Core Recruit Depot and Old Town Trolley Station. For anyone planning travel to Best Western PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town that has transportation questions, feel free to call us to explore all your options. Thanks again and we hope to hear from you.
Fullerton, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I make a point of staying at this hotel whenever we are in the San Diego area. We have always found the staff to be always friendly and helpful. The Hacienda appearance of the hotel adds to the ambiance of the Old Town area. We do recommend this hotel to our friends as a pleasant place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the recommendation! We sincerely enjoy having you as our guests. Don’t hesitate to reach out to Dean (our Assistant Front Office Manager) or myself if we can ever assist you in any way.
Kingman, AZ, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is a beautiful old hotel very near Old Town San Diego. However, the layout is so spread out and although I did have a nice workout climbing stairs to get around, or using two different elevators to get to the restaurant, it was a real maze trying to get around this facility. The parking was also a nightmare! We arrived on Saturday evening for a Sunday event and was unable to find parking for a while. Not a problem if you fly in and have no vehicle, though, obviously. Building #8 rooms very nice, spacious and new, but building #6 rooms were quite old and not nearly as comfortable for us.

3 Thank Glenda E
Thank you for leaving us these comments which gives me the opportunity to understand your perspective. First, please know that we want you to come back. There are a couple things we can do to make your stay easier. At check-in we do offer maps and assistance and we also have a map in each elevator. If there is ever any confusion, our team would be happy to give you an overview. The terraces are all garden-like patios with tables, chairs and fountains. Although there are a lot of stairs throughout, six of our buildings have elevators. Also with regards to parking, please accept my apology. Lack of spaces is not usually a problem other than the weekends there are large events in Old Town. Again, we are happy to help in any way we can. Before you make your next San Diego reservation, please contact me through the hotel so that our leadership team can manage your reservation in a personalized manner. Thank you again for leaving this review and your generous compliments of the hotel’s beauty.
San Diego, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stay at this location any time I visit Old Town San Diego. The location is central to any activities in Old Town. It's all just a few steps away from the hotel. The staff is very pleasant (except for a guy named Dan) and we've rarely had an issue or problem that wasn't happily fixed right away. We will continue to stay here any time we are planning a trip to Old Town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for staying with us again while in Old Town. It’s always an honor for us to hear how our service attitude won the loyalty of guests. That’s in addition to the location, of course. We are just steps away from the Heritage Park (great for picnics and quiet moments), Presidio Park, the haunted Whaley house and numerous shops and museums. From our restaurant, Old Town Tequila Factory, you get a great overview of the area. Feel free to reach out to me through the hotel if I can ever be of assistance. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My first impression, of this hotel, was very good. Upon arriving at San Diego Airport, I called the hotel and requested the free airport shuttle. It arrived just a few minutes later than anticipated, but the driver did apologize and explained that he had experienced traffic. Driver was very courteous and helpful. Arrived at the hotel 9:30 a.m. and was greeted by the front desk representative. I apologized, to her, for being so early and she said that is not a problem and let's see if I have a room available for you. Within a few minutes, I had my room assignment, coupon for next morning breakfast buffet and complimentary welcome drink. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel is built on the side of a hill. There are eight separate buildings on different levels, etc. Use of the elevator was quite welcomed. Room was very nice and clean. Although this is an older building, the condition was very good. After a long day, I decided to stop at the restaurant for my courtesy drink and an appetizer. I will comment on that experience when I submit the restaurant review. I will say that the breakfast buffet was quite disappointing. Although there were many items to choose from, most hot items were just warm or cold. The dining area itself was extremely cool (I overheard a lady sitting at the next table stating that the dining room was cold). However, I noticed that the thermostat was set at 64 degrees. Perhaps it is cool so that no diner sits idle for too very long. Quite honestly, I have stayed at many other BW's that do not have restaurants and have had a much better quality of breakfast food. All and all the entire hotel experience was exceptional (excluding the restaurant). When I checked out, the front desk staff was very nice and scheduled me for the next shuttle (which would be in about 15 minutes). This time, the driver was not as friendly, although acceptable. He did a lot of complaining which I do not believe is acceptable when it is in the presence of the patrons. I would definitely stay at this location any time I visit San Diego (within the city limits). Beautiful experience!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DianeH7050
Ryanaguinaldo, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Hacienda Hotel Old Town, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It helps us to know what the guest experiences and what amenities are important to them. We appreciate you pointing out our rooms, grounds and service as highlights of your stay. I am also pleased with the service of our shuttle driver and front desk person. That being said, I am so sorry that your breakfast experience left something to be desired. I will certainly make sure I speak to the restaurant manager about these issues as we are in the process of refining the menu at the Tequila Factory. During your next stay, please be sure to contact me through the hotel. I would be interested in hearing your impressions. Again, thank you for this great review and your input for the direction of improvement. We hope to have you as our guest again soon!
Haslett
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights here for business. Never needed a car. Everything within a few feet from great food to shopping and seeing historical sites. The hotel was great as well, pool, restaurant bar and wonderful patio areas to just hang out and enjoy he nice weather. It would have been great for families too. I 'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying at the Best Western PLUS Hacienda Hotel Old Town for your recent business trip! Let me know if you ever need any assistance.