“suspicious booking and smoking rooms”

Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel
Ranked #96 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I booked a room through Priceline and when I checked in had the excat same situation as another guest who has written a poor review here. I was given a smoking room which had NOT been requested only to be offered a NON SMOKING room if I was prepared to pay another additional $15!!!!....this hotel is scamming individuals to rack up additional charges to increase the room rate.... I recommend all who consider this location to avoid it like the plague!...It has left a bitter taste in my mouth NEVER to use Best Western again

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Goniochromist
GMMiramar, Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2011

I apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. Please call me at 858-578-6600 and give me details of your cancelllation # and I will investigate and what is possible to do in your favor I will do for you. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and hope to hope to hear from you soon.

Manu

Reviewed 13 July 2010

We booked two rooms through hotwire.com. When we checked in we were told that we would be in smoking rooms. So we asked for non-smoking rooms since we have small children. "no problem sir that will be an additional $70 for a non smoking room." we explained our concerns about 2nd and 3rd hand smoke. "sorry sir $70"
We have stayed at many best westerns that were booked through hotwire and never once have be been charged to "upgrade" to a no smoking room. In reading other reviews of this property it seems to be a scam they are running. stay away if you can

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank emspapa
GMMiramar, General Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. As you know when you buy your room through hotwire / priceline with "name your price" you are giving up lot of prevallage, such as choice of your hotel, room type ect. This type of booking channel will give you deep discount but any guest request is subject to availabity, if we don't have same room type we offer guest choice to upgrade to diffrent room type and pay the diffrence (once again this upgrade is subject to availability). I advice if guest has specific need please book through Bestwestern.com and select room type of their need. Each room type and rates are clearly explain.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2010

I was visiting my son and daughter in the Del Mar area of San Diego. I wanted a clean, quiet room and property with a microwave and fridge in the room, a pool, complimentary breakfast, with a computer center for guests to use, and close to my son's house.
I got all this and a warm treatment from the management and the hotel staff.
I stayed there 3 nights and enjoyed a quiet comfortable sleep each night, although there was a large contingency of teenage guests in town for tournaments as well as graduation guests, and complete families as well.
I asked for a quiet room and got a 3rd floor room. The only sounds I heard were from the Top Gun pilots overhead in their planes doing night training occasionally, but the efficient air conditioner drowned out all but the loudest sounds form those jets.
The whole property seemed clean and freshly painted, my room with two queen beds was well appointed and comfortable, the breakfast (continental) was sufficient and plentiful. One elevator brought you up to each floor. The only concern someone might have is that the rooms all open out onto an outside entrance or walkway to stairs outside - no internal hallways - so some might have a concern for security...but my impression of the neighborhood was that all was safe and secure and no worries from that standpoint.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 June 2010

I spent 2 weeks staying in different hotels almost every night and must say I think Best Western hotels are very good and affordable. This one was great, we asked for quiet room and got a lovely quiet room on the inside. I loved the fact we had a fridge and microwave in the room and basic breakfast was free. I found staff lovely and helpful, location ssuited us as we did not want to stay in Gaslamp district due to noise, there is a lovely beach near. Only thing I would say was below par was intyernet connection, which was attrociously slow but then again, it was free so who can argue. decor was decent and we had comfortable bedding. Nowhere to eat if you don't fancy fast food nearby.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minklechicken

Reviewed 8 May 2010

I had to travel for a class in San Diego on May 6, 2010, so I decided to fly down the night before and stay near my destination. I booked this hotel through Hotels.com and found the reservation method easy and secure. Upon arrival, I found the hotel to be above average for a Best Western. The room was large, clean, and well equipped. It had one of the more comfortable beds I've encountered. Checkin was fast and easy, the staff was pleasant, and breakfast was served on-time. The only down-side was the traffic noise from the road to the west, so I would recommend not taking a west facing room.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 April 2010

I had booked a reservation through Priceline.com for a non-smoking room. When I arrived at the hotel I was informed succinctly that my reservation came through for a smoking room. Although there were non-smoking rooms available, I was charged $11 to change to a non-smoking room. Calls from customer service agents at Priceline had no effect at all. The front desk clerk admitted to me that this happens very frequently (every day she said) to people who book through Priceline or Hotwire. I believe this hotel is running a scam to earn extra revenue by charging unsuspecting customers extra money for non-smoking rooms. Shameful. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 April 2010

Before I stayed, I had read some pretty bad reviews. I figured I'd check it out and leave if it was bad. I was greeted by a very kind employee at the front desk. I pre-paid my checkin, so it took all of 5 minutes to get my keys. When I went to the room I was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised at how clean the room was. I checked every corner, towel, sheet, etc, and it was very clean. The housekeeping staff was very pleasant as well. The entire stay was very enjoyable. I have stayed in another hotel nearby which cost 3 times the price of this one, and I was just as happy with this hotel. I will DEFINITELY look into staying at this hotel next time I travel to San Diego. Thanks for an pleasant experience at a fantastic price!

PROS: Clean
Very Nice Staff
Price
Location

CONS: The water pressure could be better
The wireless network could be faster ( However, it was free! )

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
GMMiramar, Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2010

First of all thank you very much for writing honest experiance of your recent stay at our property.

Your comments is very much appreciated by millons of traveller world wide and my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. Here I like to inform you that we have more plan to upgrade our hotel in coming months starting with front office lobby.

We hope to see you again.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!