“Very nice motel with a very helpful staff.”

Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel
Ranked #98 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
north carolina
“Very nice motel with a very helpful staff.”
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights. heated pool and hot tub. beautiful landscaping close to many restaurants.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Turkish first
Santa Maria,Ca
Reviewed 17 January 2011

As several others have posted, this hotel is a scam. If you book through Hotwire, Priceline etc. you will only get a handicap, smoking room. I love the way the manager responds when these type of complaints are posted as HE DON'T CARE!!! They have been doing this a long time. If you want a non smoking room you pay 10-15 dollars more. I had Hotwire ban this hotel from my searches as I stay in this area 8-10 times a year.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank KenVC_11
San Jose, California
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I made a reservation in June and cancelled the reservation at least 2 weeks in advance of our reservation. The hotel charged my credit card indicating that I did not cancel the hotel room. This was absolutely false. I cancelled the room and gave them plenty of notice. stay away from this unethical hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank luvtotravel155
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We paid $113 plus tax for our room on a Friday. This hotel is about 15 minutes from downtown San Diego. Other hotels closer to San Diego were $140 plus tax and up on this particular day. For those who don't live in California remember that the sales tax and other convenience charges will be in the 13% range. We ended up paying $129 for a $113 bill.
Some complain of the traffic noise as this hotel is next to a highway. We hardly noticed it as we were exhausted from our busy day in San Diego. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were awesome. After getting the password for the wi-fi connection we used the internet to our hearts content. As I got my first batch of ice I noticed that the pool was pretty crowded. We don't go on vacations for the pool, but it sure looked like the pool was enjoyed by the families and kids who were there.
We usually grab something to munch on for breakfast, but slept in on Saturday and by 9 am the breakfast room was packed. We grabbed a muffin and found our way to Little Italy's farmers market where we got a pretty good panini sandwich for breakfast.

I think some people are having trouble with bookings mainly because of Expedia and Hotwire. If anyone takes the time to read the other reviewers, most had trouble with their reservations because they made them though a secondary company. The hotel didn't get a "5" mainly because the breakfast room was a bit small for the complex, and the ice machine close to our room was broken. We had to go to the 3rd floor for the ice we needed. I also think that San Diego in general is a bit expensive. The hotel was full and as good business people they charge what they can.

A previous reviewer mentioned that he did not want to use his Hilton points. Folks... this is not a Hilton hotel. I'm sure the "Del Coronado" is a better hotel. As I'm sure that Motel 6 would have been cheaper. We got a good value from this place.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I booked a room through Priceline and when I checked in had the excat same situation as another guest who has written a poor review here. I was given a smoking room which had NOT been requested only to be offered a NON SMOKING room if I was prepared to pay another additional $15!!!!....this hotel is scamming individuals to rack up additional charges to increase the room rate.... I recommend all who consider this location to avoid it like the plague!...It has left a bitter taste in my mouth NEVER to use Best Western again

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Goniochromist
GMMiramar, Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
I apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. Please call me at 858-578-6600 and give me details of your cancelllation # and I will investigate and what is possible to do in your favor I will do for you. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and hope to hope to hear from you soon.

Manu
montclair
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We booked two rooms through hotwire.com. When we checked in we were told that we would be in smoking rooms. So we asked for non-smoking rooms since we have small children. "no problem sir that will be an additional $70 for a non smoking room." we explained our concerns about 2nd and 3rd hand smoke. "sorry sir $70"
We have stayed at many best westerns that were booked through hotwire and never once have be been charged to "upgrade" to a no smoking room. In reading other reviews of this property it seems to be a scam they are running. stay away if you can

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank emspapa
GMMiramar, General Manager at Best Western San Diego/Miramar Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2010

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. As you know when you buy your room through hotwire / priceline with "name your price" you are giving up lot of prevallage, such as choice of your hotel, room type ect. This type of booking channel will give you deep discount but any guest request is subject to availabity, if we don't have same room type we offer guest choice to upgrade to diffrent room type and pay the diffrence (once again this upgrade is subject to availability). I advice if guest has specific need please book through Bestwestern.com and select room type of their need. Each room type and rates are clearly explain.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I was visiting my son and daughter in the Del Mar area of San Diego. I wanted a clean, quiet room and property with a microwave and fridge in the room, a pool, complimentary breakfast, with a computer center for guests to use, and close to my son's house.
I got all this and a warm treatment from the management and the hotel staff.
I stayed there 3 nights and enjoyed a quiet comfortable sleep each night, although there was a large contingency of teenage guests in town for tournaments as well as graduation guests, and complete families as well.
I asked for a quiet room and got a 3rd floor room. The only sounds I heard were from the Top Gun pilots overhead in their planes doing night training occasionally, but the efficient air conditioner drowned out all but the loudest sounds form those jets.
The whole property seemed clean and freshly painted, my room with two queen beds was well appointed and comfortable, the breakfast (continental) was sufficient and plentiful. One elevator brought you up to each floor. The only concern someone might have is that the rooms all open out onto an outside entrance or walkway to stairs outside - no internal hallways - so some might have a concern for security...but my impression of the neighborhood was that all was safe and secure and no worries from that standpoint.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again.

Again, thanks for taking the time and look forward to see you in the future.