“Great Location if You Have to be at Town and Country” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Seven Seas
Ranked #148 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
“Great Location if You Have to be at Town and Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

This hotel is located within walking distance to the Town and Country Hotel and Conference center. So if you want do save some $$$ you can stay here as opposed to paying top dollar over at Town and Country. Keep in mind you have to walk under a highway overpass to get to Town and Country. The hotel is basic, a place to sleep. Make sure while you're there you walk down the street and have a drink at the Beef Inn. It is truly a unique experience. Before you book directly with the hotel check prices on Priceline or Hotels.com The hotel has a shuttle service and they were very kind to pick me up from Old Town and bring me back to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank BarbaraTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
los angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

I stayed at the Best Western Seven Seas for 2 nights. The first night I noticed a bite or two on myself and didn't really think anything of it. The second night I woke up to several bites on my face and over ten on my back and legs. They are clearly bed bug bites. Hotwire was good about getting me out of there and giving me a $100 voucher towards another hotel. I'd much rather of not been attacked by bed bugs and give the $100 back since I'm on vacation and was hoping on going to the beach or to be able to lie by the pool. I can't do that because my legs and face are covered by big red ugly welts. I travel a lot, this happened to me about a year ago and I recall the welts taking about a week to go away :( .... Well I knew I shouldn't of trusted a hotel that only got 2.5 stars. Like they say you get what you pay for. First of all the hotel "complex" is a monstrosity. It looks like an apartment complex in a really poor neighborhood. It doesn't get any better once you get in the room. The room was really tiny and outdated, no better than an old Motel 6 room. I would of stuck it out for the last 2 days of my stay had I not been attacked by bugs. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have stayed at well over 200 hotels the last 2 years and this one definately ranks at the bottom of that last and that was BEFORE the bed bugs made a meal out of me. When I called the girl at the front desk to tell here I'm checking out early because I had been attacked by bed bugs she goes "ohhh I'm sorry". I have a hard time believing she doesn't hear this on a regular basis. The Manager should of been on the phone taking care of my paid 2 nights and crossing his fingers that I didn't come on some review site to speak the truth. The one time I was attacked by bed bugs in Pittsburght at least the manager had the sense to take care of my stay, I did not review that hotel, maybe I should have but since the Manager was so nice and told me it was an isolated incidence I took here word for it. It's called customer service and this dump lacks in that too!!! I am very tempted to post a picture of one of my legs that are covered in red welts but I'd hate to gross anyone out.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank HandsumMuscle
bw7seasMGR, Operations Manager at BEST WESTERN Seven Seas, responded to this review, 19 February 2010
The Best Western Seven Seas regards any complaint pertaining to bed bugs as very serious matter. It is important to have an understanding of bed bugs and how they can arrive at a hotel. Since the bed bugs can arrive on the clothing or in the suitcases of guests from infested homes or other hotels harboring the pests, hotels can be an easy target for bed bug infestations.

What is important is what a hotel does once a guest room has become infested. Getting rid of bed bugs is not an easy process, and most cases of bed bug infestation will require treatment by a pest-control expert. A variety of low-odor sprays, dusts, and aerosol insecticides can be used to eradicate bed bugs. These must be applied to all areas where the bugs are observed as well as spaces where they may crawl or hide. The pest-control company can help you determine if the mattress can be disinfected or must be discarded. These are the steps we have already taken to ensure this occurrence remains an isolated one.

We would like to point out the hotel regularly receives high marks for our overall property presentation and guest service. We recently were awarded the Best Western Chairman’s Award for ranking in the top 5% after our last Best Western International inspection. Our online guest satisfaction scores consistently average 4 out of 5 for intent to recommend. We are located in beautiful Mission Valley which is centrally located in San Diego. Over the last two years the hotel has been renovated inside and out receiving furniture, carpet, blinds and vanities. To go along with our already gorgeous landscaping we painted the entire exterior and added all new fencing around the property. Our hotel has a lot to offer and at a very fair price.

If we can offer any advice, if you are experiencing issues with a room or hotel service give the hotel a chance to correct the issue. Don’t just call the desk and tell them you’re leaving. We look at any guest comments as constructive ones but these comments are thoughtless and unfair.

Kind Regards,
Best Western Seven Seas Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

The grounds were amazing! But the room itself was way smaller than expected. Very small in comparison to the online description. There wasn't even a microwave to heat food so all the food we brought sat there and we had to eat out every meal. One plus was that there was direct outdoor entry and room service was great. Thank goodness it was just me and my friend! Even though our room was a 2 bed I wouldn't want to imagine fitting any more people in. I've stayed in nicer Super 8...which was right next door at a friendly price...

Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Simi Valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

My husband & I stayed here right after christmas (just to get away). We searched for a good hotel but everything was either way too expensive or booked already. We searched through the Room Saver (which you can find at any Dennys) and we called around. We decided to stay at this hotel because the price was okay and the rooms were not too bad. The average rate was $80 and the room was clean. We decided to order room service, and it came pretty fast. We were overall happy with our stay. It wasn't outstanding, but it was not aweful...

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leilani93063
Memphis, TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

I travel quite frequently for business, and my most recent conference happened to be at this hotel. The rooms are clean in typical BW fashion. However, instead of being a more upscale property given the price of rooms and location, they are small. There is hardly any walking room between all the furniture. That wouldn't be so bad, if it weren't for the bathroom. I am 5'5" and I have to contort my body and "shrink" to take a shower. The shower head hits me in the throat if I walked right up to it.

Other problems I had: one morning I had to take a lukewarm shower as there was not enough hot water left from others who had showered. My fridge froze everything on the warmest setting.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Santa Barbara
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

Good deal found online, free parking, pool,jacuzzi, fitness room. It was just a home base for new years eve, as most hotels were charging a ridiculous amount of money for the night. Spent a little under a Grant(Ulysses S) so if you can find it around the same, i'd recommend booking.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
vancouver, bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

I just returned from San Diego and had a wonderful time. I found the city to be very beautiful and the people quite friendly, including those at the Seven seas. The staff was always very helpful. The grounds of the hotel were quite pretty and well kept and our room was always clean. The room was, however, a bit smaller than expected and I was a tad dissapointed at how far from the pool we were, considering I had emailed the hotel requesting to be closer as I had two small children. One other thing I found to be a little inconvienent was that there was only one plug in for the fridge, coffee maker and hair dryer so you had to unplug one to plug in the other, not a huge deal but strange none the less. The trolley and bus were close by and easy to navigate. My best peice of advice if you stay in this area is try to spend as much time out and about as possible and return to the hotel late as there is not a lot of restatraunts (or anything) around to walk to, and the area was not the kind of place I would walk around at night with kids. (which I found surprising, being it the "hotel circle") Plus, the hotels restaraunt was way overpriced. I did order from one of the flyers I found stuck under my door and it was sooo good. (Im sorry, I cant remember the name, but it was a pizza, pasta place, very reasonable) There is a mini mart down the street but as I mentioned, go there in the day. My husband was followed by some sketchy individuals one night.(same goes for the fashion valley mall, its close to walk, but kind of weird after dark) They have a complimentary shuttle at the hotel which will take you to the attractions, just sign up the day before, but I found most everything to be close enough that a cab wasn't too unreasonable either. All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the best western seven seas. Like I mentioned, the staff were great . I do think, however, that if I return to San diego, I would stay somewhere that had more amenities around it, preferably closer to the beach.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family