“Pleasantly surprised, nice and quiet.”

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Ranked #22 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is truly a great little Best Western. I was pleasantly surprised by this property. It is very clean, super quiet at night, and it even has room service! I think the management and staff are doing a wonderful job here at keeping the place running smoothly and making sure their guests are taken care of. This property sits right next to the marina, so you get nice views of the boats and the nice grounds. There is a walking path behind the hotel, so you can take a nice morning run or walk and just enjoy the area. There are several restaurants nearby and it is close to the airport. The front desk staff is super helpful and very friendly. The ONLY thing that I would fix about this property is the A/C units in their rooms. I wanted to just have the fan running and I couldn't figure a way to do that as it is tied into their thermostat on the wall somehow with some crazy gizmo. Hard to explain, but I had never seen it done this way before in all my travels, just something that I would fix as I'm sure others would like to have the fan going at night as well. Also, as you are driving, the hotel has a smaller sign at about eye level as you are driving. I was actually looking for the large blue BW sign and almost drove right by it. Other than that, this place is awesome for being a smaller hotel and is conveniently located. Oh, and the room service food was actually quite good, another plus! Call the hotel for the best rates, they will take care of you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hankypanky505

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is one great best western. The location is great on shelter island. The hotel is kept in great shape. Very nice pools and hot tubs with proper jets not bubbles. The room was nice and big, very clean , nice big balcony, very comfortable, firm but soft, king bed, nice flat screen tv, mic and fridge which is a must to keep things cool. The shower had good pressure and height.
And location! What can i say. If one likes walking, there are many walk paths, if one likes fishing, there is a pier right out front. If one likes watching boats, sail boats and military ships, they are there too. One is right in the city but not as one is on an island, so it feels like one is not in the city. Many great restaurants close by and within 5 miles driving. We will gladly go back here any time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HOGG00007
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here for our anniversary and Kyle said we deserved an upgrade and gave us the Jr. Suite overlooking the bay and city skyline. And he also let us check in early at noon because we came in earlier than expected. We stayed in the newer building on the second floor and it was priceless views :-)! We have found the only hotel that we will ever think about going to whenever we come here which is usually yearly. Thanks for a great stay!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tubuleez
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Wonderful property, a true respite. I have traveled many times to San Diego; wish I found this property earlier. Great location, property, rooms and staff. Although older property, it has been well maintained with significant renovations. My only concerns in posting a review is that I have concerns others will find this gem, always want to stay there, and it will be more difficult to get a reservation. :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great hotel with a wonderful location. Staff was wonderful and helpful. 10 minute drive to the airport and if you don't rent a car, there is a free airport shuttle. Free WiFi in the room and FREE PARKING. Beautiful view of the harbor from my room. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the food was very good. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank 621marsham
Reviewed 3 March 2014

When I booked my room on Skoosh (great prices that include taxes), I noted a request for a quiet, second story room with a king-sized bed facing the marina. When I called the hotel to confirm the reservation a couple of days before we left for the trip, I was told I had reserved a standard, first-floor, 2-queen bedroom in the oldest building facing the parking lot. The person who answered my call at the hotel said they were full and the reservation could not be changed. However, it was so close to our travel dates that nothing else was available so we took our chances.

We arrived at about 7:30 pm, and I explained my experience and the reservation issues just briefly (and pleasantly) to Kyle, the check-in agent. (Thank you, Kyle!) While he was not able to find a king room with a view, he did put us in a nice marina view room with a lovely patio in a the Casa Marina, newer building. Was it ideal? No,but it was nice and reasonably priced, clean and well furnished. Its only problem, other than 2 beds vs. one, was the paper thin walls and slamming doors. You literally hear every conversation, crying baby, laughing child and door slamming all around you. They desperately need better sound insulation.

We were still able to sleep, so we didn't complain, but from the comments here on TripAdvisor sound like they would make every effort to get you to a quieter space if you experience a problem. Other buildings might have better sound proofing, but even that was not a deal breaker for us and I am still rating the hotel very highly. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

The service here was outstanding. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant every morning and the service was excellent. Every server we had was very friendly and efficient. The front desk staff were great, as were the housekeeping staff.

Located right across from a great park (complete with playground structure) it's an ideal location to watch everything from sailboats to Navy ships come into and out of the harbor. The area was pedestrian friendly, close to great restaurants, and right on the water.

The location on Shelter Island is wonderful. If you plan to rent a car in San Diego, parking at a downtown hotel can be very expensive. It's free here. We learned from reading signs in the park that Shelter Island was built mostly in the late 50s, and heavily influenced by Polynesian experiences of servicemen and women during WW 2. So there are lots of tiki torches, hut style structures and palm trees. It's a vintage feel with updated environment.

Room Tip: Rooms on the marina side are excellent, and the patios in the Casa Marina building offer great views...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KLOE78
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The best part of the stay was the service. We were ready to check out after one night due to noisy neighbors. The manager was very apologetic and insisted on providing us with a good experience. He moved us to a better room where we ended up staying 2 more nights. It was so good that we would have stayed weeks... The room was terrific. It was large, quiet, with a beautiful view of the marina. The front desk staff were exceedingly friendly and kept asking us how they can make our stay better. The hotel is in a great location that is quiet, convenient, close to the airport, and 15-20 minutes from downtown San Diego. It is on small island with a view of the marina in the back and the San Diego bay in the front. The front rooms face the small parking lot, however immediately beyond the parking lot there is just one road along the shore (with zero traffic at night) then the magnificent San Diego bay. There is occasional noise from the naval base across the bay during the day, but total quiet at night. We loved the hotel and the place.

Room Tip: A room with no neighbors above is best. Rooms are on the water's edge on the marina side, but a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple