Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Ranked #19 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I along with our 2 little ones ages1 and 5 LOVE this place... we stayed here a few time... the ocean view rooms upper level at the very end building are the best (newest)... there is a play ground across the street that the kids love..... u can bring your bikes and ride for long time on the paths... the hotel also has bikes to use (don't now how many??? there is also a fishing pier and little beach area down the sidewalk... picnic areas are nice too... the hotel is great... very clean...internet works good... very clean rooms/bathrooms.....its a big place and has a few pools... the staff is wonderful and very helpful.......its on a dead end road so there is hardly any traffic... love this place.... great place for family and couples....we will be headed back this fall...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dwm28
Write a ReviewReviews (3,796)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I didn't want to leave! The room was spacious and glorious, I could see the water to my right from the terrace. The pools were glorious (though the front one, which they said was heated, was MUCH colder than the smaller one). I do wish someone had told me on day one that they had bike rental, etc. I would have taken advantage of that before I left! I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the marina behind the hotel if you can! I had excellent bird watching from my side...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank LKPNYC
Reviewed 13 May 2014

SDtayed at the BW Island Palms this past week. I thought it was great. Had read many reviews and made the right choice based on this. This is a large property located on a peninsula across from downtown SD. On the map it may look far from the most p[opular attractions, but it's only about 15 minutes from Old Town, Gas Lamp, Harbor activities, etc. For me, the best part was being across the bay from North Island Naval Base. I loved the activity every day. Now if aircraft noise bothers you, stay on the marina side of the property. I stayed on the bay side and would recommend that to everyone. We were in the Casa Marina building which is newer. Rooms were above average in size and quite nice. Housekeeping staff was excellent and all staff members were friendly and accommodating. Oh, if staying in Casa Marina, you must stay on the 2nd or 3rd floor. 1st floor view is blocked by shrubbery. Parking is adequate and free, although I was told there would be a fee after June 1. Parking fees are common at most locations. By the way, hotels on Shelter Island have walking paths, a very nice fishing pier (with a snack bar) directly across from Casa Marina rooms, views of the city. Most other locations are urban. Walk out to a street or commercial environment...not Island Palms. Property has a nice restaurant and bar and their are other restaurants within walking distance. They have 2 outdoor pools also. I could go on about the many advantages of this property. Just know you will be pleased with your choice. It will be my only choice on my next SD visit.
Also, we had a very nice dinner at a local restaurant (near the hotel) Pomodoro Ristorante Italiano. Within walking distance of Island Palms (little less than a mile). Recommended. Also the Brigantine for a late afternoon appetizer. Pretty good. Busy. We walked there. In Old Town recommend Cafe Coyote. Seemingly always busy..that usually means something. I can recommend. Most SD restaurants are pretty good or they wouldn't be there. Competition is stiff.

Room Tip: Marina rooms face...well, the marina. Are quieter. Bay rooms offer day-long views of navy and privat...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sawyer9813
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel 3 nights in April 2014. It is located outside town, which gives you a nice view of the San Diego skyline, but it also means you need to drive into town or take a taxi. The hotel actually consists of 3 complexes, called 'Islands Palms', 'Casa del Mar' and 'Marina' and the rooms are very different depending on which complex you are going to be in or which side of the hotel your room is facing. You can either be facing the Marina side towards the yacht harbour or the Seaside towards San Diego skyline. But the latter really overlooks the car park and the road before you see the sea. We first had a room in 'Island Palms' which in itself was ok, but had no patio or balcony, so we changed into 'Marina' and that was a great choice (Thanks to the Lady at receiption for giving us this room!). It was on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking the Marina. It was spacious, the bathroom was new, and the bed was very comfortable with lovely pillows.
So all in all a great hotel, would definitely recommend it, but you have to be lucky with the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Marina. Any room facing the seaside overlooks the car park.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank claudiamP5195WD
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Quiet hotel, great views of the harbor and the bay. Very friendly staff. Can't wait to go back and stay again. Plus the great breakfast and the restaurant Blue Wave Bar and Grill, awesome food and very friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Debra F
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at the Best Western Island Palms for four nights. Having arrived quite late in the evening, we didn't fully appreciate the grounds and setting until the next morning, when we awoke to see our room faced the water and had great views. While the room itself was a bit tight with two double beds, it was fine for us (two adults and a teenager). Room was comfy and had all we needed. We liked that the hotel was on Shelter Island, a bit away from the hubbub of downtown, but super close to absolutely everything. If you are staying here, you definitely need a car to get around. Every morning, we enjoyed a beautiful walk along the water. A very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I normally stay at Best Western properties while traveling for business as I need a clean, dependable, no-frills stay. When I was planning a San Diego vacation for my wife and I just happened to look at Best Western properties in SD and ran across the Best Western PLUS Island Palms Hotel. The more I looked into this property the better it sounded and I decided to take a chance on my business travel provider for my personal vacation stay. What a great decision. I would highly recommend this property for business or personal vacation purposes. Great views, upscale rooms, beautiful property, great staff, nice restaurant and bar and centrally located to most all area attractions and venues. We have found our new vacation spot when traveling back to SD

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple