4,072 results
All reviews casa del mar building blue wave fishing pier navy ships point loma junior suite walking path water view hotel restaurant tennis courts hot tub full kitchen short drive close to the airport sea world coffee maker the san diego area
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stay in a Marina View room, enjoy a sunset and the early morning calm! Shelter Island is scenic and comfortable. Enjoy fishing acroos the street from the hotel ans concerts down the road when scheduled. Located near three yacht clubs, numerous restaurants, this is a boaters paradise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank JRTQM
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My stay was made even more enjoyable with the help of Cesar Ramirez @ the front desk. He was able to help me with several requests and remembered my name when greeting me. he always had a smile on his face and a willingness to help!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
4  Thank C3918WRpatricias
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Last stay I had given this hotel a 4 star, there were several key factors on why I had to lower it. Rather than re-review the whole thing I will just highlight why I lowered the score.

First when I arrived my room was having a lot of key problems, the battery unit in my door was running low, and I called the front desk to let them know, and nobody ever came out and checked it. Fast forward two days and the lock dies. So here I am with a three year who desperately needs to go the bathroom and I am locked out. After a call to maintenance they say it will be at least 20 minutes till they can get it charged enough to open the door. Well, if you had just come Wednesday when I called this wouldn't have been a problem. so huge markdown for that.

Second the room I had, I was given one right next to the main door of the building and right above the swimming pool. I have never stayed in a more noisy room in any hotel I have ever stayed in. Impossible for my Wee one to nap with the constant slamming of the door and screaming of the pool. Don't get a room near the main entrances. mine was 522. bad bad bad.

Lastly, they started charging for parking. Albeit not a lot, $10. However over 4th of July weekend they had more cars than spaces. So you are paying for parking, and either parking on the street or illegally in the park, or you were walking the whole length of the hotel to park. Normally this wouldn't bother me, except when you charge me for the space. I should have one.

So ya I knocked it down. After this years experience I think it will be my last stay here as they have a lot to work on and my guess is it won't be getting better. So with that said do I recommend this hotel. nope not anymore.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Clyde_Betts
David C, Director of Guest Services at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for the poor experience.

Our staff should have been more proactive to ensure that your lock issue was attended to in a thorough and timely manner. I have spoken with our front desk and maintenance teams in order to stress the severity of this issue and have reviewed proper follow-up techniques.

As a result of the busy 4th of July weekend, our hallways and pools experienced an abnormally high volume of family traffic and I understand that this may have caused an unacceptable level of noise in your room.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This "mini resort" is in the middle of Shelter Island & has a very relaxing Hawaiian/tropical atmosphere. It is a wonderful seeing both San Diego Bay on one side & the beautiful marina on the other. We stayed for almost a week in a King room on the 2nd (top) level in the Del Mar bldg facing the bay--a gorgeous panoramic view of the bay & the SD skyline. There were lots of open areas to easily see the marina as well. A beautiful narrow grassy park with paved sidewalk to walk along the bay is directly across the street from the hotel & a sandy beach area is just steps away in front of the neighboring hotel. All of the employees from Diana at the Front Desk to the restaurant staff, housekeeping & maintenance were so friendly & seemed to be genuinely happy to make sure guests were having a quality stay. Their Blue Wave restaurant/bar/patio is very clean with lovely decor. We had 3 breakfasts & 2 dinners here (right on the marina), and all the food was delicious, fresh with lovely presentation. A nice variety of seafood, meats, chicken & vegetarian on the menu. The citrus salmon with quinoa, sea bass, wild boar bolognese were especially delicious. Our grandkids (their family stayed in a separate room) loved the 2 nice pools, watching all the Navy ships, other boats & a playground in the park across the street. Our room, contemporary-tropical decor was immaculate (except for the carpet--which was dark multi-color--it "looked" clean, but wasn't). There was no dirt in any corners & everything from the linens to bathroom was sparkling and fresh. The white shutters & colorful tiled vanity & bar area added to the tropical atmosphere. The bed was very comfortable, & there was excellent lighting throughout the bedroom & bathroom. Large closet & safe inside the closet. Small microwave & mini fridge. Nice TV. The tub/shower had a "rain" style shower head & the water temp & pressure was excellent. Hotel is close to all the favorite attractions in/near downtown San Diego, and don't forget the quick drive up to Point Loma. Lots of restaurants, coffee shops, bars, drug store & Ralph's market just blocks away, off the entrance to Shelter Island. With the excellent location, exceptionally friendly staff, beautiful facilities and spectacular views...we think this is the perfect place for a getaway to the San Diego area!

Room Tip: Lower level rooms seem to have best view on the marina side. Good views on upper levels on either side. No elevator in Del Mar building.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank DesertRanchers
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at the Best Western Plus given the great reviews in Trip Advisor. Overall, it was a decent place to stay - but we were very disappointed by the check-in staff. We had placed our reservation on Hotels.com and specifically did the upgrade to a Deluxe Water View Room. When we checked in - we were given a room with a view of the parking lot. Going back to the front desk, we said we had purchased the upgrade to the Deluxe Water View room and didn't have it. The guy at the front desk tried to convince us the room was a "water view" as you could catch a small glimpse of water on the opposite side of the parking lot across the highway and across another parking lot and restroom to the bay. All I could say was "REALLY?" I have included two pictures - one with a view of the parking lot and another a view from the other side of the building of the marina - which is very pleasant. I don't think anyone would pay for a deluxe Ocean view to see the shot from the parking lot. The clerk at the desk said that they had basically given our room away and he didn't have anymore - but passed the buck to the next staff to fix. We had an early meeting the next morning so we couldn't follow up until the next day and when we talked to the staff about it - they were reluctant to move us. Again they tried to sell the parking lot as the deluxe ocean view. Again all I could say was "REALLY? REALLY?" Finally they moved us across the hall and you can see the difference. The room itself was fairly nice, although the room with the better view had a smell like someone had been smoking in it so we had to take the good with the bad. Overall I would not return to this hotel as I don't think the price nor the reviews are in line with the lack of quality.

Room Tip: Be careful they don't try and sell you an upgraded Deluxe Water View Room and then tell you the parking lot is part of that view. The view on the marina side of the building is much better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Texasfamily98

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for the poor experience.

Our water view rooms feature either views of San Diego Bay or views of The Shelter Island Marina. While our marina side rooms are closer to the waterfront, both room types feature views of the water. We do receive a fairly equal number of requests for both view types and we do our best to fill these requests whenever possible.