4,049 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomajunior suitewalking pathwater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldcoffee makerthe san diego area
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We always stay at the BW Island Palms Hotel when in the San Diego area. After visiting many different areas, we have found that the tranquility and style and location of the BW Island Palms Hotel is the best. It is quiet, picturesque, convenient (just a short drive to downtown, Coronado, ferries, Pacific Beach). You can walk the bay waterfront or along the marina, two pools are available for the family, the staff are the best, this place just has it all!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Crystal R
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great place to stay, extra large rooms in the newer section of the hotel. My boys loved the pool, and the staff at the hotel are friendly. I can't wait to go back again next year, where we can just walk out of out room and see the fireworks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tracy K
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stay in a Marina View room, enjoy a sunset and the early morning calm! Shelter Island is scenic and comfortable. Enjoy fishing acroos the street from the hotel ans concerts down the road when scheduled. Located near three yacht clubs, numerous restaurants, this is a boaters paradise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JRTQM
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My stay was made even more enjoyable with the help of Cesar Ramirez @ the front desk. He was able to help me with several requests and remembered my name when greeting me. he always had a smile on his face and a willingness to help!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank C3918WRpatricias
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Last stay I had given this hotel a 4 star, there were several key factors on why I had to lower it. Rather than re-review the whole thing I will just highlight why I lowered the score.

First when I arrived my room was having a lot of key problems, the battery unit in my door was running low, and I called the front desk to let them know, and nobody ever came out and checked it. Fast forward two days and the lock dies. So here I am with a three year who desperately needs to go the bathroom and I am locked out. After a call to maintenance they say it will be at least 20 minutes till they can get it charged enough to open the door. Well, if you had just come Wednesday when I called this wouldn't have been a problem. so huge markdown for that.

Second the room I had, I was given one right next to the main door of the building and right above the swimming pool. I have never stayed in a more noisy room in any hotel I have ever stayed in. Impossible for my Wee one to nap with the constant slamming of the door and screaming of the pool. Don't get a room near the main entrances. mine was 522. bad bad bad.

Lastly, they started charging for parking. Albeit not a lot, $10. However over 4th of July weekend they had more cars than spaces. So you are paying for parking, and either parking on the street or illegally in the park, or you were walking the whole length of the hotel to park. Normally this wouldn't bother me, except when you charge me for the space. I should have one.

So ya I knocked it down. After this years experience I think it will be my last stay here as they have a lot to work on and my guess is it won't be getting better. So with that said do I recommend this hotel. nope not anymore.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Clyde_Betts
David C, Director of Guest Services at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for the poor experience.

Our staff should have been more proactive to ensure that your lock issue was attended to in a thorough and timely manner. I have spoken with our front desk and maintenance teams in order to stress the severity of this issue and have reviewed proper follow-up techniques.

As a result of the busy 4th of July weekend, our hallways and pools experienced an abnormally high volume of family traffic and I understand that this may have caused an unacceptable level of noise in your room.