4,048 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomajunior suitewalking pathwater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldcoffee makerthe san diego area
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Cesar at the front desk was awesome. he went above and beyond to give us the perfect room. the views of the marina were great. the room was spacious and the beds were super comfy. the lounge was ok sadly not all employees ie (Theresa) was not as friendly as most of the staff is. overall we would comeback again.

Room Tip: get a room with a bay view or marina view, its worth the extra montey.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 2by2wetravel
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel has it all. Very helpful and friendly staff. Excellent restaurant and other restaurants within walking distance if you want to get away. The views are spectacular of the Bay and massive marina. We have been staying there for over 10 years and would never consider staying anywhere else in San Diego.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Bruce P
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Beautiful location on Shelter Island that allows for marina views, beautiful walking area across the street all along the water and a small pier (fishing if interested). Easy drive to Harbor, Sea World and other San Diego attractions. Large complex with several 2 story buildings. 2 pools - the one sitting against the marina was our choice. Did not eat in small restaurant, but did enjoy some food in the small bar during daily Happy Hour (nice variety & prices from 4-7). We chose a large room with separate living room and kitchen. Kitchen even had a blender and toaster. Bathroom has been updated - large with dual sinks. The loud noises above us from metal bar stools being dragged across tile floors several hours a night each night was disappointing. Summer + families = additional noises. Understandable, but annoying. Front desk was apologetic. Most restaurants a few blocks away on Scott. Delicious food and brews at Sausage shop on pier. Small indoor seating & outdoor seating. Sea lion was entertaining!

Room Tip: Definitely DO NOT stay on 1st floor if you are noise sensitive. Bar stools scraping across the tile floor above us nightly for several hours was obnoxious. Room facing the Marina and Point Loma was quiet in early a.m.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
David C, Director of Guest Services at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your review, I am glad there were many aspects of the island that you enjoyed.

I sincerely apologize for the noise related issues you experienced during your stay. Summer time is our busiest time of year and as a result we do experience a heightened level of activity related noise throughout property. We are currently working with our maintenance team toward a solution for the noise created by our metal bar stools. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the Island Palms Hotel with my mother and my son April 4th - April 9th. I didn't know what to expect because I have never stayed at a Best Western property. We loved it!

We had a room with a patio that opened directly up to the walk in front of the marina. The setting is beautiful. The room was large and we appreciated the refrigerator in our room and access to a laundry facility.

Everyone working at the hotel was super helpful and friendly. After we checked out and were on our way to the airport, I realized I left a necklace in the room. I called the hotel, they took my information and the necklace was immediately mailed to my home. Great customer service all around.

The reason I'm not giving it five stars is because we had some problems with our toilet and I didn't think the mattress was very comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay and I plan on going back next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the marina.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island and would highly recommend the hotel to others. We had a room in the Casa Marina building, 2 Queen beds, updated bathroom, and a nice size balcony. The room was large and clean, and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. The view of San Diego Bay from our balcony was unbelievable. We enjoyed watching the Navy jets take off from North Island, and also saw Navy helicopters and ships, and all sorts of pleasure craft and tour boats, cargo ships, etc. The hotel location is perfect, close to everything in and around San Diego!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple