4,049 results
All reviewscasa del mar buildingblue wavefishing piernavy shipspoint lomajunior suitewalking pathwater viewhotel restauranttennis courtshot tubfull kitchenshort driveclose to the airportsea worldcoffee makerthe san diego area
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The checking in and out was easy. The people working in the reception were very friendly and eager to help. I would say that goes for everyone we met at the hotel.
We had a room in the part of the hotel that I guess was the old one. The room was nice even if there were some minor flaws. It was also a bit dark, but we didn't mind. The air condition was noisy so we never used it, just kept the window open instead.
The beds were comfortable, the room was very clean and we had plenty of towels, soap etc.
But what I enjoyed the most was the setting. The room was in a small building protruding from the main building. We just had one room next to us and no one on top. Outside we had a small table and two chairs on the grass and just a few meters in front of us there was the marina. It was great to start and end the days here (with or without a drink), enjoying the sun and the peace. The duck family passing by every day was a nice bonus.
The whole area is a great place if you are looking for a restful time.
If you like running it is nice to go around the island - all flat. Maybe it is a bit short, only four kilometers according to Runkeeper. Unfortunately I can't recommend a good trail to make the run longer. I just ran in the residential area on the main land.
It was somewhat crowded by the pool, but the temperature in the water was perfect.
We never had breakfast at the hotel. We went downtown or to Liberty Station.
We did have dinner once at the hotel's restaurant, and I would not recommend it. The staff was nice but when the number of guests were adding up the service became unbelievable slow. Fortunately we arrived early. The food was not good enough. The clam chowder had skin on the top when served. The risotto was not creamy, it was dry. The chocolate mousse was not a mousse, it was almost turned into a jelly.
You really need a car if you want to go downtown or to the beaches north. We went downtown by taxi once and it was 27 dollars with Green Ride.
All in all, I would go back if I could have the same type of room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barfota
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Average accommodations. Staff very friendly and helpful. Ok price for location. Would not stay here again since there is a better option at the Bay Club nearby. Air conditioner was so noisy it woke us every time it came on. Only view we had was of the cars in the parking lot. The Bay Club has great views from every room. Won't make this mistake again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
David C, Director of Guest Services at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations.

While I am glad that you found our staff friendly and helpful I am disappointed to hear that our guest rooms were not to your satisfaction. Many of our rooms feature views of either the San Diego Harbor or of the Island Palms Marina however, it appears that we had you reserved in one of our non-view rooms. We do typically offer these rooms at a lower rate as they do not feature the water views that many of our guests request.

I have spoken with our maintenance team regarding the noisy A/C unit in your room and they have since repaired the issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I were headed for the 2014 Comic Con in San Diego and wanted to stay at a comfortable, reasonably priced hotel away from the noise and fury of the convention. And the Island Palms was it. Its location near the water, the comfortable rooms and attentive staff made our stay a relaxing oasis from the kinetic energy and noise of the Comic Con. What a great deal!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David H
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Nice location, make sure you ask for a higher room overlooking the marina, as you not only get a really interesting view with great people/boat watching but you also get the evening sun to sit on the balcony with a glass of wine. Speaking of which, I do wish this class of hotel would provide proper glasses in the room rather than nasty plastic ones.
The smaller pool is quieter than the main hotel one, with less kids and a really hot, hot tub!
Free parking outside the rooms, some of which are quite a way from the main building.
There's not much on Shelter island within walking distance, but I will recommend Bali Hai restaurant about a 10 min walk away, where the views are stupendous of downtown at night, and we thought the food good.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
David C, Director of Guest Services at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear you are a fan of our marina view rooms. Each of our rooms typically features both glass cups and ceramic coffee mugs and each of these are individually wrapped after we sanitize and wash them. I am sorry that your room did not have these in them prior to your check-in with us. I have spoken with our housekeeping supervisor regarding the importance of having these placed in the room prior to each guests check-in. While there is free parking in the lot across the street we began charging for parking on property in June of 2014.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

What a hotel. The people, the grounds, the view, the food, the service. If you want a good stay try this hotel for your vacation.We will always return to this place. The best ever!!! Thank you to the staff of Island Palms. danny

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank danny32420
David C, Director of Guest Services at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review! We truly appreciate that you had such a great stay with us. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to San Diego!