“Great view at a great price”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina
Ranked #22 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Kansas
“Great view at a great price”
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We had a lovely view of the marina from our window. We were on the ground floor and were able to sit in chairs on the small grassy lawn in front of our room. It was a very relaxing and peaceful location. The bedroom was a bit small but we weren't in the room much so it was fine. The bathroom was very large. Although the hotel appears to be older it was updated and very clean. The price included free internet but no breakfast. Free parking was provided which was not true with most other hotels in the area. The total cost with taxes was $110. A very good price for this fabulous view.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 March 2010

This was a great place for us to stay when we recently visited San Diego. It is really centrally located. Most places of interest are fairly close by. The airport is just a few minutes away. The hotel itself has nicely kept grounds and the rooms were very clean and modern, We stayed in the Casa Marina building. The staff was wonderful, especially Danny, Bob and Sherese. These guys were exceptionally helpfully with traffic and travel advice. Did I mention the free parking.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I can't add anything to the numerous reviews already submitted for this property. Its clean. Its in good repair. The staff are great. The location is beautiful. The pools are nice. We stayed for six nights and didn't have a single complaint. This is the best stay we have ever had.

As always, of course, don't over expect. This is a 3-Star hotel. As long as you expect that, you can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Santa Ana, CA
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I had been searching and reading reviews for more than 30 Best Western's in San Diego for about a month! After searching for so long I decided to give this hotel a try.

The manager, Bill, helped me with my three room reservations and he was really nice! I stayed at this hotel for one night since we were going for my brothers bootcamp graduation from the Marines(checked in at 6pm Thursday night and checked out at 7am Friday). The young lady that checked us was really nice but it seemed like she was still training since she asked the gentlemen working with her to help with the keys because she was having problems with the key machine. The gentleman didn't seem too happy since he never smiled!! Anyways, we went to our 2 rooms that we had booked with the 2 queen beds and we were impressed when we walked in! (room 506 & 508) They had a really nice view and had really nice furniture (the beds and little sitting area seats were so comfortable)! Then we went into the bathroom area and we were REALLY impressed in how big and spacious they were! My mom and I did our hair and make up Friday morning and there was even room for an extra person (even though we had all our make up, hair products, hair straightener, curling iron, and A LOT more! They were located on the 2nd floor in the Casa del Mar location.

My aunt and uncle arrived at the hotel around 8pm so I went to check in to their room with them again since it was also under my name. Sherisee (I believe that's how you spell her name) was really helpful! She checked us in quickly and once she saw me taking pictures of my brothers and uncles in front of the lobby by the really nice water fall they have she offered to take the picture for us so that I could be in it too! :)

We then went to see their room and it was a lot smaller than our other 2 rooms, this room was only a King room but the furniture was still nice and clean although it had no view. (room 504)

The best part was that all 3 of our rooms connected from the inside!

Later that night my parents and uncles decided to go to the hotel bar and restaurant and they said the food was really good and at a really decent price! My brothers and I went to the pool and jacuzzi and the water in the pool was so warm and clean! even though it was a really cold night.

I really loved this hotel and its really nice location. I just wish I would've stayed there longer since I really wanted to use one of their bikes to go ride along the beach during the day!

I will definitely be back though since my brother, who is now a marine will be stationed in San Diego! :D

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed 5 March 2010

First, the location is phenomenal, right near everything, including the airport and car rental services, but on a dead end street at the end of a spit so the traffic is minimal. The hotel setting is wonderful, with fantastic views of the bay on one side, the marina on the other. There is a nice bay front park and walkway across from the hotel for picnics and viewing the San Diego skyline. Quiet at night (except the occasional military air craft-it is San Diego after all), and not too busy during the day.

The hotel itself is kept immaculately clean, as are the rooms, and has a lot of charm. The only hotel on Shelter Island to offer free parking. The pool and hot tub were clean, fun, and easily accessible from our room via a sidewalk and key entry gate. Our rooms were doubles, which were very tastefully decorated, comfortable beds and pillows, wide screen LCD tv, hidden refrigerator in the dresser, and the nicest bathroom of any place I have ever stayed (the extend-able lighted make up mirror was so useful, I'm looking to buy one for my home bathroom).

The staff are one of the biggest assets of this hotel: Danny a the front desk managed to get us checked in over 4 hours early, and one of the other gentlemen, who's name I have unfortunately forgotten (but its the nice man with the cool British accent), took the time to print out our boarding passes for our flight home at the front desk! Friendly, knowledgeable, courteous professionals at all levels.

If you are going to San Diego for business or pleasure, this is the place to stay. I have no idea why this hotel doesn't have at least a 4 star rating, if not higher, it deserves it!

Oh yes, complimentary cute semi-domesticated ducks will great you in the parking lot upon arrival! Love this hotel, and I wish I were back in sunny San Diego again right now.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank SJtravelerMN
UK
Reviewed 4 March 2010

After a few minutes delay in booking in (didn't get the confirmation from Octopus!!), I was compensated by an upgrade to a fab room in the new block, Casa Marina. With a balcony overlooking the bay, it was a lovely clean, comfortable room. Friendly maid service every day, and coffee maker, decent hairdryer and fridge, made my stay very comfortable. Bit chilly at this time of year, and extra blanket supplied within 5 minutes of asking for it. Met my family there and used one of the 2 pool areas a couple of times, again nice and clean and well serviced. Ate in the hotel restaraunt a couple of times and found good, reasonably priced food. All in all, very pleased with the hotel and could find nothing to complain about, and believe me I am very fussy!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

1 Thank cal60Uk
Richland, WA
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I was really impressed by this place. This isn’t your typical hotel because all the rooms are spread out over a few different buildings. This might seem like an inconvenience, but it actually adds to the “resort” feel of it.

My boyfriend and I arrived before the check-in time and they didn’t have a room available, so they asked us to come back later. This wasn’t a problem because we were starving for lunch. We came back a couple hours later and our room was still unavailable. The man at the front desk apologized and upgraded our room for free! We got a view of the water and yachts. Plus, since our room was in the corner of the building, we had large windows on two walls. No free breakfast here, but the location is great and there are tons of nearby restaurants/eateries. Considering location, room quality and service, the price of this place is unbeatable. I will be staying here whenever I’m in San Diego again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple