“weekend fun”

Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
Ranked #16 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Catamaran in May. We have 2 boys and always like to be on the bay so they can ride scooters and play. I know that it isnt easy to get those rooms but Nicole Conception always seems to make sure our requests are met. Nicole is the reason our stay is always so enjoyable and the reason we keep coming back each year.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We just got back from 4 days at the Catamaran and we can't wait to go back for a longer stay. Yes; some of the tiki decor is dated and the kitchenettes (aka suite) are circa 1970 but the resort makes up for it in outstanding service, landscaping, views, activities and more. I would not change their priorities on how they invest in the property. It's a family owned resort and you can tell they take care of their staff. Not once did we encounter anyone who greeting us with anything other than an enthusiastic smile. While I enjoy a Hyatt or Westin as much as the next person; I liked that this place was an original. We had a million dollar view of the ocean and La Jolla in the tower with very comfy beds. The grounds were flawless with gorgeous tropical plants everywhere, koi ponds, toucans, baby ducks and tiki torches at night. There's a calm bay with a large beach and grassy area that many families enjoyed. Across the street, is the ocean and faster paced ocean lifestyle. You can rent body boards, bikes, paddleboards and we did it all. There's a boardwalk that circles the bay and connects with the ocean boardwalk. If salt water isn't your thing; go to the pool and jacuzzi. Keep up the great work Catamaran!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Desti5117
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The resort location is outstanding! You can park you walk and walk or ride a bike everywhere. The tiki feeling in the lobby is fun and the kids loved the parrots, but were very upset to learn that they couldn't fly. The food was great and the beach is gorgeous. The complimentary boat cruise is a fun way to watch the fireworks at Sea World.

The rooms are in need of updating. I appreciated the kitchenette , but it was not equipped enough to make anything. On the upside, the rooms are clean and the beds comfortable.

**Tip: if you have children, catch the boat before 9. The passengers on the 9 o'clock trip had been partying prior to boarding and not very aware of the kids on board.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brenda C
Reviewed 1 June 2014

During our stay last week, we had great service with everyone we encountered at the Catamaran. Everyone was very kind and helpful with any question we had. Jen F. at the Moray's Bar was even more exceptional! She was very nice and very approachable during our whole trip. The hotel is on a great piece of the beach and overall is a relaxing place to stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Diego and I would stay there again next time I go back to San Diego.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great location with the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire M
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Celebrated a birthday for 5 days here. The location is 10/10. Quiet bay, path in front with walkers, joggers, bikers etc. right between hotel and bay - great people watching. Across street from busier but fun mission boardwalk. The hotel is nice - we had ground level room where we could walk right out to the beach. Loved it. Ate in restaurant one night - my opinion - over priced for quality of food. Plus, there are so many places around to choose from within walking distance, you won't go hungry! pool and jacuzzi nice - wish bar in pool area was open in evening. Grounds are gorgeous - meticulous! Air conditioner leaked in closet in our room and got all of our hanging clothes wet - not fun . Maintenance fixed the AC next morning. Inconvenience and not much of a response from the hotel. Also - ground floor roooms with patio furniture is not evenly distributed and 4 calls to the office asking for patio chair etc. got us nowhere. We borrowed neighbors chair after they moved out. Location is great though - you'll like this place.!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is my favorite hotel to stay in while in San Diego. It is a nice hotel with beautiful paradise grounds. Very close to beach - 1 block away. Staff is very friendly. The front desk manager upgraded our room to a poolside room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I'm a returning guest of the Catamaran, and I swear it gets better every time I come back! One of the most important parts of a hotel stay is the check in, and Sandra nailed it! She was incredibly warm, friendly, accommodating, and really started my visit on a high note! She listened to my preferences in what I wanted in a room and what I wanted to accomplish on my stay. The view from my room was breathtaking, accessible to everything, and incredibly comfortable. I love working out at the gym here; it even has a view of the beach! I can't wait to come back this summer!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends