I didn't pay for this stay so I can't really comment on its value/affordability.
Hotel is on Mission Bay and there is plenty to do for those inclined to athletics and/or water sports. In addition to plain old running or swimming, you can rent bicycles, kayaks, paddle boats, sail boats, paddle boats and more. There is also a swimming pool for those not interested in real water.
Hotel is only about 1/2 hour from the airport. The Pacific ocean is about 2 blocks away. Sea World and the San Diego Zoo are within easy reach. There is an amusement park of sorts - another kid activity - about 1 1/2 miles south, but family who went there weren't impressed. There are nightly fireworks from Sea World that can be seen across Mission Bay (they end about 10 p.m. PT).
Two things to pay attention to: a) the only lodging in the facility that has an elevator is the "Tower" - all others are two-level with steps so be careful what you pack and b) if you are driving, do not bring a full-size or bigger car - the parking facility has some of the smallest spaces I've ever seen.
We were there for a family reunion - 20 of us - and although I didn't do any of the planning, I can say that we were treated well and, from observation, I can say that their special event (catering and Audio Visual) crews are second to none. There were two weddings, a reception, a wedding shower, a movie on the beach and a Luau for 680 people while we were there.
Again, absent information on the cost of lodging, I think it's a great place to stay, particularly if you have kids.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the few resorts on Mission Bay to not charge a resort fee! The Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa is a paradisiacal destination located on the shores of Mission Bay and mere steps from San Diego’s famous Pacific Beach. With features including lush tropical gardens and private beach, this Polynesian-themed hotel offers an ideal blend of fun and tranquility all year-round. Established in 1958, the Catamaran is a paradise featuring more than 1,000 varieties of exotic plants and animals from around the world. Palm trees, bamboo, waterfalls and koi ponds appeal to the senses, while playful parrots delight and intrigue guests. The Catamaran’s architecture, reminiscent of the traditional Colonial Hawaiian style, boasts accents including totem poles handcrafted in Bali, art pieces such as tapa cloth from Vanuatu and a beautiful front desk constructed of Black Koa wood imported directly from Tahiti. At the Catamaran, guests are checked into one of 310 guest rooms, studios or suites, each with a private balcony or patio that opens to stunning views of Mission Bay, the Pacific Beach neighborhood and coastline, or the hotel’s lush tropical gardens. All guests are provided a full range of amenities including complimentary Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service. On-site dining options include Oceana Coastal Kitchen, rated by Zagat as one of San Diego’s most anticipated restaurants of 2015 and featuring chef-driven surf and turf dishes. Next door to this signature restaurant is Moray’s, where guests can sip on a signature Moray’s Mai Tai, savor a local craft beer and enjoy daily happy hour specials. Both venues feature a blend of indoor and patio spaces, the latter lined with tiki torches, fire pit tables and lush palms. Guests may also choose to grab a bite poolside at the Catamaran’s full bar and grill which serves up barbecue favorites during the spring and summer months. Another standout summer special is the Catamaran’s signature luaus, featuring live performers that guide guests through the cultures of the South Pacific as they enjoy a Hawaiian buffet. Those who prefer to spend their time on the water can opt for a cruise on the Bahia Belle, a replica of an 1860s-era sternwheeler that tours around Mission Bay. Step back in time and enjoy a colorful sunset from the top deck, or kick up your heels as the vessel becomes a vibrant nightlife destination with live entertainment and a full-service bar. The Catamaran Spa—the only beachfront spa in San Diego—offers a South Pacific-inspired menu of treatments including massages, facials, body wraps, hydrotherapy treatments and more—carried out with all-natural marine and botanical elements. Additional wellness amenities include an outdoor pool and hot tub, beach cabanas, an open air fitness center, seasonal outdoor yoga classes and more. Further vacation activities include rental paddleboards, sailboats, kayaks, surfboards, bicycles and Segways. The Catamaran is also located within the beach towns Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, where guests can stroll the boardwalk or the iconic Crystal Pier, play at the beach or experience a variety of cafes and boutiques. The resort is also within 10 miles of major San Diego attractions such as SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Downtown’s Gaslamp District and the San Diego International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catamaran Resort & Spa San Diego
- Catamaran Hotel Mission Bay
- Catamaran Resort San Diego
- Catamaran San Diego