“Budget Friendly - Kid Friendly”

Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area
Ranked #170 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Make sure you get a newly renovated room, facing the north (to avoid the highway noise), and make sure your A/C works!

Not a bad place, this year we decided to extend our vacation by a week and stay at kid friendly budget hotels whereas we normally only stay at newly renovated Hampton, Wingate, Holiday Inn Express, etc. on the low side, or resorts. This wasn't bad, it was pretty clean, but still "lipstick on a pig" to some degree. It's real close to the highway, real close to Sea World or the beaches (5 min).

I'd stay here again, it seemed better than some of the other budget choices in the area which other family members booked at. For breakfast, although they have a light offering, I would recommend visiting Ricky's (across the highway, short drive).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lostdownsouth
ComfortInnZooGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am pleased to tell you that beginning May 31st, we will be offering a better selection at breakfast including scrambled eggs and sausage. We would love to see you back!

Reviewed 7 May 2011

I used to stay here many years ago under different owership and always enjoyed the property.
Now the Comfort Inn owners have remodled and upgraded at least 80% of the hotel. Beds were real comfortable, shower was good, and large rooms with most amenities you need. Good flat-screen tv and a mini fridge. I was quite comfortable.

I'll pass along some "could be better" items which some will appreciate knowing:
The sink and cabinetry are outside of the actual bathroom. This can cut both ways. Lighting in the bathroom is poor from the single cfl bulb. No micro. Door closures are very noisy up and down the hall. Wireless internet connection seems slow. Parking is an extra cost.

Location is a good one for getting almost anywhere you need to go around San Diego.

Room Tip: freeway side and away from freeway. ask
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your positive comments about your stay here and the nice renovations. We are pleased to hear you liked them and were comfortable. We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed here for the first part of our vacation in Southern California. The location was great for us since we were there to see Old Town, SeaWorld and the Zoo. The rooms were small for our family of 6, but it did the trick for a few nights. Seemed fairly clean and the kids loved the pool area. Staff was friendly enough and were always helpful. Breakfast was busy but good.

The only real complaint that I have about this hotel was the bathroom fan! It was super loud and there was no way of turning on the light without the fan coming on as well. Made it hard for me to start my day without disturbing anyone who chose to sleep a little longer!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
ComfortInnZooGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Thank you for your response. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with the exception of the bathroom fan. Thanks to your comments, I am having my engineers take a look at this to come up with a solution to ease the noise level of the fan.
April Risk

Reviewed 13 April 2011

Claimed that this is a newer remodeled hotel however our room and every other room had insulation coming off the doors or missing. This missing insulation caused light to come through when we were trying to sleep and you could hear details from every conversation of people walking by. The air conditioner looked like it had not been cleaned for months and when we turned it on dust filled the room. When we called the front desk to address the above issues, the female front desk attendant was rude and commented that the "maintenance worker gets off at 11 and probably will not have time to fix the problems." We insisted that the problems be fixed and she reluctantly sent the maintenance worker to our room. Why do paying customers have to insist on basic customer service? In general, a very noisy hotel with very thin walls. We definitely will not stay at this hotel in the future as first impressions are lasting impressions. Why does the General Manager continue to apologize as this is little consolation for the inconvenience and unpleasant stays after-the-fact.

Room Tip: Do not stay there.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
ComfortInnZooGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2011

We respond to each tripadvisor.com posting (whether positive or negative) because we are concerned with everyone's experience at the hotel and want to acknowledge the good as well as the bad. I'm very sorry you had a negative experience. The front desk agent was absolutely wrong and should have responded differently. Both the a/c unit and agent's attitude have been addressed. Thank you again for bringing it to my attention.
Sincerely, April Risk, General Manager.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

Arrived for a one night stay with kids. Easy check in, except for the front desk clerk was very rude. Not sure if she was having a bad day or if it was normal attitude. Went to our room, was not the suite I was told about on the phone reservations, let the front staff know about the problem, instead of offering a solution, asked me if I wanted to check out. I declined, why put my family through all the hassle of moving bags and trying to find another hotel on a Saturday night. To make a long story short, the two room suite was very small. I am sure the hotel staff may say it isn't a two room suite, but it's small, really small. I think the worst part of my stay at this hotel was the thin walls. Very thin walls. I have never been at a more noisy hotel. I was in room 224. Avoid that room at all costs. I had the people above me stomping, I could hear them talking all night, and I could hear their TV shows. I could also hear the people in the next room talking as well.

Like I mentioned, the hotel was clean, the room was clean, but if you are looking for a place for your family to get a good night sleep and rest. It's not going to happen here. It is very LOUD. Also the rooms are really small.

Room Tip: Ask for earplugs.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
ComfortInnZooGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2011

Please accept my sincere apologies for the behavior of our front desk agent. Being rude or having a bad day is not acceptable and it has been addressed. Instead of asking you if you wanted to check out, she should have explained that the hotel was sold out that night due to Spring Break. We would love the opportunity to earn your business back if you come back to San Diego and show you that your comments have made a difference. Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed 24 March 2011

Reasonable rate, clean room, nice continental breakfast (but very busy), clean & very warm pool. We had a king size bed and two pac n plays for our 20 month old twins and still had a ton of floor space for the toddlers to play. Great customer service, friendly staff and very helpful. Good location between the Zoo and Sea World.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for such positive feedback. We are always pleased to hear when our guests have had an enjoyable vacation. Our goal is 100% satisfaction and we hope that you will choose us again if you return to San Diego.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

The stay was great, there was no problems with the pool, security, breakfast, or the comfort of this hotel. Yes, the rooms are small if you have a suite but the value is great. The breakfast was a busy place, I recommend going when they open or after 845. There is some noise but what can you expect if you have children. This is a kid friendly hotel. I did not find anything unsanitary. The location was within beaches, Sea World, Zoo, Gaslamp area, Harbor and the Historic downtown. There was a total of 6 people in our room, 3 adults and 3 kids. The sofa bed was a little uncomfortable as stated by my husband but overall it was a great place....Also parking is a $7.95 a night but I seen security at night so worth it knowing that it was watched..

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your positive comments. It is always rewarding to be able to relay these to the staff. We look forward to seeing you again should your travel plans lead you back to San Diego.