“Very nice!”

Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area
Ranked #171 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had to go to San Diego Comic Con for press purposes, so I was assigned this hotel via the Con's hotel lottery. While it was a bit of pain getting to the Gaslamp/Convention area in terms of the cost of a cab and/or riding the Con's shuttle, I'd definitely stay here again.

The room was very nice and clean. I brought my family with me and we had plenty of room and never got on each other's nerves LOL!

There's a free breakfast that's OK at best -- I've had much better free breakfasts at other hotels -- but it's far from being "horrible." IMO, I'd go down the road to a breakfast spot if you really desire a "proper" meal.

As someone who likes to workout, there's a very nice little gym available with both cardio and weight machines/weights to use. Also, the room was big enough so that I could workout in my room via one of my workout DVD's. If you're a home workout person, bring your DVDs!

As far as the staff, everyone was awesome and very helpful. We had to get a taxi several times and they were more than happy to do that for us at the front desk. Checking in was a breeze as well.

Negatives? Not many to be honest. The place might be due for a bit of an update aesthetically, but that's really a petty critique. I think it would be nice to have a little bar/lounge/restaurant area right there on the hotel. There is a steakhouse right next to it, but I'm not counting it as part of the hotel. Also, there's NOTHING near good restaurant-wise that doesn't require a bit of a drive.

I will say that there are several delivery food services available -- though most aren't all that great. If it were me, I'd go to Old Town or the Downtown/Gaslamp area if you want to sit down and eat at a "regular" establishment. Also, there's a small grocery/liquor store that will come get you via a shuttle and bring you back to the hotel! That was very awesome.

Bottom line: I recommend this place for families on vacation that have their own means of transportation. If you're in SD for business, like I was, or need to be downtown/Gaslamp, this isn't your place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cowboy_Bill_60

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews but found they were accurate. Yes the rooms need updating, smell musty and the breakfast was crowded however the price was reasonable, it was centrally located and the beds were comfortable. Staff was helpful. If you stay more than a few days, the breakfast gets old as they do not change out the menu.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cals503
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Very clean and comfortable, reception staff were all very helpful. Big room. The breakfast buffet was nice although an environmental nightmare (disposable plates and cutlery.) No public transport links nearby. Would recommend.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo SeaWorld San Diego Area. It is through such feedback that we may continually strive to improve our product and service standards. I apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn and had two adjoining rooms. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Major disappointment with breakfast room. First off, I note that manager Stephanie keeps apologizing for the poor facilities. Hey wake up management, convert a couple of rooms and add on additional space. Will it take a law suit for you folks to realize that this is an accident waiting to happen? The space is seriously over crowed with children all over the place. I don't know about anyone else, but I do not want to have hot beverages spilled on me or any children with me. Also, there is no place to sit in the room so guess what? All these plates of food and drinks have to be taken back to your room. I had to ferry all food for three children back to the room and then leave them alone while I got my breakfast. Like having your kids eating off a filthy hotel room floor? Well if you stay here, they will be. There was one poor girl running around like crazy trying to maintain the food, with people asking her a question every second. Manager Stephanie, why not try working there by yourself one morning and see how great it is.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Angella L
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms were clean. The staff was friendly, but the breakfast buffet is more aggravation than it is worth. Every day it is overcrowded in the small room where the buffet is. And every day they were out on something. One day tea bags, next day bananas, next day bagels. We ate out twice just to avoid the hassle there. They also charge 10.95 for parking a night in their cramped parking spots on site. The negatives made this a negative experience. Try elsewhere

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank packmule92
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hello Packmule92,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your recent stay with us in San Diego. I am pleased that you found the rooms to be clean and the staff friendly I know that is a make or break for a hotel stay. Our staff strives to provide exceptional service and comfortable and clean rooms. I apologize that breakfast did not meet your expectations.

I hope that you choose to stay with us again during your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

For my honeymoon we stayed here for just one night. The service was quick and easy. The price was reasonable. The location was perfect and the hotel was in good condition. We got to watch free fireworks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Congratulations on your wedding I hope you had a great rest of your honeymoon.

We look forward to having you be our guest again during your next San Diego visit.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel had plenty parking space. The room was clean and comforters were not so generic, bed and pillows were real comfortable. We had two tv's and didn't have to fight over watching a certain channel. the restroom was real clean too. The complimentary breakfast was good but, not great. I even saw two guys taking trays full of apples and other items out of the breakfast room. Overall the experience was good can't complain.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank theoneon

Good Afternoon TheOneOn,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us in San Diego. I am glad that you found our property to have a good value for the price paid. We are excited about our bedding and I am glad that you were able to enjoy it. We just recently installed it in all our rooms and we are very happy with the added comfort it has provided.

We look forward to having you be our guest again in the future.