“Bring your own breakfast!”

Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area
Ranked #160 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix
“Bring your own breakfast!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The things that I will grant this hotel is that my room was large, my bed was made every day, the room itself was moderately clean, and the water pressure in the shower was good. Still, I will never stay in this hotel - or another Comfort Inn - again. For the price, I expected something more...

The whole place is in desperate need of a makeover. The lighting in my room was extremely poor (dim, old lampshades, etc.). The light over the mirror looked like it dated back to 1976. The fan in the bathroom was unbearably loud.

Every day, I came back to a floor littered with menus that had been slipped under the door, then during the one evening when I was inside the room, three more menus were slipped under the door. These are in addition to the ones scattered in the hallways. Translation: They allow ANYONE to roam through the halls.

Cheap, bargain-basement quality of two most-used traveler items: shampoo and coffee. The "shampoo" is a no-name that only covers a head of short hair AND turns hair to straw (they do not provide conditioner; almost put moisturizer in my hair). The no-name "coffee" with accompanying packets? The dollar-store-type packaging says it all...

Breakfast was 90% carbohydrates, and anything non-carb was inedible. EVERYTHING except the fruit comes from a pre-packaged source. The eggs looked like they were originally powdered, the "gravy" looked gray and had the consistency of glue, the "sausage" patties were hockey pucks of grease. The muffins and pastries looked old every day. Not even the coffee is real. Juices and coffee come from automatic dispensers. On Friday morning, they had run out of some of the hot food by 9:30am.

For the price level, one expects better quality...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tomball, Texas, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had to go to San Diego Comic Con for press purposes, so I was assigned this hotel via the Con's hotel lottery. While it was a bit of pain getting to the Gaslamp/Convention area in terms of the cost of a cab and/or riding the Con's shuttle, I'd definitely stay here again.

The room was very nice and clean. I brought my family with me and we had plenty of room and never got on each other's nerves LOL!

There's a free breakfast that's OK at best -- I've had much better free breakfasts at other hotels -- but it's far from being "horrible." IMO, I'd go down the road to a breakfast spot if you really desire a "proper" meal.

As someone who likes to workout, there's a very nice little gym available with both cardio and weight machines/weights to use. Also, the room was big enough so that I could workout in my room via one of my workout DVD's. If you're a home workout person, bring your DVDs!

As far as the staff, everyone was awesome and very helpful. We had to get a taxi several times and they were more than happy to do that for us at the front desk. Checking in was a breeze as well.

Negatives? Not many to be honest. The place might be due for a bit of an update aesthetically, but that's really a petty critique. I think it would be nice to have a little bar/lounge/restaurant area right there on the hotel. There is a steakhouse right next to it, but I'm not counting it as part of the hotel. Also, there's NOTHING near good restaurant-wise that doesn't require a bit of a drive.

I will say that there are several delivery food services available -- though most aren't all that great. If it were me, I'd go to Old Town or the Downtown/Gaslamp area if you want to sit down and eat at a "regular" establishment. Also, there's a small grocery/liquor store that will come get you via a shuttle and bring you back to the hotel! That was very awesome.

Bottom line: I recommend this place for families on vacation that have their own means of transportation. If you're in SD for business, like I was, or need to be downtown/Gaslamp, this isn't your place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cowboy_Bill_60
Visalia, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews but found they were accurate. Yes the rooms need updating, smell musty and the breakfast was crowded however the price was reasonable, it was centrally located and the beds were comfortable. Staff was helpful. If you stay more than a few days, the breakfast gets old as they do not change out the menu.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cals503
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Very clean and comfortable, reception staff were all very helpful. Big room. The breakfast buffet was nice although an environmental nightmare (disposable plates and cutlery.) No public transport links nearby. Would recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo SeaWorld San Diego Area. It is through such feedback that we may continually strive to improve our product and service standards. I apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn and had two adjoining rooms. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Major disappointment with breakfast room. First off, I note that manager Stephanie keeps apologizing for the poor facilities. Hey wake up management, convert a couple of rooms and add on additional space. Will it take a law suit for you folks to realize that this is an accident waiting to happen? The space is seriously over crowed with children all over the place. I don't know about anyone else, but I do not want to have hot beverages spilled on me or any children with me. Also, there is no place to sit in the room so guess what? All these plates of food and drinks have to be taken back to your room. I had to ferry all food for three children back to the room and then leave them alone while I got my breakfast. Like having your kids eating off a filthy hotel room floor? Well if you stay here, they will be. There was one poor girl running around like crazy trying to maintain the food, with people asking her a question every second. Manager Stephanie, why not try working there by yourself one morning and see how great it is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angella L
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms were clean. The staff was friendly, but the breakfast buffet is more aggravation than it is worth. Every day it is overcrowded in the small room where the buffet is. And every day they were out on something. One day tea bags, next day bananas, next day bagels. We ate out twice just to avoid the hassle there. They also charge 10.95 for parking a night in their cramped parking spots on site. The negatives made this a negative experience. Try elsewhere

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank packmule92
Stephanie D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo / SeaWorld Area, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hello Packmule92,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your recent stay with us in San Diego. I am pleased that you found the rooms to be clean and the staff friendly I know that is a make or break for a hotel stay. Our staff strives to provide exceptional service and comfortable and clean rooms. I apologize that breakfast did not meet your expectations.

I hope that you choose to stay with us again during your next visit to San Diego.

Sacramento
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For my honeymoon we stayed here for just one night. The service was quick and easy. The price was reasonable. The location was perfect and the hotel was in good condition. We got to watch free fireworks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Congratulations on your wedding I hope you had a great rest of your honeymoon.

We look forward to having you be our guest again during your next San Diego visit.