“Excellent Hotel and Staff”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town
Ranked #44 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent Hotel and Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

When searching for hotels in San Diego, this was not our first choice but I am very happy that we chose this hotel. This is a very nice and clean hotel. Very friendly staff. They gave my friends and myself goody packs when we checked for being a member of the IHG club. Sure it was not much but it is these smallest things that sometimes make some of the biggest differences. I loved the location of this hotel. Not too far from the airport. Sometimes we would just sit outside and watch the planes land and take-off. There are also a large number of Mexican restaurants close to the vicinity. These were some of the best authentic Mexican food I ever had. The trolley service is also near by. You have to walk a bit but still very convenient. Overall this was an excellent stay and would check in again next time I visit San Diego.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shamsul S
Suzy B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review at Holiday Inn Express Old Town. We love getting guest feedback as it helps us improve our business and grow. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Old Town. You do us a great service by providing your positive feedback with us. I will be sure to share these comments with our team here. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you at The Holiday Inn Express Old Town.

Suzy B.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Polish first
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Clean and nice rooms, but the ones facing the freeway are a bit noisy. If you can, select a room facing tue other way.
Room was clean, but the hallway smells of old carpet.
Breakfast was acceptable for the type of hotel, But at 180 a night I think it is a bit overpriced. The location, however, is excelent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carlos S
Suzy B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
I'm sorry to hear that your stay was not one hundred percent satisfactory. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Hamilton, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We waited 25 minutes for the shuttle after a 5 hour flight from Maui. Once the shuttle arrived, a bunch of other people jumped ahead of us onto the van while we waited to put our bags in the back of the van. We were told that the van was full and the driver would come back for us again in about a half hour. It was 10:30 already, so we hired a taxi. So much for the free shuttle. I choose this hotel because of the free shuttle to the airport and old town so was very disappointed. The driver and check in person said there was nothing they could do, so I gave them suggestions a to how they could fix the situation. The ride back to the airport was perfect and the driver was lovely. The hotel itself was ok. Slow elevator, so we took the stairs with our luggage. Would not stay again. Would stay at another hotel and pay for taxi, which I did anyway.

Room Tip: The rooms were all very basic
3 Thank mricker
Suzy B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I appreciate you taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. I have spoken to the proper department managers and will look into the matter. . Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

For people who like small convenient friendly hotel with kind helpful staff, this is it. The room's not too big but sufficient for comfort.
the underground parking is accessible from the room by elevator. However to get the car to this parking is a bit of struggle due to its modest size.
The breakfast hall is a little too small and the variety of food served seem to be less than other Holiday Inn I stayed.
I want to San Diego for a 2 days 1 to the san Deigo zoo, and another day to Safari.
I will comeback to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank yingsaks
Thank you for sending your valuable feedback to the hotel. Comments like yours enables us to target problem area's so similar situations can be avoided in the future. I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you on your vacation. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and we did not meet our nor your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and hope you'll consider returning to our hotel again soon.

Sterling, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have stayed at many excellent IHG properties. This is our favorite. We love the location, just a walk or shuttle ride to Old Town. It is also with in walking distance of the trolley.

The best feature of the hotel is the staff.

We would like to thank:
Yasmine & Kylene for their help with our reservation.
Dolores, Glades & Ghada for the awesome breakfasts.
Vangie for putting us in "our room".
Alex & Hadir for the shuttle rides.
Josh for the front desk help and for taking our nightly photo.

We feel like family when we stay here and we see the staff interact with all the guest in this way.

Room Tip: We stayed on the freeway side of the hotel, but had no issue with the noise. You may want to reques...
3 Thank jeffhippen
Suzy B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments, we are so glad you enjoyed your visit. A hotel is defined by the kind of service offered to its guests. We are very happy to learn that you had a great stay and wrote about your experience at Holiday Inn Express Old Town. Our staff is thrilled to read your comments. We will share your feedback with our entire staff as comments such as yours ensure we are doing our job correctly and make our day! we truly appreciate your positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to San Diego, have a great day!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had to make an emergency visit to San Diego because of a family crisis. We had stayed at this hotel in May 2013, and thought highly of it at the time, so I booked a weekend visit, during July 4th weekend. I got a lovely room, down first floor hall, near the breakfast lounge. Everything was clean and nice as it had been last year. ALL the desk personnel were so friendly and helpful. I was stressed by the circumstances of my visit, and they helped considerably in relieving my stress. One young man even fixed my cellphone for me! The entire staff was extremely nice. I got reasonably priced taxis to and from the hospital thru them, got the airport shuttle to go home, and I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Very close in proximity to everything in San Diego too.

Room Tip: Been upstairs and on first floor, both quiet choices.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Fran R
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. We are glad we were able to accommodate you at the last minute at the Holiday Inn Express Old Town. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, clean rooms and the location of the hotel. Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Old Town, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The customer service at HIE was great and our room was very clean, I guess those are the most important things in any hotel. We chose this place because parking, breakfast and wifi were included. However, I honestly think McDonalds serves a better breakfast. The eggs were powdered, the bacon was flabby paper, the cinnamon rolls were like Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits with icing...The free coffee and juice were appreciated, and they did have a decent selection of yogurt and cereal. Ultimately I wish we had stayed at a nicer place and just paid for a real breakfast somewhere. Parking was ridiculous - the spaces were hard to fit even our small Kia Rio rental into, and when we complained about large cars double-parked in spaces marked Compact, they said there was nothing they could do.

We did take advantage of the shuttle rides down to Old Town (about a 10-12 minute walk). Jose at the front desk gave suggestions for a local restaurant which was very good, and gave us a card for a free appetizer. There is a small outdoor seating area that allowed smoking, but the view is just a freeway. Again it worked fine, but I wouldn't rush to stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the highway side if you don't want to hear the freeway traffic.
3 Thank HappyFoodie2
Suzy B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback, your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the breakfast and the inconvenience the issue you have encountered during your stay with us may have caused. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.