“Centrally located, smallish size suite”

Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area
Ranked #172 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 3 September 2014

This hotel is what you'd expect from a Comfort Suites--middle of the road.
Negatives:
*The suite was very narrow; hardly any space between the end of the bed and the dresser, only one of us could walk by at a time.
*The air conditioner is in the living room area with a fan to direct the air in the wall between the living room and bedroom area. The fan strength could be adjust however it blew cold air right down on the bed and was very noisy.
*The microwave had burn marks inside and smelled when used.
*There is a coffee maker in the room but for some reason the paper cups for coffee are marked 'Do not microwave.' Really?

Positives:
*Close to downtown, Sea World, Balboa Park, Old Town and Mission Beach.
*Comfortable bed and pillows.
*Non-smoking hotel
*Easy access to freeways.
*Free wi-fi
*Good price for a suite

Probably will not book again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

All this hotel has going for it is front staff friendly. My family stayed for 4 nights. When I booked they said the had gameroom, which is not ture! My nephew found a bug in his bed, bathroom door has no locks, extra blanket had nasty brush in it and rooms where hot. There elevator permit have been expired since 3/2014. To top that off I hadto take myson and husband to doctors because they started to get a rash which we found out it was flea bites (probably that bug my nephew found on his bed)! I asked for fresh towels and for garbage to be picked up while we where out and it didn't happen!! To make it even better when I called customer care to make a complaint I got hung up x2 and when I finally spoke to someone (Veronica) was very rude!! Stay at your own risk,you may have to pick off fleas or deal with there bites!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Art C, General Manager at Quality Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at the Comfort Suites Mission Valley SeaWorld Area in San Diego.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of Choice Hotels for failing to meet your expectations regarding your overall experience on your recent visit. We are disappointed to hear that this hotel's cleanliness and staff performance was not up to par with Choice Hotels' standards. We have made the feedback regarding the condition of the rooms and quality of service available to management for their review.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give Choice Hotels another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations.

Kind Regards,

Art Collantes

Reviewed 2 September 2014

This is a nice property and our stay was very pleasant. Not fancy but comfortable with refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, coffee maker, and ice available in the vending area. Our room, a King Suite, was clean and everything was in working order. It was small, however—like a standard hotel room divided into 2 rooms, but they were 2 separate rooms, unlike some hotels that advertise themselves as “suites” but are really one semi-divided room. A TV was provided in each room and multipliers were provided for charging up several devices. The pool and surrounding grounds were clean and there were even pool towels available. The room floors and pool/patio area were secured so a room key was required for access. Breakfast offered hot (including waffles) as well as cold offerings and was kept stocked. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The location was great—right off the highway and less than 15 minutes from Sea World and Balboa Park, which were our primary destinations, and the airport. There was the added bonus of a mall, restaurants, and shopping area 5 minutes away. I would have liked to see more care taken to keep the patio clean during breakfast as napkins and other small items tended to blow off the tables into the bushes and were unsightly; the area was cleaned afterwards but not during breakfast hours. One thing I did find completely objectionable was the parking fee. If you are paying for the room you should not have to pay to park a car. Multiple vehicles, okay, but not for the first car. This to me is like paying to use the A/C. If not for that I would have given higher marks. That being said, however, I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: If your room overlooks the patio know that the A/C unit may pull in odors, including from smokers...
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Pleasantly Surprised

My family of two adults, a 5 and 6 year old and I stayed in one of their King suites, which included bunk beds in a separate area.

Booking: I called the hotel 3 weeks in advance. they quoted me about 72 dollars a night. (This is for a Mon - Fri stay) This was lower than any price I found online.

Check In: Very fast and easy. They do not have a bell person go help with luggage, but they do have two carts.

The room: overall the room was very nice. Its a bit small, but still nice for the price. there is a wall AC unit. The bed was very comefortable, and did NOT squeak. there was a desk and chair in the main area, and a 32 inch LCD on the wall.

The second room/sleeping area had bunk beds, and. sliding door to separate the areas. No curtain though so you can see from one area to the other. The room had a small table with two small chairs. There was a dresser with four drawers, and an armoire closet with an iron, ironing board, extra pillow and blanket, and some hangers. There was also a 32 inch lcd in this area.

The Bathroom: standard tub/shower. lots of towels and plenty of toiletries. there is an escape fan and a window. Beware: the window did not have a screen. Also included was a hair dryer.

Housekeeping: our room was cleaned every day, no problems at all.

Included Breakfast: this one is awesome. hot breakfast, eggs, saussage, pastries, toast, yogurt, fruit, milk, coffee, cocoa, OJ and cranberry juice, oatmeal, cold cereal, and two waffle irons so you can make fresh waffles. the area opens at 6 and closes at 9 with plenty of seating.

Extra amenities: the hotel pool is nice, the jacuzzi was not that hot, and the jets didnt work. the fitness room was roomy and plenty of machines. there is a laundry with two washers and dryers, and a business room with two PCs and a printer.

Parking: My only complaint is that they charge for parking. Specifically what bothers me is that I'm paying an extra $8 a night, but not really getting anything special. The hotel is not gated, there is no extra security, not even cameras in the parking lot. The area is not anything special either, not downtown, not in a nightlife area, and not close enough to sea world where you could walk or even take a cab and pay a decent price. Even offering a shuttle to sea world/downtown would make more sense if paying parking.

The whole experience was a good and comfortable one. Great for families with small children on a budget.

Pros:
- price
- comfortable
- hot breakfast
- free wifi
- very clean

Cons:
- small rooms
- NO Free parking
- No shuttle

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We chose this hotel due to its Choice Points needed were lower than other comfort inns/suites & as it says suites, we wanted a suite. The good 1st. The fridge was super cold a major plus for me. The bathroom counter was longer than a much more expensive Marriott down the road. The towel rack was better positioned than said hotel right by the bath. Also helping exit from bathtub. It has a rail to exit bathtub as well. It was clean. They were kind enough to give me extra towels on request twice a day. Only on the 1st night did they not have enough. They did give 4 large towels anyway in the room. More than most hotels. We had 3 adults in the room. There were more covers on bed than a more expensive hotel in the area. I like more covers.

There is a free breakfast. It's ok. The food is fresh. I have seen more choices in prob. more expensive hotels ie. only white plain bagel & white toast bread. 2 hot choices decent sausage & eggs. there are 2 waffle makers so that was great. Plus cereal & yogurt. Plenty of seating inc. an outdoor terrace.

The not so great. The room is NOT a suite its a regular room size (not big) with a glass divider door making it into 2. When the sofabed is down there is no space use the desk. very tight. We had a kingbed suite 3 adults. The a/c unit is a wall unit thing that has 2 setting low & high. Also this is Major in summer it is in the sofabed section so in summer for the bed section get air you Have leave door open anyway making the divider useless. The bathtub was slippy. This seems be a thing with hotels. We all shower. The shower drips too unless turned so tight I struggle to undo it (i'm not strong). The parking is tight too and our room was near an outside door but there was no ramp in for the luggage cart. We have a lot of luggage. So we had to carry it to the cart or push it from lobby further away.

There is a tv in each room half so with kids I'm sure that's great. The pool is in use through the evening hours, great for kids. This is definitely a family stay hotel. Not a bad hotel but if you afford better then trade up if not its clean with free breakfast, a cold fridge & microwave. etc.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I were getting "remarried" in SD for the benefit of his SD friends who couldn't make it to our East Coast wedding. My California matron of honour decided to treat me to a night at a hotel rather than at her house, where I was supposed to stay. It was a surprise, and while her husband had wanted to put me up at the Coronado (where we were spending the next night) my husband didn't want them to spend that much, so she chose here. "Not a dive, but okay" was her summation.

Well, it was a typical Comfort Inn, clean and comfortable, no problems. Of course it was a little more special for me as she had goodies set up for me, from tea and wine and cookies to candles (which I suppose we weren't supposed to have!) and a bubble bath...and I wasn't there long enough to check out the pool or surroundings. It is on a frontage road, so no wondrous vistas...

The bathroom was very large, which was great, as I needed to "steam" my gown, which had to be shoved into carry-on luggage due to airline concerns...I believe the bath was so large because it was a handicapped room. For whatever reason it was great. I could put the gown over the shower bar and use the sink, etc., without getting near it.

Microwave, fridge, coffee maker - the usual amenities. No complaints.

Room Tip: Room seemed to be quiet and was on first floor, so I presume rooms on higher floors are very quiet...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We did Priceline's 'Name Your Price' and we were very pleased with what we ended up with. We had a King Suite on the 3rd Floor. The front desk guy was very sweet and professional. The room was spacious, very clean, and nice and cool when we arrived. The pool didn't have a ton of chairs or a whole lot of space, but it was nice and partly shaded surrounded by a nice garden. The continental breakfast was average in quality, but we appreciated the amount of options and shaded outdoor seating. The amenities were great- fridge, microwave, hair dryer, iron & ironing board. We gad what we needed.

The location of the hotel is not all that exciting- you would need a rental car to go places, but we found it to be very centrally located and a nice spot to come back to.

Room Tip: None of them really have a view, but choose one on the third floor to be up from any noise in the pa...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple