“They Are All The Same . . . a Shame.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley

Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley
Ranked #160 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Flanders, New Jersey
“They Are All The Same . . . a Shame.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

They one thing most people like about Courtyards is that they all the same in layout, décor and amenities. That is what I do not like about them. A couple of weeks ago I stayed at one in Connecticut and was a bit revolted by the hideous wallpaper: Very dark reddish brown with tan branches floor to ceiling, and annoying pictures od stone walkways and a water spotted huge leaf in the bathroom. Now, in San Diego, the same visual attack hit my eyes.
The room was fairly clean but I was grossed out by the toilet. At first, I thought the blackness in the bottom was something for which I would need to leave this hotel. But it turned out to be a moldy stain from it not being properly scrubbed for a very long time.
Another thing I discovered at Marriot is that there is seldom a phone on the desk, but always at the bed. This hotel had (Hooray!) a phone on the desk . . .but it did not work.
The hand soap for the bathroom sink has no soap dish, so in the morning, it was melted into a slimy disgusting pile on the counter top. But the plus amenity was the bath towels. They were great for exfoliating layers of dead skin along with a few layers of live skin.
I have stayed at this hotel before buy I feel it has come down a notch. The staff at check-in was efficient and friendly. But since I have spent hundreds of days in hotels over the past few years I notice what is good or bad. Sorry to say it is just average and not justifiable coverage for the price.

Room Tip: There is an excellent Holiday Inn about a half mile east.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bob B
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Hello Bob B.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us in September.

It's feedback of an experienced traveler like yours that gives us areas of opportunity to focus on. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this stay, compared to the previous ones you've had at our propery. Please rest assured that your comments have been passed on and discussed by the Management team here to follow up and share with the associates at the hotel.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss further and if I can ever be of assistance for future stays at our hotel, to give us another chance to meet and exceed your expectations, I'm only a phone call or email away.

Charlie Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Holtville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I found this hotel online by accident through the Marriott website. I was looking for a hotel near La Jolla since I was going to a class reunion on the beach. This hotel was perfectly located and what a find! I checked in about 2:30 pm and was greeted by the front desk in a most congenial manner and my online requests were met to a tee! I was given a 3rd floor (top floor) room and was absolutely overwhelmed at the wonder of the room. Beautifully appointed furniture, a wonderful king size bed, huge workstation for computer or other electronics, a very large flat screen LG TV with remote and it was close to the bed which is unusual. The bathroom was huge with a separate sink/dressing area with mirrored closets. All of the amenities were just to perfection. A refrigerator, coffeemaker and lots of drawers and space. And a large unique sofa bed to lounge on while watching TV. My only regret was that I could not stay longer to enjoy the hotel. There is a lounge and small snacking cafe in the lobby but didn not get to partake. Upon checking out, I missed the morning breakfast time but the bar staff was able to give me a complimentary cup of Starbucks coffee to go. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling in the north San Diego County area as a rest and relaxation highlight to your trip.

Room Tip: I chose a top floor for the quiet. Even though the hotel is off the freeway, you need to think abou...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Hello Janet M!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us in September! We are always looking for feedback on what we are doing right and what our areas of opportunity may be.

I'm thrilled to hear how wonderful your stay was at our hotel! The Management team all smiled at the title to your review and will be our mantra going forward. Your review is so detailed that we will be able to share it with all the different departments on how wonderful you thought everything was.

I hope you had a fantastic time at your class reunion and once again thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay with us.

If I can ever be of personal assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Spent 3 nights here as part of a wedding party. Very conveniently located to the wedding location which was directly across the street at Karl Strauss Brewery. Very nice updated decor. Friendly staff. Comfortable rooms, although the energy saving lights were a little unpredictable and unreliable. They were on motion sensors and timers, with no switches. They would often take a very long time to turn off, when we could have turned them off ourselves, saving more energy! Also, the rate did not include breakfast. There was the little Marriott cafe in the lobby, with very limited and very expensive options. Other than that, the only nearby restaurants were the McDonald's in the next block, and Chili's a few blocks away. We spent a night prior to our stay at the Holiday Inn a few blocks away. The Marriott was a decent stay, but all in all, the Holiday Inn was a much better deal. Bigger rooms, lower rates, and breakfast included. If you need to stay in the Sorrento Mesa area, pick the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank easnyder
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hello phoxy03!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your stay at our hotel, the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa. I'm thrilled to hear that our product, guest services and overall cleanliness met your expectations.

I'm glad we could be the hotel of choice for the wedding you attended and hope that you enjoyed your time with friends and family.

If I can ever be of assistance for future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at any time.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very convenient location -- right near I-805 highway. Despite that, it is very quiet.
The hotel itself has Starbucks coffee and basic breakfast. However a better deal is Cafe Opera, two blocks south. If you are into beers, there is a nice brewery across the road.
It is fairly easy to get to La Jolla, and getting to downtown is also easy.
Downside -- there is nothing to do in the near vicinity (you are mainly surrounded by Qualcomm buildings), and you have to have a car.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hello Zm_Gorynych!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa in August! Your scores and comments are very important to the staff and myself to ensure that we know what we are doing right and the areas of opportunity we have to ensure every guest has a great stay.

I'm thrilled to hear that overall, we were a great hotel for you while traveling to the area on business. Your comments will be shared with the entire team at our next daily meeting.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write the review and if I can ever be of assistance for future reservations at our hotel, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at this Courtyard the weekend before a busy conference in LA. We wanted a relaxing transition from the East Coast, quiet evenings, and access to San Diego and La Jolla. For us, this was perfect. The hotel is indeed off the beaten path, in a quiet location, and with easy connections to places we wanted to go and see (15 minutes to downtown). The rooms were up to date, had room darkening curtains, clean bathrooms, and very nice beds. And the people at the front desk were great, offered us directions to places we wanted to go, and helped us navigate the somewhat confusing interchanges on the highways nearby. I would definitely go back here again.

Room Tip: We took a room on the back side facing the interstate but it is quite a ways away and we heard no no...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Hello orth1!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your stay with us in July 2013.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and I am thrilled to hear that your stay was both a productive and relaxing one as well as central to everywhere you wanted to visit in San Diego.

Your comments about the Front Desk staff being great will be shared with them in our next meeting so they can hear about the wonderful job they did.

If I, or anyone on my team, can ever assist with future reservations at our hotel when traveling back out to the San Diego area, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time.

We look forward to your return to our hotel!

Monterey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We did not stay there during the high season so we were able to get a good rate. I was really impressed with how nice the grounds are. The pool, firepit, & lounge are wonderful. The rooms are small but standard for a Courtyard. We will stay there again when the rates are reasonable. :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Hello allijme!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us in February of this year. Even though it was several months ago, your feedback is extremely important to us. I'm thrilled to hear that your stay was a wonderful experience and that you will be staying with us again the next time you visit the San Diego area!

I look forward to sharing your comments with our staff and if there is anything I can do help assist with future reservations, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

We look forward to your return visit!

Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a nice place. Plenty of space in tge rooms, pretty quiet, short walk to Qualcomm, Karl Strauss restaurant, and a local food court. There is free wifi for all at a decent speed.Cons woukd include the minute fitness centre. It is smaller than a guest room and has virtually no floor space. Also the claimed restaurant is a cafe. Not good for an evening meal.

GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear tedbob,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor for your recent stay at our hotel!

I'm glad to hear that the hotel in general met your needs to be both productive and relaxing. It's also important feedback to hear that you thought our fitness center was a little on the small side and our options for dinner weren't what you expected.

We strive to listen to our guests’ comments and take appropriate action to ensure that our future guests have a wonderful stay.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and should I be able to assist you for any future reservations while traveling to the San Diego area, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly, at any time.