“Wonderful staff, but facilities need work.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley

Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley
Ranked #162 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful staff, but facilities need work.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have historically stayed Marriott hotels and always had a great experience. Unfortunately, this is the only hotel where I have questioned my loyalty to Marriott. I have stayed here on two occasions this year for work. The first time, the elevator was broken and this last time, the toilet ran all night and the phone didn't work. Granted, they sent someone to fix it, but the hotel overall needs some renovations. The ladies lobby bathroom toilet had horrible stains in the bowl, and the "gym" consisted of five cardio machines and a handful of hand weights.

One saving grace was that the staff is really nice and energetic, but lacked in proactively helping solve the facility issues. A call or email letting me know the issue was resolved would have gone a long way. I ended up airing my issues via Twitter, and it was only then that I got a quick response and resolution. The maintenance specialist did write a nice letter apologizing after Day 2 of the toilet issue, so that was a nice afterthought.

Again, I typically love Marriott properties, but this one is not a good advocate for the brand. It's a shame too, as the location of this hotel is good and the facility could be something so much greater than it is.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank winelovers1
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Winelovers1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us in May at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa/La Jolla.

I apologize that our facility did not meet your expectations you've come to expect from Marriott hotels. I appreciate you sharing this feedback on where we feel short so that we can address the issues immediately with the Management team and associates.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss any of the issues further and I'd be happy to speak to you about them.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and thank you for your continued loyalty to the Marriott brand.

Charlie Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
m
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Two families, got great rooms side by side on upper level, enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi, breakfast is included in the room price and was awesome, parking near the room, room supplies, soap etc were a bit of challenge

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear akaa2003,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa/La Jolla.

I'm thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay and that our amenities, from the outdoor Jacuzzi, to the breakfast included package met your expectations.

I do apologize if there were some challenges with regards to the parking situation or in-room amenities and if you would like to provide me with any additional information on why these were challenges, it could help us tremendously in ensuring that this doesn't occur with other travelers.

Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and I look forward to speaking with you in details.

Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife, daughter and traveled to San Diego for a water polo tournament. We decided to stay at the Courtyard Sorrento with other team members. The checkin process was first class. Dan Mausten went out of his way to ensure all our needs were meet and exceeded. His out going personality and overall attitude was exception. During our stay, we visited the front desk for various items. The front desk staff all provided excellent service.

The room was modern and extremely well maintained. The Courtyard facility included a fire pit, lounge area and a pool. All were in excellent condition. This is a hotel worth a repeat stay.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms with a patio provide great night time relaxing.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear 25R0bertD,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent stay at our hotel.

I'm thrilled to hear that your expectations were met and in some cases, like Dan's wonderful service, were exceeded.

I look forward to sharing with Dan and the rest of the team members here your great comments.

If I can ever be of personal assistance with future reservations or team blocks, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at any time.

Sincerely
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Courtyard never disappoints. Beginning with the attractive, inviting lobby, and the friendly staff, thsi location was off to a great start. Reserved a suite for this outing and was pleasantly surpised by the large, well appointed room. The choice of furnishings and color schemes were a hit. My only regret is that I was not staying longer. Being away from home is always a pleasure when it's spent is such a comfortable environment. Thanks Marriott!!!

Room Tip: The suites are very roomy. A home away from home.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Hello Ibdale,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel in April.

I'm thrilled to hear that we hit all the marks in delivering a productive and relaxing stay at our hotel and that our staff exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to sharing your comments with them, as well as your return visit to our hotel for hopefully a longer getaway for you.

fountain valley, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

First impression of this place was I felt like I was in Nordstrom's. Jonathan greeted us right when we walked into the lobby. He quickly checked us in, confirmed what floor we would prefer and thanked me for my Marriott Membership. He came around the Kiosk handed us our keys and gave us directions where to park and best way to enter the building. Explained to us about their restaurant called the Bistro. This courtyard was very nicely remodeled. The rooms were clean, roomy and the beds were very comfortable. Love the light sensors

I only had two complaints.
1) Our room keys kept demagnetizing. We went through 3 keys. I kept the keys in the holder they gave me but as soon as I would use them a couple of times they wouldn't work any longer.
2) We had no idea that the alarm clock in the room was set, and at 6:00 it went off. Trying to figure out how to turn it off when your half asleep is not fun. Recommend that when the rooms get clean, please make sure the alarm clocks are turned off.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fvroadtrippers
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hello Sorento Trip,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel! Your feedback is extremely inmportant to us to ensure that we are meeting all the expectations of our travelers.

From your comments, it looks like we met those expectations and had an employee exceed those expectations. Thank you for recognizing Jonathan and his wonderful guest service that he provided you during your arrival.

I do apologize for the guest rooms keys not working properly, as well as the alarm clock alarm going off in the early morning.

I will be sure to share all of your comments, both the praise and the areas of opportunity with the team here to specially recognize Jonathan as well as ensure that the two issues you encountered are corrected so that it doesn’t happen in the future.

If I can ever be of personal assistance for future stays at our hotel when traveling to the San Diego area, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Charlie, General Manager
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here with family, two small kids as a last minute unplanned stop on our way through. We booked a room with two queen beds but when we arrived there was no two queen room available. The manager promptly upgraded us to a king suite with a pull out couch for the kids. He also knocked $50 off the price and threw in free breakfast for the four of us........ Kudo's to him and way to make a bad situation good........ The room was very clean, comfortable and in great repair. The Breakfast was outstanding, better than most hotel breakfasts.

Room Tip: Book a package that includes breakfast as the breakfast was exceptional, they even had someone stand...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stacey A
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Stacey A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa. From your comments, I’m thrilled to hear that your stay with your family was both productive and relaxing and that our Manager was able to accommodate you under the unforeseen circumstance of not having your room type available.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the Bistro and Housekeeping attendants on what a wonderful job they did ensuring everything met your standards.

If I can ever be of assistance for future stays at our property when traveling back to the San Diego area, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Facilities are well maintained and the breakfast bar had tons of healthy choices. The location is close of La Jolla beaches and it is close to a shopping center where I found plenty of eating options. If you want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, I think this hotel is a very good option.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCourtyardSD, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Valley, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Hemangajit D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us in March 2014 at the Courtyard San Diego Sorrento Mesa. Your feedback is extremely important to us and was thrilled to hear that we met your expectations from a location, a product, and a service standpoint.

We look forward to your return visit to our hotel the next time you are traveling to San Diego and if I can be of any personal service, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Sincerely