“Should be labeled Motel 6”
Review of Pleasant Inn

Pleasant Inn
Ranked #194 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel should not be part of the Best Western family! Too much noise to sleep, work nights had do not disturb sign on door so the maid called on the phone to see if I wanted service, really? Vending machine serviced at 6 am, sounded like a train coming through the room

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 March 2014

A made a reservation here a few weeks ago and since I had spent the early hours traveling that day I went by at around 1:15 PM to see if I could get checked in. The lady clerk was on her cell phone when I entered the office and I could tell she did not like the fact that I interrupted her call but she finally hung up. I asked if I could check in. She automatically responded "check in time is at 3:00." I asked her if she could check with housekeeping to see if they might have one cleaned that I could have. She told me she knew that NONE of the rooms were ready and said again to come back after 3:00. I asked her if she could please check with housekeeping for me. She angerly got on the radio and spoke to someone in Spanish. The conversation only lasted for a couple of seconds and then told me "there are NO rooms ready, come back after 3:00." I feel certain that this lady is related to the hotel owner as no business person would otherwise allow an employee to act so unprofessional. When I returned after 3:00 I was welcomed by a very friendly and professional young man. And when I explained my earlier experience to him he was extremely apologetic.
Once I got into the room I was surprised to find that it had been recently painted so that was a nice surprise and things were very clean although the room was very small. And it had a flat screen TV so that was nice also. It also had good internet service. The hotel is on a pretty busy street and I was unfortunate to get a room facing it so it was impossible to have a window open due to the traffic noise. It had a small frig but no microwave. Breakfast was sparse as the only hot food was you could make toast or a waffle. Otherwise there was cold cereal and some muffins. I made my reservation here based strictly on price. I should have realized that you get what you pay for and in this case a slice of rudeness thrown in. No, I will never be returning here.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the street side. There's a lot of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Good points: good value, pretty good breakfast, great location for getting to UCSD. However: room smells of heavy deodorant that lasted our whole three day's stay. That sucked. Also, as usual, the bathroom fixtures need work. It was difficult to get the water in the shower flowing. Bed was way to soft. In fact, on my side of the bed it sounded like they put a whoopee cushion under me. Every time I got in or out it made a series of fart noises. Too soft a bed kinda racked my back. We'll look around next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Good overall, Close to good food choice and easy access to major highway. Booked on internet 15 mins before arrival. Selected wrong date but staff honored current day and upgraded to 2 queen size beds. Would have liked a microwave rather than coffee maker. Alarm clock was simple to use. TV was good quality and channel selection was adequate. Quiet except for a couple of guest conversing in hallway. Didn't lose any sleep however. Couldn't get the opaque layer of curtains to completely close but covered with the inner curtain. Would have no hesitation about staying again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The staff was rude. The entire hotel smelled like smoke. It was loud as I was next to the stairs, vending machine and ice machine. There was no information regarding where to find the breakfast. The bed was like sleeping in a hammock. The room smelled weird. They insist on making a carbon copy of your credit card to keep on file for 7 years the front desk clerk told me, even though they use the credit card machine.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The hotel was very near where we wanted to be, that's why we chose it. Rates were very good. The room was recently renovated, and really clean. The shower did not work properly, but the problem was fixed as soon as we reported it. We are planning another trip to the area, and will stay here again. Housekeeping staff was superior!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Quiet and affordable, this property lends itself to "I need a place to stay right off the freeway and no I don't have a reservation." Looks as if they are doing some remodeling so I'm going to stay tuned for some site improvements. A fair value nonetheless as they were the least expensive. The room was clean and comfortable and they even honored our email request to be on an upper floor, away from kids, the freeway noise and the pool, That alone was worth the price of admission!

Room Tip: Just ask, They will honor requests whenever possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family