“Nice Location”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla
Ranked #44 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here recently with my wife and kids (3 kids). We always enjoy Embassy Suites, mainly because of their great breakfast service and indoor pools. This location was no exception. What does set this location part is its location in the BEAUTIFUL La Jolla area, and quick access to both the 805 and I-5 freeways. One thing that isn't so great is the availability of food options in the area. We had to drive more than a few miles to pick up food. Minor problem, but just be aware.

Room Tip: Since this is located in the La Jolla business district, there is a considerable amount of street no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rmart78
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Rmart78,

Delighted that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed the hotel's location, pool, and our complimentary made to order breakfast. We are very proud of the team here that delivers a fantastic guest experience and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tim

Write a ReviewReviews (1,574)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great location for anyone wanting to be close to the beach and freeway. Complimentary breakfast was delicious, complimentary evening beverages/snacks were great and timed perfectly before we headed out for the evening. The rooms were clean, service was awesome. The only issue I had was Sunday morning check-out traffic, but in light of all the positives, it was minor.

Would definitely recommend this location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear JMC2366,

Delighted that your stay was fantastic and you had fun exploring the area due to the convenience of the hotels location. I am proud to be a part of this team that delivered a clean and awesome service, really proud.

Our commitment to the environment is critical and we continue to strive for even deeper and more impactful ways to help, we appreciate you noticing our efforts.

Cheers and looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Staying in San Diego in the summer is extremely expensive. Yet, the Embassy Suites in La Jolla had the best price in town for a comparable hotel. The parking fee is excessive ($22 a day), but other hotels have similar fees. The excellent complementary breakfast almost makes up for it. We will happily stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drmarv036

Dear drmarv036,

Thank you so very much for being our guest and congratulating the team here for delivering a brilliant stay, I am delighted that when your travel plans bring you back to the San Diego area that you will be choosing us again.

We very much appreciate your loyalty to this hotel and we will never take that for granted and continue our plight for perfection.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed 3 weeks at this property. The overall value has been noteworthy. Parking, internet, and breakfast have been included with a large group rate, and for the price, its an outstanding value. The hotel is located next to a large mall and shopping area, and near major freeways make it a perfect location for MCAS Miramar, La Jolla, and San Diego. Noise is an issue at not just the lower but even the middle and upper floors at times, but that's due to poor design and choice of using the atrium for everything from breakfast to overflow from the small bar. Because of the breakfast area in the main atrium, the smell of food permeates the living area of each room each morning (I'm on the 8th floor out of 12), after a few days it becomes somewhat annoying. The breakfast quality itself is above average, and being part of the room rate makes it outstanding. The only issue I have is the service which so many others have stated is good, overall I cannot agree. Upon check in I felt rushed, when it came to baggage I had to interrupt two employees having a personal conversation to ask to "borrow" the luggage cart. Ahead of time, I requested extra towels and pillows since my wife and son are with me this trip, and online it was confirmed as well by the front desk clerk, only to find nothing in the room. I had to ask two more times for the items before receiving them a few hours later. Maid service is slow but does a capable job. I required an extra office chair for my wife to work in the room, and after 3 requests and 2 days, I did receive it. Most mornings about 6am I depart for a morning run and never had the front desk staff greet me, even though the hotel was completely dead the one or two clerks are apparently quite busy avoiding eye contact. Overall this property is a great value but the lack of customer service seems to be in direct opposition to it. Internet service and speed are slightly spotty, but since it was also bundled into the rate, I compare it with free internet offered at other hotels and in that context, it is adequate. On a positive note, the cooks at breakfast are quite friendly and excellent at their jobs. The last morning of my stay, we got down to the breakfast area at 9:12am, and the cooks were closing the omelette station, quite a disappointment, but again there was a management type person collecting plates and wishing everyone a good day, but as we promptly turned around to seek a local IHOP, he repeated his great day wish instead of noticing we had not eaten a thing, that sort of lack of attention to detail was likely because he appeared in a rush to get things cleaned up, perhaps the next bus load of kids was arriving, who knows.... but overall, while the property was solid value in a prime location, the attention to detail and customer service of staff lead me to look elsewhere next time

Room Tip: The higher the better, due to the atrium design and lack of walls to the common areas, noise is defi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Echo9G,

Thank you for being our guest recently with a number of other guests within your group and glad that the group delivered a tremendous benefit and value to your stay. I am terribly sorry that I failed in the overall experience and service that I/We are in full control of. I cannot express my sadness that some of my colleagues chose to have a personal conversation rather than extending a "Good Morning" or "may I be of assistance to you", this is rather upsetting.

Your have allowed me to understand an area of opportunity and although I am sorry I am also thankful to you. Please be assured that I have shared your experience with my colleagues and the team to ensure that we will deliver excellence to all.

I understand that we may have missed the opportunity to welcome you back, but if you would ever consider being our guest again I promise that we will deliver excellence.

Thank you again and I do appreciate you and your commentary.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a great place to stay. There is food and fun sites nearby to enjoy during free time if you are staying here while on a business trip. Good walking or jogging around the hotel area too. The breakfast in the morning is a great way to get the day started. The manager's happy hour is great for those who like adult beverages in the evening. The pool is tucked away so you can't hear the loud kids screaming throughout the lobby area like other hotels.

Dear Phillip T,

Brilliant to hear that your recent stay was enjoyable and your experience with the complimentary made to order breakfast and evening reception really made a good experience a great one. Our pool and fitness centre are perfectly located on the ground floor, very convenient but not causing any disruption.

Cheers and thank you again for being our guest.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have just completed my seventh week at this hotel. It is much prettier than the average Embassy Suites. Though I haven't taken advantage of all the hotel has to offer, many things are available should I choose to. Free alcohol (and soft drinks, etc.) from 5;30-7:30 including weekends, full breakfast, indoor pool, outdoor hot tub. As a Hilton Diamond member, I am treated especially well - also, I now know all of the staff. But, I am sure you do not have to be Diamond to be treated well at this hotel.

There is a shuttle that takes me to and from work. Though absolutely free, I, of course, tip the driver. It shocks me that people take advantage of this service and just get out of the van without tipping....I leave my luggage every weekend which makes life much easier. Free laundry rooms available which is a definite plus. i don't get to choose my hotels - just got really lucky this time around.

Instead of going home this weekend (whew!), my husband is going to visit me. I let the front desk clerk know and he made sure on Sunday morning (even though I check in late on Sundays) that I received one of the execitive suites. There is a dining room that holds six people. All of the rooms have a pull out couch - this one happens to be queen size so we are having friends stay over Friday night to make it a party. The wifi is extremely fast. I have had issues with wifi at even the most expensive hotels, but it has been perfect at this hotel. Having the mall with many restaurants across the street is helpful, plus the shuttle driver will take guests to many local restaurants. I believe the shuttle stops running at 9:00 pm. You want water? Just ask at the front desk and you are given a bag with two bottles. Take the shuttle - basket full of water. These things make me happy. Best pillows ever!

Only thing and it is minor - AC is a bit loud. It hasn't been hot though so I haven't needed it too often.

Room Tip: If you do not qualify for the executive suite, the rooms right next to them are a bit larger due to...

Dear pgh2LV,

We are so delighted that we are your home away from home, it is always lovely to see that our guests are enjoying their stay and the vast amenities the hotel delivers. From the fantastic location of the hotel, to it's spacious suites, fabulous breakfast and evening reception, to the terrific team.

Cheers to you and thank you again for being our guest and one that we call a part of the family.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is my 1st choice whenever I visit UCSD. There is a mall with a movie theater located right across the street. They have a business center. The breakfast buffet is a plus. The staff is very friendly. Each room comes with a sitting area - it provides plenty of space for the whole family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank aileenyi

Dear aileenyi,

Thank you very much for being our guest and delighted that we delivered Great, and that we are your first choice when staying in San Diego not only due to the close proximity to the fabulous UCSD but for the friendly atmosphere and terrific breakfast.

Cheers and we look forward to the next visit.