“Tired of the nickle and time tricks” 3 of 5 bubbles

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla
Ranked #52 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin TX
“Tired of the nickle and time tricks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

You want internet, $12. You want to park $22. --Really? The price of the room is not enough. And its not like its the Estancia, which is a very nice and unique hotel a few miles down the road, where I might tolerate the extra charges.

Anyway, the room is what you would expect: the standard Embassy suite layout of a sitting room, a small hall way, and a bedroom. It seemed like it was updated in the last few years, and was clean. On the down side, the hotel was some what noisy and I could hear kids yelling when I was in my room. The outside looks like it is undergoing a renovation. You also have to park in a garage, which is poorly designed and doesn't have sufficient room for a vehicle going down to pass one going up. The garage also looks like it could use some sprucing up.

For me, I travel to the area frequently. There are nicer hotels, and there are other hotels that are as nice but a better value. I see no point in returning to this one, where they pad my bill with extras that are typically included in this class of hotel. I changed my two night reservation to one, I'm off to another hotel for tomorrow.

1 Thank chriskoob
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Chriskoob,

Thank you for being our guest and certainly understand the frustration caused during your recent stay with internet and the parking arrangements, we are slightly challenged as our car park structure is on shared property and have little control on charges and the structure itself, although this year will see new surfaces, paint, and exit/entrance equipment.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the spaciously clean suite and the newly laid carpeting, this coming year will also see a complete soft goods renovation in all suites. Currently we are completing an exterior paint project that you saw during your recent stay that is moving along famously.

You mentioned that we may not have the pleasure of seeing you when you are next in La Jolla, I truly hope that you will consider us again as I would certainly love to ensure that you are delivered a perfect experience.

Thank you for your valuable time and allowing me to understand some areas of opportunity.

Tim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Lubbock, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here recently for 5 nights on business and this hotel really came to feel like home. I had some large boxes shipped ahead and they were waiting for me. The staff was kind enough to load them on a cart, and give warning that the parking garage does not have an elevator. This was hugely helpful. Otherwise the hotel was clean and quiet and the suites were well furnished. I always like having a microwave and fridge, and the wet bar sink is a bonus. Not only can you walk to PF Chang's for dinner, but across the street is a nice open mall with plenty of dining options. Each morning I commuted to downtown San Diego on I-5, and there was never any traffic. The trip took about 25 minutes door to door. Would definitely stay here again, especially if my family was with me.

Dear ajlbb,

Thank you very much for being our guest and delighted that your stay was EXCELLENT, from the location, convenience to the Westfield UTC Mall and PF Changs, and downtown. Fabulous that your suite was perfectly appointed and lovely and clean, we are indeed very lucky to have a brilliantly talented team here at the Embassy Suites.

We all look forward to the next time your travels bring you to San Diego-La Jolla.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived at the Embassy Suites in La Jolla for a business/mini vacation. In our room was old pizza in our microwave and the refrigerator was not working. I called the front desk to express my disappointment. The night manager Liz was very accommodating. She sent someone up to the room immediately to clean the microwave, fix the refrigerator and attending to any additional needs my family and I had. She ensured the remainder of our stay was taken care of . She was pleasant and definitely knows the true meaning of customer service. The hotel had an amazing breakfast, perfect location and perfect for large families. Our family will definitely return to this hotel. Thank you Liz you are an awesome manager.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Sophia W
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Sophia W,

Thank you very much for allowing us the opportunity to correct the challenges you experienced upon arrival, this certainly was a rather large hiccup on our side and we sincerely apologise for this.

I am delighted that your introduction to Elizabeth was one that not only allows us the luxury of calling you our guest again but that her actions and attention delivered a great experience.

We appreciate you and truly look forward to seeing you all again.

Tucson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here 4 nights on a business trip. I have spent the last 8 months on business travel, mostly between Palmdale and San Diego. I'm a big fan of Embassy Suites (a HHonors Diamond member), I love the concept of a 2 room suite, which is especially important when my family comes to visit while I'm on business travel.

I would call the room a ES "classic". What I mean by this is that yes, it offers a 2 room suite, but the classic ES is dark and out dated. They still have popcorn ceilings, nicked up furniture, and lumpy beds. They design of this room is strange, there are doors that hide other features, block normal things etc. I didn't realize until day 2 that we had a microwave and mini fridge because the door was blocking it. Not a big deal because we ate out.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels (I'm a Gold Marriott member too) and I can compare this hotel to other Embassy Suites across the country. This location reminds me a lot of the Washington D.C location (just outside IAD). The layout is almost the same, though this one seems bigger. There is a really nice Koi pond/river in the atrium that my kids were mesmerized by. The D.C location had George and Martha (swans) swimming in their atrium.

I really did like this hotel, but there were things I can compare to the other ES I have stayed at recently. This is a LARGE hotel, and I am constantly amazed at how they can pull of that many guests at breakfast. They require you to "swipe" your room key when in line at the omelet station. I'm not used to that with the other ES I stay at frequently. It really wasn't a big deal, and I'm sure its because of the large volume of people they have. The downfall is the quality of the food, it is average at best and you have to wait in a somewhat long line. Having stayed in many ES in the last year, I give this a "middle of the road" rating.

Positives: Great Staff, everyone was very courteous. Another positive is that that its an Embassy Suites, and you get a 2 room suite (great for families, best hotel concept ever). The evening reception is every day (usually only M-T).

Negatives: Elevators were extremely busy and long wait times. The room was slightly dated. Parking was $22 day, my company pays for parking, but for a family on vacation it is definitely something to consider. The indoor pool was cold (to my standard).

Overall, this hotel was average, I really appreciate the great customer service they provided, though I would probably stay at other hotels next time I'm on business in San Diego, either Hilton Bay Front, Homewood Suites (Liberty Station), or Residence Inn (Scripps or Carmel Mountain).

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear DesertFlyer,

Thank you for being our guest and would like to extend my sincerest thanks to congratulating the team here for delivering great service, especially from a well traveled guest as you are it means a tremendous amount to us.

I apologise for delivering average in other areas of your experience and would like to ensure that we are attending to most items that you mentioned. Sorry for the challenge in locating the microwave and fridge they are as you said hiding behind a French slatted doors, although tidy and out of the way, certainly out of sight. We will be drawing up a small sign to ensure future guests will not have this challenge.

Delighted that you enjoyed the lovely Koi environment, recently we added Ozone to the system which is making this feature look fantastic, of course our younger guests love feeding Koi also (food available at guest services).

I am very sorry about the inconvenience caused by the elevators and breakfast being busy during your stay, I have passed this information on to the culinary team to see how we may improve on this experience.

We truly appreciate everything you mentioned and we are attempting to correct and better our hotel, I am again so very happy that the team here delivered excellence in service.

Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Our family of 5 stayed here for 3 nights during our stay in San Diego. Everyone in the hotel went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Examples: 1. kids were swimming and the manager brought out beach balls and swim rings. 2. Front desk gave out fish food for kids to feed the fish in their fish pond. 3. During the manager's reception, they put on a kid friendly movie in a separate room--- our kids loved this--- and I'm sure guests traveling without children appreciated having the kiddos off in one area so they could enjoy their drinks/snacks too! The rooms were spacious and very typical for a newer Embassy Suites.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Momk5k,

The pleasure was all ours, thank you for being our guest. I am delighted that you and your family had a brilliant stay and that my colleagues made a great stay a fabulous experience.

We all look forward to the next time your travels bring you to the lovely San Diego-La Jolla area, until then.

Hyderabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Was here for just a single night for business and found the suites very good indeed. The suites were well furnished and were just right. The checkin was quite smooth and took about 5 mins at best. I particularly liked the sitting area within the suite and bathroom was well designed. The best part of the offer was the free breakfast - not the very best but good enough to get your day started. I chose this place as it was walkable distance to our office.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear adityarrao,

Thank you so very much for being our guest and your nice comments to your recent experience. Being that you are such a seasoned traveler and seasoned contributor we are very thankful that you thoroughly enjoyed the hotel, spacious suites, and location.

I have passed on this comment to the Executive Chef to ensure that our guests complimentary made to order breakfast experience continues to be enhanced.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed with my family. Selected this as it is a 2 room suite.

Bad:
Very noisy elevators; The sofa bed in the living room is a joke. You can feel pretty much every spring in the sofa bed. There is a dripping sound from the AC. Check in took a while... they compensated with a free parking pass.

very old fittings.

Good:
Spread in breakfast is decent. Decent Location. good space within the room. not cramped.

Room Tip: select something away from the elevators. Dont chose this hotel because it has two rooms. the sofa b...