“Pay Parking only available” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla
Ranked #52 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Pay Parking only available”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I don't mind paying for valet but at this hotel you are kind of forced to pay for parking no matter what. The main bar closes at 11 pm and the store inside the hotel is tiny and does not have enough stuff if you get in late. The rooms were nice, and very clean. Make sure you pay for your valet at the counter because if you give it to the valet person they will pocket the money and consider it all a tip. The atmosphere at the bar patio was nice and cozy with the fire pit lit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear RaiderRon H,

Delighted that your recent stay was enjoyable, from the comfort of the guest suite and our relaxing atmosphere on the fire pit patio. Sorry about the inconvenience of Indulge Bar closing at 11pm, this is due to ensuring all guests have an enjoyable evening as we have this rather lovely 12 story atrium and noise can travel rather quickly.

The parking in La Jolla is tough, I agree, I was a little concerned regarding your mention of giving money to the valet, as we do not have valet just self parking in the structure. If you would be able to let me know whom you were referring to so that I may ensure our bell/luggage team are not a part of this.

Thank you again for being our guest and I do hope that we will see you back again soon.

Tim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
La Jolla, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I felt unsafe and violated at this hotel. Housekeeping had lunch in my room leaving dirty dishes and opened water bottles. They also opened and went through our suitcases. My children were scared and wanted to get out as soon as possible.

5 Thank Dawn G
Dear Dawn D,

Thank you for your time yesterday to discuss your recent stay, further to our conversation we did a full investigation including a lock interogation and spoke to all that serviced your suite. Although we cannot determine exactley what occurred we do know that all your personal belongings remained in tact.

I have a fantastic team here and have the utmost confidence in them, we take every guest experience very seriously to ensure we deliver a safe and clean environment for all.

Thank you again for your time and thank you for allowing us the pleasure of your giving us another opportunity to welcome you back as a guest.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Good location near the mall and has a PF Changs right next door. The front desk was quick with check in, that's always nice! Self parking, but no elevator, so you have to drag your bags down the stairs if you didn't already take them up to your room. Had a bag of trash and empty 6 pack of beer blocking my door when I got there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Alohagirl86,

Thank you for being our guest this past month and delighted that your arrival was efficient and the hotel location very convenient for your stay. My sincerest apologies as we do try and inform our guests prior to parking to get themselves to their suite and then park, so you do not have to tackle the garage with bag in hand.

Our houseperson team apologise for the bag of rubbish being on the guest hallway upon your arrival, they are dedicated to remove all items from guest hallways on a continual basis so that our newly arriving guests don't experience this, I am sorry for this.

I do hope that you will continue to consider our fabulous hotel and allow our fantastic team to deliver excellence upon your next stay.

Las Vegas, NV, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

No attention paid to bathroom cleanliness. Floor and tile filthy. Sofa in sitting room had been spot cleaned but was obviously dirty. No maid service on third day in hotel. We left room at 10 am and when we returned at 2, room had not been cleaned, returned again at 4, still not cleaned. Called housekeeping and they offered to do it, but we refused, wanting to take a nap. They did bring clean towels at our request.

Dear Barbara G,

My goodness this is dreadful that we did not deliver perfection upon arrival and then continued to challenge your experience throughout your stay, I am terribly sorry as reading your commentary is the first instance I have heard of this. I am certainly investigating why our inspector did not catch this prior to your arrival and in addition understanding why we were delayed in servicing your suite during your stay.

This is a practice that we do not support and will ensure that our team get's this corrected for all furture arriving guests.

I do appreciate your informing me of this and do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to continue calling you our guest.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at Embassy Suites La Jolla for 3 nights, checking in on 25th June 2014, and checking out on 28th June. We had an overall enjoyable stay, however I was extremely disappointed with a particular situation regarding our laundry.

We wished to get our laundry done as we were on a lengthy holiday throughout the USA. I placed the clothing in the bag, but could not see a price list so I was under the impression that the laundry was also complimentary, considering the hotel was very generous in what it provided to us already (i.e. breakfast, happy hour).

When taking the clothing downstairs I was asked by the lady at the front desk if I had the form attached, to which I said no as there was not one present in the room to my knowledge. The lady then gave me a blank form to fill out. The form was for employees as it said so at the top of the form, and it had NO pricing. So it furthered my assumption that it was free of charge.

To the laundry staff’s credit, our clothes were neatly placed in our room and were not damaged in any way; however we certainly did not appreciate the $171 fee!!!! Additionally, some of our clothes were dry-cleaned and pressed which we did not request, meaning that we were given an extra charge out of their own free will.

When calling reception after seeing the price, I was told in a very condescending tone that my “assumption was wrong” and that I could have just gone to where the washing machines were to do it myself- information that was not relayed to my partner or myself upon check in.

I am not impressed that I was deliberately given the employee’s form and yet not informed or reminded of the pricing when filling it out. I feel that I was tricked and I do not think it was fair that I was manipulated by your staff. It’s clear to me that the hotel’s staff have a lack of communication with their customers, and if they had paid more attention to detail then this could all be avoided.
I do realise that the prices reflect the hard work of the laundry staff, but if I had known that simply getting my clothes washed would cost close to $200 then I would not have done it.

When checking out I was able to be refunded 10% of the cost, which I still didn’t think was acceptable but as we had to get to the airport I didn’t see the point in arguing. Now that we are finally back home, I now have more frequent accessibility to communication and can easily contact the hotel regarding this complaint.

On top of having to pay a total of $66 for parking (which was not ideal but we paid, hoping that was all we had to spend during our stay) to lose that kind of money involuntarily during a vacation may not seem like a big deal to your older and more financially secure customers, but it was to us. We are both young and are still in university, making our savings a lot more valuable. Because of the incident with our laundry, we had to re-evaluate our spending and as a result had to make sacrifices- which defeats the purpose of a vacation.

I would like to stress that other than this complaint, we did enjoy our time at Embassy Suites La Jolla. I give the hotel 2 stars purely because of the laundry. In regards to the room and the amenities, I was very impressed. We would come back to stay with you again if we ever visit San Diego, but I would like this issue resolved so that any future stay with you can be organised with peace of mind. If possible could the manager please provide an email address upon replying to this review.

Michaela

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michaela G
Dear Michaela G,

Thank you for being our guest and delighted that your overall stay will allow us to welcome you back when your travels bring you to San Diego-La Jolla. My goodness when reading your commentary I was also shocked that my colleagues did not assist you through this process and matter, we could and should of corrected this and especially in a manner that was thoughtful and understanding.

Please allow me to get this corrected and as requested I can be contacted by e-mail:

SANLJ_GM@HILTON.COM

I truly look forward to hearing from you so that we may get this corrected and still have the ability to call you our guest.

Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

A very nice hotel with very large rooms. It is a cross from a shopping mall that one daughter is very anxious to see. It also is next door to a P. F. Changes where we ate dinner. Our disabled accessible suite is nice with railings to help disabled folks transfer. It has a limited space parking, so get there early.

Dear CulverCityAndy,

Fabulous to hear that your recent stay was excellent, from the spacious suite to the fabulous location, hope you and your daughter enjoyed the vast array of spectacular shops opposite in the lovely outdoor Westfield Mall.

We do hope that we will see you again in the very near future.

Newport Beach, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel was no vacancy but that still does not mean that having popcorn in your bed when you pull back the sheets for the first time is acceptable. Food was good in the AM. Make sure to avoid the 01,02,35,36 ending rooms or else you will hear elevators all night long.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Tim B, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Gershon A,

Thank you for being our guest and I was appalled to hear that you found popcorn in your bed, I have expressed your concerns and commentary to the Executive Suite Keeper for her to investigate whom cleaned and inspected your suite. I would of loved the opportunity to correct this during your stay whether we moved suites or had our suite keeping manager or I personally change your linen.

Delighted that the balance of your stay was enjoyable and that your breakfast experience was a great one.

Hoping very much that you will allow us to see you again in the near future.