“The Reviews are True”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa
Ranked #17 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We stayed here from 5/4-5/6. This was wonderful place to stay. I have never stayed at a Hampton Inn before and never intended on staying at one. After reading the reviews I figured I would give it a try. I was glad I did. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly at check-in. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. It had a big flat screen television. I was impressed with the free morning breakfast that was served each day. It included cereals, pastries, fruit, juices and there was also egg and sausage. This hotel is not close to any major attractions but is close to the freeway. I usually stay at Courtyards so this was a pleasant surprise. I will be staying again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank talimoth

Reviewed 21 March 2010

My husband, five year old, and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights based on the positive reviews. We were not at all disappointed. My kid didn't even want to leave. He loved the hotel and wanted to stay in our room most of the time. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, the room furniture was modern and clean, and the decor was very tasteful. And I must emphasize, EVERYTHING including the bathroom, was immaculate. I am very picky when it comes to hotel cleanliness and this place was spotless, from the lobby to the hallways to the room itself. The breakfast was tasty, with a nice selection of items to choose from (hot and cold) and there was fresh coffee available all day. We plan to go back to San Diego (we live in LA) just so we can stay at this hotel again :)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank 123puff
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Fantastic hotel for business travellers. Love the free wireless and breakfast. Gym area is sleek and well-located.
Beware, if you're in rooms 108 or 208, you're windows face the pool so that could get noisy during busy summer months.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank wwwstudyofmakeupcom
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I stay at Hampton Inn hotels frequently and this is one of the best ones I have ever stayed at. It is very clean. The front desk staff was extremely helpful. The hotel has the best exercise room I have ever seen at a hotel of this type. The only area I feel they could improve on is the breakfast. The staff was not always present when I needed something, but they do serve drinks in this area all day long. I decided to stay at this hotel after reading reviews at some of the ones in the hotel circle area and am very glad I did. It is very conveniant to all areas of San Diego. Just hop on the freeway and you can be at many attractions in minutes. Overall this is a great hotel for the money!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank marelong
Reviewed 12 January 2010

One of the nicest Hampton Inns that I've stayed. I'm a Marriott Courtyard customer, but based on my stay at this Hampton, I may have to reconsider if they're all this nice!

Nice bathrooms with Marble, clean tub, spacious. Great bedding. At $130/night - this is a great value for the money. I don't normally rate "chain" hotels.

Coffee and morning breakfast??? Well let's just say that there are plenty of restaurants in the area too. :-)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Aeh_One
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during new years. I chose this hotel based on the other TripAdvisor reviews, and I was happy that I did! The service was excellent with quick check-in and check out. I requested a "quiet room away from the elevator" because this is usually what I am left with when I ask for the AAA rate. This time they actually honored my request! The rooms were spotless and clean, and the lobby very homey with free coffee, tea, cocoa, water and lemonade available. The staff was always smiling and welcoming. There is also a nice tank in the lobby that makes it even more of a relaxing area.

Breakfast and wifi were free. I was on the top floor (Room 500) and unfortunately did not have a great wifi connection. I did, however, have a nice view of the pool. There were two computers in the lobby area that were free to use. There was a pool, meeting room, and work out room on the lobby level.

Breakfast consisted of cereal, donuts, toast/bagels, fresh melons and whole fruit, hardboiled eggs, do it yourself instant oatmeal, scrambled eggs and either sausage or biscuits and gravy. Beverages were 4 juices, tea, coffee, cocoa, milk. It was similar from day 1 to day 2, so perhaps they could have changed it up a little bit. There was no do-it-yourself waffle iron, but perhaps there wasn't much counter space for it. The breakfast area is pretty small, but they are nice enough to offer you trays so you can bring the food up to your room or take it on the road if you have a busy day planned. Let me say, it was more than enough to keep me happy. The staff was really good about keeping an eye on it and always refreshed it. I have been ot other places where they purposely delay refilling food to save money. That was NOT the case here, they monitored it and kept the food coming!

The hotel is close to the 163 freeway which is a quick shot to downtown. I liked it better than staying in the hotel circle area. There is a lot of Chinese food down the way on Convoy and a 99 ranch, Food4Less and WalMart if you need to purchase anything.

The room itself had a nice fluffy bed. It was if you were sleeping on a giant pillow. There was also a small couch, a desk, a large LCD TV and a small fridge in the closet. I did not see a safe (if that is important to you) but did read that the front desk had one. There was also a hairdryer, iron, ironing board, and coffeemaker. The room heater was a little bit on the loud side, but I am a light sleeper. Everything inside the rooms and hallways was clean and new. Another slight complaint is that the elevator was a bit slow.

All in all, my complaints were minor and I had a good time at this hotel. I would definitely stay here again if I were to be in the San Diego area. By the way, the neighborhood is not that bad (crime wise)...it has a lot of small businesses and is right by a freeway, so it certainly does not have a "neighborhood" feel to it, but it is not unsafe or scary. I would recommend those who are visiting San Diego to stay at this hotel as it is very centralized to shopping as well as the attractions and was reasonably priced!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SunnyDTraveler
Reviewed 2 December 2009

This is by far the best Hampton Inn that we've stayed at. The quality of this hotel is superior, from the lobby on up to the rooms themselves. It was so nice that we extended our stay an extra night - the beds are fantastic, nice breakfast assortment, lots of parking and it's only a few minutes to everything around San Diego. There are a few restaurants down the road from Panda Express to Subway. Check in and out was easy, quick and professional - hotel was extremely clean. Only minor flaw was that there is some sort of convention center behind the hotel and they were having a loud concert of some sort for a while - other than that it's an absolutely fantastic place!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple