“Not a bad hotel, but, noisy room”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #167 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Not a bad hotel, but, noisy room”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here just one night but with mixed feelings. The hotel is a bit dated in decor, the rooms that is. Not bad, clean, but simply bit behind in times. Had a room at the front of the hotel that faces the road, and, despite being at a certain distance of the freeway I thought it was still pretty noisy. It seems the windows are also not that insulating sound wise. The beds are good, not a problem, but airco and road noise made me not sleep too much. Bathroom is reasonable, very American, a useless bathtub thus, way too shallow. It's a playful hotel in setup with open balcony style corridors, open to the air, so on a cold day it's fresh but I think it's a nice setup. No idea how well it's located situation wise, I only used it for an overnight on the way from A to B.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the road as you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for your review spamobile. In response to your concern, the air conditioning is scheduled for routine maintenance and future guests should not encounter the same problem. We appreciate your letting us know and look forward to your return.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 January 2014

What can we say! We won't return with rude and unfriendly staff (especially Daniel). The only staff that were friendly were the cleaning staff and one Caribbean shuttle driver (sorry did not get his name). Rooms were ok, but no fridge and the hotel shop was so expensive!

Location was not great, I have to say that we were not in walking distance of anything, we even had to catch a cab to target and got ripped off by a taxi driver that Daniel called for us.

The only good thing about the hotel is they have a free shuttle service to the zoo and sea world, would not say very good shuttle service to the old town or village mall as every time we went outside there was no one to help us and were landed up waiting 30 - 40 mins for the shuttle. Some of the shuttle staff also make you feel like they are doing you a huge favor by taking you to the old town or village mall however it is part of a complimentary service!

Food is average, not really that great, I would recommend calling a takeout place and order your food in!

Check out was a bad experience with Daniel starting our check out however he felt we were not as important as other customers and started attending to them and then came back to us 10 minutes later to say you are done! could he have told us that before he started getting snotty with another customers?

I would not recommend this hotel to families, very unfriendly staff and not fantastic rooms :(

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank QueenAnonymous
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for your review QueenAnonymous. We appreciate all of your feedback good or bad so that we may improve our guest experience and use this as an example. This is definitely not the usual feedback we receive about our staff from past reviews. I would like to personally apologize for any inconvenience you encountered.

We hope that you may give us another chance in the near future. Please contact me directly so that I may handle any special request personally.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Manchester Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Yes, the hotel is an older property. And yes, some of the fixtures could be updated. But the landscaping, pool, waterfalls, and the surroundings are spectacular. Considering that you are about five minutes from downtown and that a downtown hotel will cost you double...don't bother and stay here instead.

The staff is friendly, the food good. Is it going to rate 5 stars?? No, but you aren't going to go home disappointed either. Restaurant was OK and I agree with another reviewer that the MaiTai's need work. I had them in Hawaii, and Ocean City, Maryland (both were better) and I know that these could be improved with just a little work.

Was there on business, but would stay there for pleasure, with family and friends, or just by myself at any time. Overall, the hotel had very little that I could complain about, and that's the idea for me. Comfort, convenience, a good price, and a friendly staff goes a long way in making a trip enjoyable.

Room Tip: I traveled with a group and our rooms were spread all over the place. None of us heard any noise at...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
San Diego
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I was looking for a cheap and fairly central hotel to hangout at before and after a New Year's Eve bay cruise. I scored a room at this hotel on Hotwire for a very low price.

The property is a bit dated and tired, yet the tropical themed landscaping, complete with many palm trees and even waterfalls, is somewhat appealing.

Front desk check-in was slow, but once I got up to the counter, the check-in agent was very courteous and helpful. He even comped my parking ($12 per night) and said, "Parking is on us tonight - Happy New Year!". I thought that was very nice. I also liked the fact that the fellow did not look down his nose a bit because I was a Hotwire customer.

The lobby area is clean but tired looking. Directions to the room were very good and it was fairly close to the parking lot.

We stayed in room 1435, which had a very nice view. I've uploaded a photo to show the view.

The room was quite large and comfortable. It had a balcony with a small table and 2 chairs. The room also had a desk, office chair, king-sized bed, flat screen LG HDTV and a comfortable larger chair.

I was slightly annoyed that the room didn't have bathrobes, as I specifically asked that question on the phone and was told that "of course" it did. I would have brought one from home had I not been told that they had robes. Some of you might not care about bathrobes, but I like showering and hanging out in a robe. What can I say?

The bed was king sized and comfortable. The rooms, while a bit dated, were well-maintained and very clean. We heard zero outside noise during our stay.

The property is located on Hotel Circle, which is very central to most of what you'd probably want to see in San Diego, so thumbs up on the location. While I'd prefer to stay downtown, the price is a lot better here and you're barely 5 minutes from downtown.

We did eat at the Islands restaurant. The Mai Tai's were pretty disappointing. They are syrupy thick and way too sweet. It's like drinking Mai Tai syrup!

My sister *loves* the sushi at Islands. Frankly, I thought it was pretty mediocre and my date thought it was worse than that. We ordered their "signature roll" (Hanalei Bay roll) which is baked and just barely okay. We also had a spider roll and the soft shelled crab was dry, overcooked, and slightly burnt tasting. The pu pu platter was decent but not terrific. Again, not bad though. Dinner with saki and 2 drinks was roughly $50 with tip.

While this is not a 5 star property per se, the overall combination of the price, location and other factors make it a strong option in the San DIego area. If you're looking for a new, modern and trendy hotel, this is definitely not it. If you want a good-sized room at an excellent price that is centrally located, it's possibly a good option for you.

P.S. I'm going to add a video to YouTube entitled "View from Crowne Plaza San Diego Room 1435", so if you go their and do a search, it will show you the view from the balcony.

Room Tip: As the clerk for a room with a nice view.
Green Features: I know they are very strong in this area. There are signs in the lobby discussing the hotel's environmentally friendly practices and policies.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stockjock
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear stockjock,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. It was great to read you enjoyed your room amenities, pool view and the location! We hope to see again soon!

Borrego Springs, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am a platinum member of the Intercontinental group. This hotel was so good about giving me a top floor corner room with a wrap around balcony. Yes, it has older furniture but is very clean. The rooms are a good size and mine had a mini frig and microwave oven. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Everyone smiled at you in a genuine fashion. Did not get to visit the lounge for cocktails or breakfast (just for a corkscrew to open a wine bottle). The parking was free and plentiful. Grounds are lovely. Couldn't give this particular hotel high enough marks. Excellent people which make you forget that it is older and in this case older is better.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from 8 freeway
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Meech123,

Thank you for being a loyal guest to IHG hotel’s group and earning a Platinum member status. We are delighted to hear your kind words about our staff making you feel at home which starts with a genuine smile, I could not have said it better. We look forward to continue to host you on your next visit to San Diego!

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I would have given this 3-1/2 stars if I could have. My family liked this hotel and think the other reviews are unfair. Yes, the hotel is not new, but it's got a waterfall, a large, heated, outdoor pool, beautiful landscaping with lots of palm trees and clean, attractive rooms. There's a courtesy power strip to help you deal with the fact that there's not the modern electric of some hotels. As others have said, the hotel has an open courtyard (with some more lush trees - cool) so anyone could get in to the hallways in theory, but it's a safe area with a secure parking lot. My solution was to always use the door lock. It was nicely situated close to LaJolla, the cool restaurants at Hillcrest or Old Town. For $95 a night pre-paid we got a great deal and had a very nice stay. Two tips: Snooze, a breakfast place in nearby Hillcrest, is the best breakfast restaurant ever. Also if you're really strapped for cash you could stay at Americas Best Value Inn.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Traveler-0530,

Thank you for writing such a great review about our property. Many of our guests love the landscaping with the waterfall and palm trees surrounding it, making an incredible background for wedding ceremonies! We appreciate your kind words as we hope to see you again soon!

vallejo
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The Crown Plaza was very close to all attractions we wanted to visit, and they provided free shuttle service. This residence was very clean with all the necessary amenities right at the same place. Pool and Hot tub were very nice also

Room Tip: Any room would be good but you need to request a refrigerator if one is needed.
Green Features: They recycle everything possible and replace towel and linens on request of course.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank macdana517
Dear macdana517,

We are honored to have the title of your review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about the cleanliness and the amenities at our property. We look forward having you stay with us again soon!!