“College Tour Visit”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Martinez, California
“College Tour Visit”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed here recently while touring SDSU and UCSD. I was disappointed in our stay as several things in our room were either broken or unacceptable. Two lights had burned out bulbs, the coffee maker did not work, and the shampoo & conditioner bottles were empty (used by the previous guest?). The rate was decent but that is only because they charge for parking and the breakfast is over priced.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth H
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Elizabeth H,

Thank you for staying with us and we hope the college tour visits have been a great experience for your daughter and family. Please except my sincere apologizes for any lack of issues in the room. We appreciate you for informing us of the issues you encountered. Rest assured, I have addressed your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and our Maintenance Manager to follow up on so future guests may not have the same experience.

We do appreciate you letting us know and we hope you give us another chance on your next visit to San Diego. If you have any special requests or come across any issues during your stay please let any of the staff know so that we may correct them immediately. Should you need any assistance feel free to contact me directly at 619-297-1101 ext 3109.

Again, my apologizes!!

Daniel Miranda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Cornwall, UK.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for a few nights in May 2013, was a nice clean hotel, the hallways are really nice and feels like you are staying in the middle of a rainforest with the waterfall noises etc, and the restaurant in the hotel serves good tasty food! Have to get a taxi to most places as not walking distance to the old Mexican town or gas quarters, but would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danni_Sanders
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Danni_Sanders,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We look forward to your return so you may experience the new additions we are currently updating at our property!

San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We got a killer deal on a discount site for the Crowne Plaza for a weekend in January, when we traveled to the area to look for a new home. The site advertised free breakfast and free parking, but at check-in we discovered breakfast was not included and parking cost nightly as well. My husband relayed this to the employee working and she waived our parking for the entire length of stay. The room had 2 queen beds and was pretty spacious. We loved that there was a walk out balcony with furniture to enjoy our coffee in the morning. Mission Valley is the perfect location to get anywhere in San Diego, so the Crowne Plaza is a great choice to stay for any activity you wish to do. We would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ash5761
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear ash5761,

We hope that you found your dream home in San Diego! Thank you for sharing your experience and look forward visiting us again soon whether it’s a staycation or eating at our sushi bar.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I was born and raised in San Diego. Staying at the Crowne Plaza was a really great choice, the location, the price the service is above and beyond even in some of the most 5 star hotels.

Michelle, Front Desk Supervisor, made such a great impact on making sure my stay was perfect I stayed another day. Very professional, courteous and just awesome to know that people like her still exist in this industry - thanks Michelle!

I will be back!

Best,
Sean

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Sean L,

Thank you for your kind words! Michelle was honored that you mentioned her on your review about her great service. Michelle is definitely an awesome employee. We thank you for your business and we look forward to continue on providing excellent service each visit.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This Crowne Plaza hotel is on Hotel Circle. It is in close proximity to downtown San Diego, Coronado, La Jolla, Leukadia and all the wonderful little areas NORTH of San Diego. The hotel is undergoing extensive renovations to keep up with the finest hotels. The rooms are soooo comfortable and clean. We asked for a "deep cleaning" as my husband has dust allergy. Everything we requested was fulfilled within minutes. They bend over backwards to please the guests. The food is excellent in the dining room and room service is speedy and wonderful. The club room on the top floor offers a wonderful light breakfast and the coffee is outstanding. At the cocktail hour, hors doeurves and spirits are offered to the guests. The beer and wine selection is outstanding. The General Manager, Mr. Kirk Shearer is totally hands on and spearheading the upcoming renovations. He can be seen walking the property making sure all is up to standard. The sushi bar was JUST renovated and is well known in the area and very popular. The reception staff, the concierge, and the servers in the restaurants are well-trained and very professional. They helped us with all our needs. The pool is magnificent and the groundspeople maintain the area beautifully. Also, the gym is small but has high quality workout equipment and there is a laundry room for the guests which is clean and has high end machines. The hot tub is very popular. We can't wait to return to the hotel for our vacation next winter. It was a very special accommodation and we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We like to overlook the pool. The highway traffic might bother some people but we hardly notice it...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
What a great review Linda B! It was delightful to read your review how you were able to you experience a lot of the services and amenities our hotel has to offer. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do to make your stay extra special.

Daniel MIranda
So Cal
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed two nights for a conference at the Town and Country (attendees stayed throughout Hotel Circle). It’s an easy, flat walk of about a mile to the T&C – we were glad of the exercise. I’m not sure I’d walk on my own in the dark – there are some desolate bits.

The grounds
• Old-fashioned Polynesian theme, with ferns, lava rock (fake?) waterfalls, tikis, etc, all very well kept-up.
• Most of the rooms are in a tower surrounding an open courtyard. There are no interior corridors – you enter your room from an open-air walkway. They face out to either the pool and gardens, or to the parking lot, and most have balconies. I really liked this set-up – I’d rather have the air and sunlight than a closed hallway. I didn’t notice any extra noise.
• Everything seemed to close early – e.g. snack shop closed at 9pm. There’s only one snack vending machine, in the guest laundry.
• We had group breakfasts in a ballroom here. Food quality was mixed: scrambled eggs were dreadful (watery, mushy), but the potatoes were pretty good, and the quiche was excellent. Service was friendly, but I think they were a bit understaffed for the group size.
• There are several glass elevators in the middle of the courtyard. Unless you’re dragging luggage, take the stairs – the elevators seem to stop at every floor whether a button is pushed or not, and they are slooooooowww. We beat the elevator every time.
• Self-parking was $12/day. Ouch.
• Everything looked very clean.

The room
• I was in a 5th floor double queen. Plenty of room for two, and plenty of storage – besides the closet, the large armoire/tv stand had two hanging sections and a bank of large drawers.
• No tropical theme here – the room was fresh and modern, with neutral colors and updated décor. My mattress was basically comfortable (firm), but they do that blanket tucked halfway down the bed thing (which I find uncomfortable), plus it was made from this weirdly stiff, scratchy cotton that I could feel through the sheet. Odd!
• The bathroom had good lighting, double sinks and plenty of counter space for two.
• The pipes rattled and rang all night – at one point I got up to check that something wasn’t overflowing. Other people near us mentioned the same thing, so there’s a problem somewhere.

The irritating
Reception proudly displays a TA green property award, which I find hilarious. But:
• There’s no reminder to re-use your towels.
• There’s no card to tell housekeeping not to change your sheets.
• There’s only the option to forego the day’s maid service altogether, in exchange for a $5 coffee shop credit. But we still needed coffee re-supplied, and a new box of tissues, and tp, etc. So that isn’t being green, that’s the hotel saving money by cutting staff hours.
• There are no water fountains anywhere. But there are beverage vending machines on every floor, so you can buy a $2 bottle of water.
• There are no recycling bins anywhere, so you’ll be throwing out the empty.

As long as you have a car, it’s a decent base for San Diego. It’s probably average for the area.

Room Tip: There are rooms in designated quiet areas, if that's important to you.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jenazz,

Thank you for taking the time to write an extensive review. We appreciate all of your feedback and the pictures you posted. With the picture you took from the balcony and mentioning the 5ht floor we were able to investigate the noises you heard and fixed the plumbing issue. Thank you for mentioning the good things about your stay but more importantly the bad without informing us we would not have the opportunity to correct them and make it a better guest experience.

Best Regards,
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I visited the Crowne Plaza for the first time in a rain storm. Due to timing my drive to avoid some of the rare California showers, I ended up arriving about four hours early. On a whim, I thought I would try for an early check-in: No problem. A room was found and I was on my way through the jungle landscaping. One of my few problems with the hotel is that the layout causes the guest to go outdoors to get from the lobby to their room. Going outside does not work well in a rainstorm. Luckily it does not rain often in San Diego. My room was clean and looked to have been recently updated. The bed was clean and comfortable. The plumbing worked fine. The flat screen TV worked, although the internal cable system needs some maintenance. The Wi-Fi connection worked well. It is free to priority club members.
As far as food, I noted the hotel has sushi bar and lounge and a number of other restaurants. I didn't get to try them since we went out for most of our meals. Assuming you have a car, there is easy access to many restaurants along Hotel Circle. At the end of the strip, there is a shopping mall with more restaurants. I did have one meal at the hotel, a Mexican buffet, which was delicious.
The best part of my experience at the hotel was with the staff. Every single interaction was marked by a welcoming spirit and a willingness to help. The staff made me feel like a welcome guest, and attitude I really appreciate.
Overall, my stay was enjoyable and relaxing and I would be more than willing to return.

Room Tip: The freeway is to the south, so those rooms are noisier.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank azuplink
Dear azuplink,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff. It was unfortunate it rained during your stay and we will purchase more umbrellas for our guests to borrow when it surprisingly rains in San Diego. We are delighted your stay was overall enjoyable that you will be coming back. We appreciate your business and please don’t hesitate to let us know during your visit if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable.

Best Regards,