Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Denver, Canada
“Sufficient”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Room was clean and comfortable, the furnishings were very dated. Some of the common areas were dirty and unkept, other areas were very nice. The service at this hotel is completely lacking. Ate in the restaurant twice and both times the service was terrible. Always waiting in line at the front desk. Upon check-in the front desk informed me there would be a charge for parking and internet. What they failed to tell me is that if I joined their loyalty program there isn't an internet fee for members. That could have saved me a few dollars!

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank COtraveler65
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear COtraveler65,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with lack of service during your stay. It's not typical for our guest to experience service like you described. We appreciate you informing us so that we may continue to improve the guest overall experience.

We hope that you give us another chance to provide you with excellent service that we are usually known for. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any special requests or concerns.

Daniel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I knew this property from when it was the Hanalei and they had Polynesian brunch on Sundays. The grounds are as beautiful as ever - very tropical with lush landscaping and waterfalls. However, the rooms are dated. The walls are so thin that I could hear the baby screaming in the room next door and the person on the opposite side talking on her cell phone. It was as if they were in my room!

The elevators take forever to get from one floor to another and the television quality was pathetic. I was traveling on business so didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel but if I were on vacation I don't think I would choose this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the freeway
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sdgamer
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear sdgamer,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you staying with us during your business trip. We apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. In October, we will begin our room renovations and we would like to invite you back when they are complete.

We look forward seeing you again!

Indio, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a conference and enjoyed its Tahitian inspired theme. Lots of lush tropical plants and flowers. Room was nothing fancy, but comfortable none the less. Bed was comfortable and shower quite hot. The bar had nice food offerings as well as a pretty good sushi bar. Pool was nice and the hotel also offers free shuttles to some popular SD tourist destinations like Old Towne/Gas Lamp.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jason B
Dear beckster2232524,

We appreciate you writing a review on your recent stay. Thank you for your kind words as it was delighted to read you enjoyed the tropical Polynesian theme and amenities/services we provide.

We look forward seeing you again!

Palmdale, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed for a conference between July 29- August 1. My room was on the eighth floor, 1812 by the stairs. I would have preferred a room away from stairs and elevator but fairly quiet. Room was clean, no odors and a sign on desk stated a huge fine for smoking. The next morning, I left my room for an all day conference at the Town and Country down the street. I noticed a large bug bite on my right foot. It was swollen and itched a little but I ignored it. It was hot and thought maybe I was bitten by something from walking around. Second night stay, next morning, found more bites on my legs and hands. Itched like crazy but no too bad. Last night stay, next morning got ready to check out, looked in mirror and saw a huge swollen bump on right temple. Thought maybe a pimple. More bites on legs. I guess I was in denial because who suspects bugs in their nice hotel room? Itched all day, especially bite on foot, then swollen bump on temple. Left San Diego Friday night. Woke up at home Saturday morning to weeping, dripping oozing welts. This is not a pimple. These are bug bites! Fleas? Spiders? I had housekeeping clean my room each night I stayed. An infestation! Totally disgusted and upset. I called and reported the incident to a 1-800 number but I didn't get the actual hotel but some call center. Lady was nice and helpful, told me it is a pet friendly hotel. Perhaps fleas? My worst fears confirmed, saw a colleague the next Wednesday. He stayed at the same hotel for the same conference. He mentioned the bites on his body were spider bites! He showed me a huge swollen welt on his foot. He went to the emergency room! He also had additional bites on his legs and thighs. He also stated he complained to management while he was there and they did nothing! Also, his room was on a different floor. I will never stay there again. My room was 135.00 a night. It took nearly a week for my hives to stop itching and heal. My colleagues' hives were much worse than mine but I had an old anti itch ointment prescription to put on the hives.I stayed at the Town and Country in the past. An older hotel but nice and no bug bites! If I ever go back to San Diego, I won't book a room at the Crowne Plaza that's for sure!

Room Tip: Eighth floor quiet and exclusive. Apparently club members and bugs are the only ones allowed.
Green Features: Incentive for not having housekeeper clean up your room each day. I think credit at one of the restaurants.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank AVTeach
Dear AVTeach,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and bringing this issue to our attention. We appreciate you mentioning that you found the room clean and quiet during your stay. We apologize for any inconveniences you had in regards to insect bites you had as we had your room room inspected right away.

We hope you give us another chance in the future.

Best Regards,
Taylor Lake Village, Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed here for the comic con and I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was calm, cool, and professional in the midst of what must have been a chaotic weekend. We were checked in quickly, and given great friendly service at all times Our room included free breakfast and it was well stocked while we were eating so no complaints. Our room had a large bathroom which helped with getting ready in the morning, and I thought all the furnishings and linens were adequate for our needs and price point. I was able to do laundry in their large clean guest laundry, plenty of machines and they worked well. We ate at the sushi bar one night with our kids, the food was ready quickly and our waiter was helpful when it came to ordering for kids. The hotel has a Hawaiian theme, which I thought would be a little cheesy but it really works with san Diego's weather, we loved the fish ponds and the pool. Our room overlooked the pool are and we loved he balcony. We bought in through the sdcc early bird program and I will try to choose this hotel again due to the shuttle access, quiet location, and stress-free experience.

Room Tip: If you need sleep during your trip, they do have a "quiet zone". Request a room in that ar...
Green Features: I'm not really sure what it meant, but I did see the Eco-friendly signs in the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DJH75
Dear DJH75,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay during comic con weekend. The location of the hotel and the bus routes provided during the event makes it easy to get to downtown and back to the hotel without having to worry about parking and traffic at the Convention Center.

We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

After I checked in to a room that smelled like a dirty basement , I was moved 4 rooms down to a much nicer smelling room. This place is large and Hawaiian themed. Which is crazy because it's San Diego which is very nice in its self. The bar is nice and the food is good. It has been a nice place to finish up a week of Mexico business

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Guest S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear jmaxson,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you letting us know about the room you were originally checked into so that we were able to provide better accommodations for you during your stay.

Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon!

Sunny Regards​,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had six great days at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in San Diego. The service was impeccable. From the communication before arrival to the friendly faces at breakfast, it seemed nothing was too much.
The room (6137) was spacious, with two queen beds, a large bathroom and a balcony overlooking the swimming pool. The room was very clean, although I suspect they didn't sweep the balcony before we arrived. This must be the only negative I can find: someone clipped his/her toe nails on the balcony. If you have to clip your toes, clean up after yourselves and don't leave it for the cleaning lady!

The beds were good, kind of soft, with lots of pillows and we slept well. Extra blankets were provided, as was an ironing board, very convenient, a little safe was in the closet. There was a large desk and lots of drawer and closet space, with - what a pleasant surprise! - enough hangers for both of our clothes. Some reviews said the hotel needs an update, but we thought the Hawaiian theme was kind of quaint.The grounds provide with lots of little nooks and spaces to sit.

Breakfast was served from 6am, and served in the restaurant area. Although tables were plenty, you could even sit outside if you preferred, the room where the food is placed on a buffet, is rather small. This makes for long lines in the morning. As I understood it, the hotel will be renovated this year, so maybe they'll take that into account. That said, there was never a shortage of anything, everything was replaced as soon as needed. Water and coffee were constantly refilled at the tables. The scrambled eggs were served every morning, as was bacon, but pancakes, baked potatoes and sausages weren't available every morning. The selection of sweets (brioches and muffins) was very big, though I would have preferred to see some bread, bagels or toast. Toast was served additionally upon request, as was fresh orange juice, but we only found that out on our third morning.

We never did take the chance to dine at the sushi bar, but since it was packed every night, it must have been good. All in all we had a great experience at the Crowne Plaza and we hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the swimming pool are also overlooking the highway, so if you don't like the h...
Green Features: We absolutely loved the going green possibility and we used it too. The hotel rewarded every night we didn't use the towel change/tidying room with a gift voucher, to use at the Kona Café.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Fawkes66,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed all of our amenities we have to offer, go green program and our spacious guest rooms. We apologize for the unexpected surprise you found out on your balcony, the Director of Housekeeping has been informed and will follow up with the housekeepers.

We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit! ​

Best Regards,