“Tropical Hideaway in the Middle of San Diego”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #155 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Crowne Plaza would be a great hotel if you're in town on vacation or for business. It's its own little self-contained tropical hideaway, with grottos of lush palms, waterfalls and tiki-laden bridges. Islands Sushi has good sushi and cocktails, but your also just across the freeway from Albie's, if you need a steak and some great atmosphere. Staff was friendly and helpful. I'll definitely return!

Room Tip: The pool view rooms are lovely and plenty quiet if you have your balcony door closed.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Guest S, Front Desk Supervisor at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear robjtak,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, we do hope you continue to stay with us during any future visits to San Diego.

Front Desk Staff

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I entered this tiki themed time warp because of a conference being held there. It is in fact probably one of the better hotels in this conglomeration of motels and hotels near the airport. People there were generally friendly, but the property is worn and lots of little things conspired to make it an annoying place to stay. Pool doesn't open till 9 am, so can't get my laps in. Need to use my room key to access my floor, but one elevator doesn't accept it. Lounge was dark, poorly attended, you had to check in (!) no bottled water, no snacks, coffee machine didn't work this morning till later, everything just old and scratched up. No airport shuttle, breakfast buffet not much different from what I get for free at a Marriott concierge lounge.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank John K

Dear John K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. First, I'm glad that you found our staff to be friendly, but I'm sorry you didn't have the best experience and all your comments have been passed down to our management team. Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Went to Tiki Oasis for the first time and this hotel is nothing but excellent! the staff is super friendly and helpful, the food and drinks are great! and everything is reasonably priced.We loved to sit by the pool at night with a cocktail and just take in the beautiful environment.The conference center was huge and really did accomodate tons of vendors and symmposiums without it being too crowdy and yet there were about 3000 people attending the event...It was really a great place to be with beautiful tropical surroundings, we will be back next year!

Dear Tiare72,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and your first TIKI Oasis experience. I hope you will be able to join us next year.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

HI!! I love it here! Especially beacuse I am here during the happiest time of year!! Tiki Oasis!! The grounds are beautiful. Waterfalls, plants, a pool!! The rooms are clean and big.
The staff gets a GOLD STAR!! Everyone is so helpful and welcoming!!! EVERYONE!! I hope that we coninue to keep our Tiki tradition alive here at the Crowne Plaza!!!

~Bunny Pistol

Dear Bunny P.,

Thank You for taking the time to write a review. We were glad to see you again this year and we hope you continue to join us during TIKI next year.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Coming to San Diego and staying at The Crowne Plaza is one of my favorite events of the year. The hotel is always roomy and comfortable and the I really appreciate the care we are given by the room staff/maid service. The revamp of the sushi restaurant was beautiful. Really made for more intimate dinning with your friends and family. Love the Cafe! Good coffee and always amazing service. Fast and friendly every time. It sadly looses a star due to the Island Restaurant. Get it together you guys. I understand it can be hard when you have a huge influx of guests and to be staffed properly when this happens as you never truly know what the crowd or flow will be like. My experience again was less then satisfactory as there were dozens of employees running around to do what seemed like nothing. They seemed confused as to who had what table which lead many tables to be ignored. Then when service was given the wait time for food was quite long and really not worth the wait at all. Food was less than I would expect from a fast food joint and you pay about 3xs the price. I tend to stick to the sushi restaurant while I'm there for the event weekend. Though it would be nice to have another option and one that could even have breakfast available longer with tastier food. That is my only complaint as it was the only thing to not have improved from my 1st year to my second year staying at the hotel. Everything else about the hotel was great and I cannot wait to be back for next year's Tiki Oasis!

Room Tip: Really liked the rooms that where on the backside of the pool. The noise seemed to not be an issue a...

Dear 744Tiffany,

Thank You for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a blast during TIKI. All your comments on the restaurant have been taken into account and I will pass them down to the restaurant manager. We do hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed for a long weekend and really enjoyed how accommodating and friendly all of the staff was. The sushi restaurant is fabulous, there are tropical atriums, waterfalls and ponds, clean, restful rooms-- it's a wonderful getaway.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Guest S, Manager on Duty at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Hallie M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful getaway and hope we become one of your favorites because we can not wait to see you again.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Came for the four day event Tiki Oasis. Great Tiki Atmosphere on the beautiful grounds. Please do not remove any of the Tiki's because they make this hotel a special place rather than a boring corporate hotel! The updated pool area was very nice. I liked the updated seating areas in the Island Sushi Restaurant. The staff is always friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean if a little dated.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sonia C,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property and the Tiki event. We are very happy you enjoyed your self and look forward to seeing you again soon.