“Awesome stay!”

Ranked #129 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
So Cal
“Awesome stay!”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We are happy to stay here because it is a union hotel that gives excellent service. It is central to many San Diego attractions and the shuttle takes you to the zoo, Balboa Park, Old Town and Sea World, plus they will drop you anywhere along the way.

Jose and Stephanie at the front desk are incredible help; attentive and knowledgable! There is not a better bartender on the planet than Lupe and Rich is the best driver around. There is a concierge named JIm who works his butt off to accomodate all requests

The rooms are clean and functional. My maid, Martha, was sweet and got me anything I asked for. There was a fridge in my room which helped for leftovers. We never even left for dinner since Erika and Laura are so good in the dining room.

I love it that they keep the pool heated and I swam in it for three hours on a 65 degree day since the water was 82 degrees. The spa was hot and well-kept, also.

I can't say enough good about our stay here. We were here for five days for my husband's work and the staff took care of anything I asked while I was there. The rooms were comfortable, the shuttle was great, the food was terrific, and the service was superb. (An extra thanks to Jose.)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to Jose, Steph, Martha, Erica and Laura, I agree that they are great as well. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and got to see what the hotel has to offer. The pool is one of our best amenities and the culinary staff does a great job with Postcards. we all look forward to having you return and stay with us again, if there is anything I can do for you on your next trip please do not hesitate to call me directly. Thank you again!
Pete Lassalette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The staff here is very wonderful.Very friendly and so very helpful. Rich is excellent shuttle driver. Gives great tips. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for taking the time write a review and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to Rich, he's always likes to see the comments on his service. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My daughter & I stayed here October 2011. The room was excellent and the restaurant food and staff were amazing. The cooked breakfast was great. Jeff the shuttle driver went out of his way to be helpful which we very much appreciated. Close proximity to Fashion Valley was a plus. We were lucky, we had a local friend drive us around. I found San Diego to be very much a drivers city but loved it & I will be back!

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a Point Loma room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank boydmi
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
We're so glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. I agree I think our rooms are very relaxing and very comfortable. I'll pass on your comments to the kitchen staff as they will be pleased regarding the comments about the food and service you had while you stayed with us. Again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you and your daughter back with us soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2011

The shuttle bus drivers are VERY GOOD, lovely infact. both Rich and (i cant remember the other ones name small gentleman.very helpful. a big thumbs up to them. )
The reception staff were ok, and restraunt too, and the food is REALLY GOOD.
However my fault with the hotel is, that nowhere on any site does it state how far out the hotel is, (having to pay 20dollers a taxi for nearly every ride out.)
Also it should state more on sites about the 100dollers the hotel hold a day!!! incase of damages! i wouldnt of booked this hotel if ide known that. which is ridiculous, especially when on own as i was left with no money to get anywhere. the reception did let me use the phone at the desk to try contact my travel company and ask the hotel to release some of the money but they said it would take 2days so this was no help. I wouldnt stay again because of the location and the hold on the amount of money per night.
food and staff nice though and rooms ok too.

tasha

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank natasha h
Thank you for the review, I'm glad that you found the staff accomodating and that the food was good. I am sorry that you did not think our location was centrally located to downtown, we feel that due to our location you can get anywhere in the city within 10 minutes, seaworld, zoo, beaches, balboa park etc. we will look at our material to insure that future guests are aware of our proximity to downtown. In regards to the $100.00, it's not a hold for damages to the room, it is to cover any incedental charges that you may incure during your stay, food, beverge etc. if the funds are not used they are released back to you at the time of checkout. Thank you again for staying with us, if there is anything I can do for you the next time your travels bring you to San Diego please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
El Centro, California, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed a single night on a busy weekend in San Diego and with a bit of serendipity and luck ended up at the Handlery and had great service from the friendly staff all the way around. Wonderful help with check-in, assistance getting local transportation and super check-out. Friendly staff that I was happy (as happy as you can be) to give my money to. Great location, clean rooms, nice upgrades, and super experience. Outgoing hospitality and all services exceeded my expectations. Thanks!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Thank you for a great review, we firmly believe that the people that work inside the hotel make the difference and I'm glad we met your expectations. The next time you find yourself in San Diego please give us a call directly as we would love to have back. Thanks again!
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The hotel is just okay! I stayed from 10/30-11/04/11! The staff all over was very nice and helpful but they still need to upgrade a few things such as The shower handle fell off when trying to turn it on to use. Also the special at the restaurant on 10/30/11 was Prime Rib and was a horrible experience. The meat was mostly fat and was tough. Tasted liked marked down meat leftover. Ordering from the menu the next day was better. They redeemed themselves the second day. NO MORE SPECIALS! UGH! TERRIBLE! Need more lighting at night when walking throughout property outside for safety reasons. Need a wider selection of food on 950 lounge menu. Also would like to recommend serving turkey products as well.

Room Tip: Ask that they help adjust A/C unit or you will freeze to death!!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl J
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to accomodating. I will pass on your comments to the Chef as normally we get very good reviews about our food and the restaurant service. Thanks you again for staying with us and we hope to see you back in the near future and wish you safe travels.
Barkingside

LOCATION -
Located next to the interstate 8

APPEARANCE -
You can't miss this hotel with it's huge sign outside. the hotel is split into different buildings

RECEPTION - extremely friendly and helpful lady on reception when we arrived she found us 2 rooms adjoining and helped us with lots of information regarding sea world and the zoo

ROOM -
We stayed in room 405. Room was very clean with 2 large beds which were extremely comfortable, lots of power sockets including sockets in the table lamps. A good sized tv although the tv had terrible reception. A desk with a lamp with power sockets. The room didn't have a safe. The bathroom was on the small size but still very clean. And the air con was on but even when set at 20 degrees it wasn't very cool.

BAR - bar area is very open plan. Located near reception.

RESTAURANT - very good food at a reasonable price.

MISC - big car park so no problem with parking you need a security pass to get in and out of the car park however what they fail to tell you is they charge $8 per day to park. Another downside was that they charge $10 per day for wifi. However they do provide a free shuttle bus to San Diego zoo & sea world.

OVERALL THOUGHTS -
while I recommend this hotel and had a pleasant stay I would suggest that they reconsider their wifi charges as this was the 3rd hotel I had stayed in on this trip and the only hotel that charged for their wifi. And I found it deceiving that I was not informed about parking charges especially when the car park was less than half full.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Nicko1977
Thank you for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We'll take your comments regarding WiFi into consideration as we do not want our guests to have a negative expierence because of it. Again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you soon.