“Great place to stay”

Ranked #101 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Calgary
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed here in November before and after our cruise. This hotel offers great value for the price. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Jeff the shuttle driver was the best and the shuttle service is free to certain locations, San Diego Zoo,Old Town, etc. It is also very close to Fashion Valley shopping mall and we were able to walk there in less than 10 minutes. You can catch the train at the mall, which we did and took it to Old Town. The rooms were spacious and clean. Ate breakfast in the restaurant, and the food was great and the portions were large. There is a lovely pool area.

Also stayed at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina 1 night and definitely preferred the Handlery. Much better service and value for your dollar. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and especially the food. I was also glad to hear that you got to enjoy some shopping and our pool prior and after your cruise, sounds like a great holiday and we're happy to be a part of it. The staff and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future and thank you for staying with us.
Pete Lassalette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Our girls holiday (7 of us) spent time at this hotel before and after a Mexican Cruise. This hotel was close to many sights and the staff was incredible. The free shuttle service to Old Town, Zoo and outlet mall was a nice touch. The large pool was great with lots of lounge chairs. Will stay there next time in San Diego.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2011Patricia
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I'm so glad to hear the seven of you had such a great time before your cruise, what a great way to start! I was gald to see that you got to enjoy the pool and local shopping, it sounds like the start of a perfect vacation. Thanks again for taking to to post a review and we look forward to seeing you all back the next time you're in San Diego.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Very courteous staff.
Very comfortable room.
Complimentary shuttle service to San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Old town and Fashion Valley shopping mall. The coach drivers are very friendly and helpful.
Free WiFi from lobby.
24 hour WiFi from room at $10 per 24 hour period.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the swimming pool are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us, I'm glad to hear that your room was comfortable and the staff accomodating. I'll be sure to pass on your comments and look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for staying with us and we're glad you got home safe.
Fremantle
Reviewed 8 December 2011

We loved this hotel. Good Value for money. We had a car which we did need because the hotel is a little out on the outskirts. Parking was easy and affordable. However, the hotel shuttle provided us an excellent service, we were taken to SeaWorld and picked up at the end of the day. Jeff the driver was excellent, friendly and spot on time to pick us up at the end of the day. The Bell Boy (Michael??) was extremely helpful when he showed us to our gorgeous room. We had a balcony overlooking the pool. The room was gorgeous with a nice roomy bathroom and nice toiletries. I received very good service from all. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were lucky and offered an upgrade for an additional $10 which included free wifi. If offered an u...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judsterm
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review, I'm so glad that you enjoyed your room overlooking the pool. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to Michael, I agree he's a great Team Member! The next time your travels bring you back to San Diego please give us a call directly, we look forward to having you stay with us again!
Maryland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Staff was very helpful,and friendly. Jeff the shuttle driver was very too. Shuttle runs 9-5pm.
Room was cozy. Bed was very comfortable. Postcards was a pretty good place to eat dinner.
Walking distance from Fashion Valley Mall. Be prepared to have $300 held on your credit or debit card. If you dont rent a car $18 oneway will get you into the Gaslamp, $10 oneway gets you into Old Town if you dont take the shuttle. $25 oneway from airport. Enjoyed stay!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SweetMcLaughlin
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review. The staff and I are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the restaurant. I'll be sure to show Jeff your review as well as he is a great asset to the hotel. If there is anything we can do for you during your next trip to San Diego please do not hesitate to call us. Thank you again for staying with us.
So Cal
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We are happy to stay here because it is a union hotel that gives excellent service. It is central to many San Diego attractions and the shuttle takes you to the zoo, Balboa Park, Old Town and Sea World, plus they will drop you anywhere along the way.

Jose and Stephanie at the front desk are incredible help; attentive and knowledgable! There is not a better bartender on the planet than Lupe and Rich is the best driver around. There is a concierge named JIm who works his butt off to accomodate all requests

The rooms are clean and functional. My maid, Martha, was sweet and got me anything I asked for. There was a fridge in my room which helped for leftovers. We never even left for dinner since Erika and Laura are so good in the dining room.

I love it that they keep the pool heated and I swam in it for three hours on a 65 degree day since the water was 82 degrees. The spa was hot and well-kept, also.

I can't say enough good about our stay here. We were here for five days for my husband's work and the staff took care of anything I asked while I was there. The rooms were comfortable, the shuttle was great, the food was terrific, and the service was superb. (An extra thanks to Jose.)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to Jose, Steph, Martha, Erica and Laura, I agree that they are great as well. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and got to see what the hotel has to offer. The pool is one of our best amenities and the culinary staff does a great job with Postcards. we all look forward to having you return and stay with us again, if there is anything I can do for you on your next trip please do not hesitate to call me directly. Thank you again!
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The staff here is very wonderful.Very friendly and so very helpful. Rich is excellent shuttle driver. Gives great tips. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for taking the time write a review and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to Rich, he's always likes to see the comments on his service. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.