Handlery Hotel San Diego
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
The Atwood Hotel(San Diego)
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Iris(San Diego)
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness centre
  • Pool
Town and Country San Diego(San Diego)
  • Restaurant
1,293 results
All reviewsold townthe shuttle driverfashion valley mallfree shuttlepool areasea worldlocal attractionsmission valleyan older hotelgreat poolpool and hot tubbalboa parkyogurtzooseaworldtrolleydowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My husband & I have just stayed here on our US holiday (from New Zealand) and what a great place to stay. Good central starting place to get to many local attractions. A huge thanks for the complimentary shuttle van & great drivers who were only too happy to go that extra mile out of their way to help us folks on our first stay in San Diego. Hotel staff very informative & great hints for best eating places & shopping when out for the day. Spa & swimming pool were awesome to relax in after a long day out. We loved our stay here & would absolutely go back there again if we head to San Diego again at anytime. Well done to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. Barry & Cathy Kewish, New Zealand.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy K
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review, I'm glad your stay was
"Brilliant" and the staff was so accomodating. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to the Rich, Michael and Jeff who drive the Shuttle, I'm glad you got to see what San Diego has to offer as well as the hotel. Thank you again for staying with us, We wish you safe travels and look forward to you coming back soon for another visit.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

My family just got back from a week in San Diego last week, and we really liked this hotel/resort. We were lucky that it was not busy, so we basically had the heated pool and the hot tub to ourselves most days. The pool area was very clean and tidy. We still had poolside service for drinks or snacks from the poolside lounge. Daniel was very helpful with directions and recommendations in the area, he was serving at the reefside lounge. Thanks Daniel! Our room was small but tidy, the bathroom was always clean, needs a little tlc to fix it up a bit, but good otherwise. Nice to have a fridge for snacks and drinks in the room. The hotel is very close to a major roadway, so the road noise took awhile to get used to. The continental breakfast which was included for our trip was nice...the waiters always tried to bring a variety of breakfast items...not buffet. We had no issues with check in or out...Thought we would be charged for parking on site, as I was warned online before of this, but it did not appear on our bill..We did rent a car, and you better bring a nav. system or gps because this country girl's head was spinning with all the off ramps, interchanges, and feeder routes, etc, but surprisingly, traffic moved very fast, but very little traffic jams!I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to friends... another perk was the proximity to a large outdoor mall called Fashion Vally Mall??? It has all the big name retailers, and you can even walk it if you want. We did not use the shuttle, but you can do this if you do not rent a car. Actually a close drive to the airport (15 mintues max?). Thanks to all the staff for a lovely stay! The staff seemed quite happy to be there and willing to help with all our inqueries....

Room Tip: Rooms facing roadway can be noisy, but the rooms overlooking pool could be noisy if the pool is busy...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank alberta38
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like Dan in the Reef Lounge took great care of you so I will pass your comments on to him. It was good to hear that you got to enjoy some of what San Diego has to offer, I agree the Fashion Valley Mall is a great place to shop, eat or just spend the day walking around. We look forward to seeing you and your family back soon and wish you safe travels. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife, 6-year-old daugher and I stayed here for 4 nights over New Year 2011/12 and had a great time. Staff were really helpful, the pool and hot tub were great, and there was plenty of access to the local attractions and the city centre. The shuttle bus team (Rich and Jeff) could not be more helpful and a lot of fun. The trolley bus city tour also picked up from the hotel. Our room was clean and well maintained. The bar even stocked an excellent selection of local beers which was good value at happy hour. We had great weather as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven F

I'm so glad you, you're wife and daughter had such an enjoyable 4 day stay with us and I'm happy that you got to enjoy what San Diego has to offer. I'll be sure to pass on your commnets to Jeff and Rich as they'll enjoy the feedback. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you back to San Diego. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.
Pete Lasalette

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I booked a room at Handlery on 6/24/11 but when I called to confirm I was told I did not have a reservation and the hotel was booked. I turned around and went home. I was surpised to see a charge for $156.38 on my next credit card statement, so I tried to have my credit card company reverse charges. The hotel fought me vehemently, arguing that I had no showed on a reservation. Finally, I posted a negative review on Yelp and got an email from the general manager, Pete Lassalette, who assured me that the money would be refunded. It was, and then was promptly REBILLED. This company has absolutely no integrity. I was completely scammed.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark W

My apologies for the confusion, as always with reservations that do not show guests are charged one room night and tax, if we did not have your reservation as you stated then how did we get your Credit Card number? When you disputed the charges with your bank, the bank contacted us to notify us of the dispute, we did have your reservation and proof that you did not show. When you contacted me I was apologetic for any confusion and agreed to refund your credit card which we did the next day. Prior to us crediting your account your credit card company agreed with us that the charge should stand as you were a no show, your credit card company reposted the charges not us. At this point we do not have your money if there is a dispute you need to contact your bank. By no means was this credit card fraud. If you would like to discuss this matter further please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

This hotel recommended a restaurant and gave us the directions to it. We dressed for dinner and proceed to the restaurant using the direction we were given.
During a two and one half hour search we never found the restaurant (even though we asked many people for help including the police). It was dark and the neighborhood was not very good.
Finally, after being exhausted by this wild goose chase, we gave up and then had a difficult time returning to the hotel. By the time we got to the hotel it was late and we were obviously quite hungry, as well as disappointed. The receptionist who gave us the directions admitted she had erred and had printed out the wrong instructions.
The next day, when we decided to check out, there was no effort to compensate us for our horrible night caused by the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Robert A
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Thank you for posting a review however I am sorry for the mistake made by one of our team members and we obviously did not do enough to recover from that mistake. I would like the opportunity to redeem ourselves, the next time you plan on visiting San Diego please give me a call directly and I would be more than happy to set up a reservation personally for you. again my apologies for the confusion, we have addressed the problem and can assure you it wont happen again, all the best in this New Year.