“over rated”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #128 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Room was just OK, although small. Refrigerator wad propped up in an older cabinet and prone to tip allowing door to open and contents to fall out. The tub fixtures didn't work properly. Drawing a bath couldn't be done. .Additional cleaning of the shower tile was needed. Toilet paper was from recycled paper and had the texture of sandpaper. Water stains were on the ceiling(probably from the room above).All the staff were friendly and helpful. The pool was very nice. Other hotels in the area are better for a comparable price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Estela D, Sales & marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the pool and that our staff was helpful and friendly. I hope that our staff was able to take care of the tub fixtures for you. We hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Estela D.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is our second time staying at the Handlery, and things were even better than previously.. The staff were extremely friendly , even the ones answering the telephone. Our rooms were comfortable comfortable, and again the housekeeping staff were courteous and regularly inquired as to the presence of any problems.

Room Tip: Perhaps away from the pool, if you expect people having fun and splashing to do so with the sound of...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Yvonnemerle,

We are happy to hear that your experience was wonderful! Thank you for the great feedback. We look forward to having you back soon as our guest & if you should travel to San Francisco, please check out the Handlery Union Square Hotel

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The beds and pillows were comfortable but the bottom of the curtain in the bathroom had black mold on it. They also forgot to replace the packet of coffee. The opened coffee packet was left in the basket.
This hotel was walking distance to the Town & Country Resort & Convention Center.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear tailypo,

I’m glad to hear that the bedding was comfortable, but disappointed to hear that the restroom area was not up to par. I am currently forwarding your information to our Executive Housekeeper.
We hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We loved the pool area and workout room and friendly staff. The beds were comfy and the the room was clean! Would have given it Excellent if it had a microwave and queen size beds. The refigerator was nice and in room coffee was great and it has free wifi.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the bottom story with a patio area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Katie A,

We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful time at our property! We appreciate your feedback. We look forward to having you back soon & if you should travel to San Francisco, please check out the Handlery Union Square.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights for a vaca on our way up hwy 1. If you want to stay in a overpriced smelly hotel this is it. They put us in a room near the pool and said pool closed at 10pm. Don't believe it. I had to call both nights near 11pm in order to stop the loud rap music and yelling. There were 3 of us and we were left one wash cloth on second day. I would not stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Janice0826
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Janice0826,

We are extremely sorry that the pool noise was disruptive during your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and will make sure to have housekeeping stock every room appropriately. We take every comment into consideration to help better our service.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were at the Handlery for just one night. I had done a lot of research and found hotels in San Diego to be quite expensive near the water or in the Gaslamp district. Once I began searching in the Hotel Circle the prices were fairly consistent. I decided on the Handlery as I thought it might have a bit more character than the usual chain hotels. I did not get a breakfast included but did get free parking, free wifi, a gym and pool (4 out of 5).

When we arrived there was a wedding party registering and also a woman complaining about her room. Each of these parties took about 15 minutes to resolve their issues. The staff seemed very helpful - perhaps too much so, considering the line up that was waiting to register - isn't there someone else who could help with directions and local attractions, etc?

We were given a map to the location of our room and a parking pass to come and go from the lot. The room was clean, the bed comfortable. We did not have enough time to use any of the amenities. The gym was small and the pool was large and inviting looking (though filled with families with small children).

After checking out the following day, my husband realized he had left a charger in the room. The concierge obtained it from the room and held it for us until we returned from a tour to pick it up. It wasn't worth much (unless you had to try to find another one) and we called before the room would have even been cleaned, but still it was nice to have someone retrieve it for us and hold it at the desk for us to pick up.

I would have liked to have more time to explore the property but I think it was good value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Notathome689

Dear Notathome689,

Thank you for staying with us! We are happy to hear that your experience with us was pleasant. Our staff is trained with the highest level of service to help make your stay enjoyable. We hope to see you again on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel to stay at since it was close to my sister's apt since she's getting married. I booked part through the block and part online. I called in to the hotel to make sure I wouldn't have to check out and check back in. They said it was all merged and did the same for my other sister. Her reservation was fine and she was even upgraded. Mine however, was a mess. To start out, driving up to this place, it looks like a shoddy motel once you're out of the main building. Whatever, sometimes the beauty is on the inside. Well, checked in and found out my room is completely separated from the family. And they can't move me. Oh, and I have to check out, bring my stuff to the lobby, get checked back in (where I'm not even guaranteed a room in the main building and could have to go back to the same building I just left). So, I suck it up. Head to the room to at least drop off my 5 suitcases with my husband when we find out there's no elevator. Finally get into the room. Smears all over the glass leading to the balcony, an iron but no ironing board, red blotches on the shower curtain, and it still looks like a motel but I've seen far nicer Motel 6's. Other than shopping, there's nothing around here. I should have stayed in downtown for the $10 more a night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear tigernicole86,

My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience of the room move throughout your stay. We take pride in our service therefore this information has been forwarded to our front office manager for further attention. We appreciate your feedback and value your opinion as our guest.