“Pass this one by if you can”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #99 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Rafael, California
“Pass this one by if you can”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The rating of 3 is because the pool area and hot tub are nice, although I've never seen the pool have an open bar (it's always closed up, even in mid August, really?) and there is no food service or bar service unless you go inside to the bar near the front desk. Ok, let me say that we had to change rooms twice. First room was in very back of bldgs with view of a concrete wall and an apartment building (bad). The sink was clogged so we moved to Rm #2 same wing. Could not get shower to work by pulling up spigot on spout, plus room right by security door which slammed every 5 min or so. Especially at night (ugh). Moved to Rm #3 in Main Bldg. Nicer room with a deck overlooking hills and Hwy 8. High ceilings. Had a bottle of champagne waiting for me in this room (for the inconvenience? thanks ..... appreciate that really I do).
Bed was OK, not too soft, but fine. Bath is very small. Shampoos, soaps are fine.
I did find the stay to be a bit pricey, but this is Fashion Valley in San Diego, and the prices are higher. Parking was included with my package stay. There was a wedding going on the Saturday night we were there so very crowded in pay lot. A beef I had.... When trying to check out the night before we left because we were departing at 3am,(just to see if I owed anything, walked into a mostly deserted lobby, with one check out clerk helping customers, and several other employees standing around basically doing nothing, stood there waiting for 10 - 15 min or so, and no one offered to help or ask if they could help me. Guess that was not their job. The clerk was trying to check in a couple who had a language barrier so everything that the clerk told the female, she would then translate into Spanish for the male. So we just all stood there and waited out the translation session .... ugh! Would have been super nice to acknowledge that you had a customer just waiting and waiting... so I walked out.
Well, won't be back again, sorry but too many negatives to the positives.
Oh yeah, one more thing, you charged my husband $.25 for two sets of plastic cutlery wrapped in plastic. After spending approx $700 for three nights there, REALLY?????!!!!!
OMG

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Where does one start! We have stayed at Hotels all across America and this has been the worst by far. We stayed at this hotel for a Conference and must say were very glad when we left and certainly won't be returning. We are regular visitors to San Diego and this is definitely OFF the must stay at list. The Hotel is old, dark, still back in the 80's and has a musty smell when you walk into the foyer. We were greeted at the Reception Desk only to be told we were on the first floor (with stairs only) and that there was NO lift. When told this, I thought it was joke, only to discover it wasn't. We had 5 heavy suitcases which were difficult to manage. The first night we had dinner in the dining room (and it was the last), the meal was disgusting. I ordered Steak and clearly asked when ordering if it was plain or came with something on it. I was told it came plain. I did repeat this again just to make sure as I can’t eat meat soaked in sauces. I took a bite and discovered the meat had clearly been marinated and it was unpleasant. 3 people asked me if I enjoyed it when they noticed I wasn't eating the meal and I told them it was inedible, nothing was done about it (very poor in my opinion and not good customer service). I might add one was the General Manager who told me 'well other people think this meal is nice' and she walked off. And of course things only got better. The room was clean, but very small and extremely noisy as we backed onto a very BUSY freeway. The bathroom wasn't big enough to fit 2 people in (barely 1) and there was nowhere to put your bathroom toiletries. Would you like to hear more? The walls are paper thin and we could hear what was playing on the TV in the next room and the occupants discussions, so not cool! We didn't have a vehicle with us so this didn't affect us however, I did over hear several people complaining about the cost of parking when they had already paid to stay, they were expressing how they felt ripped off. I will also mention that we had recently stayed at The Venetian in Las Vegas (a 5 star hotel) which was pure luxury, a 1 bedroom suite with a bathroom which was as big as the entire bedroom at the Handlery and all this was the same price we paid....you decide!

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank myopinionreview
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Myopinionreview,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was unpleasant. I will make sure to forward your review to our management team. Your feed back is appreciated.

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Torquay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 4 nights & loved it.

Yea the location may not have the best scenery but the hotel itself was very good all the staff were amazingly helpful and friendly and I would recommend any other couples to stay here. The pool was just beautiful and the spa which we swam In them both everyday! The restaurant had beautiful food and I was very happy with my stay. The room got cleaned everyday, no personal belongings were moved or touched.

If you have kids, this will be perfect. They play a projector screen with kids movie on it at night which you can watch sitting in or around the pool and spa.

Very happy.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stephntrent
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Stephntrent,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We would be more than happy to have you as our guests again soon. I am very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the family movies that we play on Friday & Saturday nights by the pool area.

Best regards,
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

They need to be competitive. Cant believe they charged us for parking. There was no breakfast. I have stayed at many places where the price of the hotel is reasonable and they offer free breakfast. They need to be more competitive.There was no soap in the bathroom. Freezer needed defrosting.

Room Tip: Avoid if you do not want to pay for parking.
Dear Fatima S.,

We appreciate your feedback to help us provide better service to our guests. I am sorry to hear that there was no soap in your room. This will be forwarded to our Executive Housekeeper. I am hoping that one of our staff members was able to bring you the soap once they were notified.

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Nice place! Rooms are nice, bed is comfortable, grounds are well kept, staff is friendly and helpful. We needed connecting rooms. Front desk suggested their Parlor room, it's a beautiful suite with an extended balcony. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you're looking for connecting rooms, ask for the Parlor suites. As a bonus, you get an exten...
1 Thank Marina012California
Estela D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Marina012California,

Thank you for the marvelous comments! We look forward to having you back as our guest soon!

Best regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Very helpful and friendly Staff. The rooms are a bit small, but an overall great experience. Pool bar is fun!
Just about every room has a great view. It is two minutes away from a golf course and 10 walking minutes from the Fashion Valley mall!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pmespino
Dear Pmespino,

We are always happy to hear feedback as well as praise about our staff. We hope you visit us again soon!

Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Ok I had a great time at this hotel, but I don’t get the area. There is a string of these resort hotels on hotel circle, which is basically a frontage road of the I-8. Not sure what that is all about. The hotel is fine once you are inside, but not scenic. If you are looking for a beach hotel is not it.

Once in the side the interstate is left being and the hotel is quiet and comfortable. It is built around a pool court yard and conference center. The rooms in the main building are nice and have balconies over the pool. This maybe a good or bad thing depending on what you want. The other buildings are pretty standard. Nothing great and a bit overpriced with views of more parking lots. Service was great and the staff accommodating.

If you are here for a wedding or convention the hotel is fine if not it better than average but not "very Good". Your call.

Room Tip: Try to stay in main building, avoid the other ones.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank oldensign
Dear Oldensign,

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.