“Most comfortable stay I think I have ever had.”

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Ranked #133 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I am one of those "just want cheap, will settle, just need a place to stay so who cares as long as clean/no bugs" kind of people. So was SUPER PLEASED to find for a price that is comparable to the Super 8, Motel 6 etc... it had MANY of the perks of a luxury hotel.

First the BEDS, BEDDING and PILLOWS...AMAZING!!! So soft and comfortable. And I am one of those picky, hard to sleep anywhere other than home people. Only needed one pillow and was not lumpy, held it fullness all night. Mattress was PERFECT, down comforter, SO COMFY! And the blackout curtain...REALLY did black all out! This might sound minor but what a difference it made dragging two toddlers sightseeing for 3 days, to have a WONDERFUL nights sleep and to sleep in a bit AND they napped because room was dark, no sore back, shoulders etc.. that I usually get from low/moderate priced accomodations. (slept better than at home I think LOL!)
This was a 10 day trip for us (cruise too) with husband and two toddlers (18 months and almost 3yr). So we had a TON of baggage/gear. Big enough rooms for all of our crap, a AND a crib AND for kids to play around without us stepping on each other. AND way clean enough to let kids sit on carpet and play (and I am one of those that does not walk barefoot in hotels but here, I did not have a problem letting kids play on the floor) And a note about the crib...not only do they provide cribs (not all do) but they have the "pack and play" cribs vs. the metal cribs with slats, which is AWESOME for a few reasons...First, I did not have to bring mine from home and pay extra luggage fee on the plane to and from. Next, you can easily fold it up when not in use for more room. And last but most important, they have soft mesh sides, every other place I have stayed have those small metal cribs with slats, which work and are fine...but these are better (especially for bigger/older babies and those who use binkies)..the small metal ones do not have "bumpers" so my son was always waking up either because hitting head on metal frame or foot caught in slat or binkie fell out to the floor. The mesh "pack and plays" have more "give" and are soft and no openings for hand/feet/binkie. Again, all things that may not matter to most...but was a super great perk for us.
And not to ramble...but just a couple more things...Location was PERFECT...and with a 18 month who HATES car rides and knowing that sometimes 5 miles in CA traffic can take FOREVER, it is close to EVERYTHING from major sight seeing attractions (Zoo, Seaworld etc..) to stores & mall (from SuperTarget to upscale) close to restaurants Denny's, McDonald, In & Out, Bennigans, to upscale restaurants. Even one on site.

The parking costs $12 but kind of cool for people who fly in rather than having that built in to price of the room. (and with the free shuttle service they provide, you do not have to rent a car) And for those of use who did have a car...room WITH parking was still close to the same price as many nearby motel/lower end hotels and worth the piece of mind that car is safe and secure.

I have stayed places with a bit more selection with "free continential breakfast" (waffles, multiple, "all you can eat" selections, etc...) but minor issue and what is offered is just fine for kids or something fast to tide you over.

I guess the only things that weren't PERFECT was: Would have been cool to have a microwave too, (there is a fridge and coffee and hairdryer). There was NOT free wi-fi (internet) in the room (which seems everyone, even super cheap motels usually have, don't they??) and cable TV selection way limited...NO PBS, Disney, Nick, etc... for kids favorite shows...just Cartoon Network (nothing of nutritional value there!) And last, the water pressure in the shower was low, but not sure anyone has control over that. LOL!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DFarrer
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

WOW, thank you for such a nice review, I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you got to see all the attractions San Diego has to offer. Being a family owned and operated hotel we understand how important family vacations and getaways are. I too travel with small kids of my own and trust me I know the frustrations when hotels aren't kid friendly or things don't go just right way how it can really mess up your plans and overall expierience. I have passed on your review to all the team members so they can be fully understand where our guests needs are. Thank you again for the overwhelmingly good response and I look forward to having you and your family back soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2011

This hotel is located on the north side of Hotel Circle on I-8, with very easy access to I-5 & I-15 for N/S travel, as well as CA-163 for quick access to downtown and wharf area. It is clean, quiet and comfortable, with secure parking. Located just 1/2 mile from the Fashion Mall - which is huge and has an array of stores not commonly found in smaller cities - and also 1/2 mile from Riverwalk Golf Club, which has reasonable rates and 27 holes of good golfing experience.

We had poor service at the in-house restaurant for breakfast two mornings in a row and told the Front Desk about the problem. Their response was so quick, professional, and comprehensive that I am booking another stay at the hotel with my spouse next month. The continental breakfast was included in the hotel package, and had a menu price of about $5, so it wasn't that big of a financial deal, but the Desk and the entire staff treated our disappointment like a personal failure. They immediately altered our bill, although we neither asked for this or expected it. They comped us to dinner so that we could, in their words, "experience the proper dining experience they expect every guest to enjoy." The manager came to our table at dinner to check on us, and he was also in the lobby the next morning at checkout to greet us and other guests who were leaving.

From this you might conclude that we made a big issue of the breakfast and caused some type of scene and became notorious to the entire staff. Not true. We very quietly explained that their was a shortcoming in one area of out stay, and the remaining experience had been exceptional. Their response was that every guest should have an exceptional experience in every aspect of their stay at the hotel. Wow. They deserve some credit, and some loyalty. I have found my hotel for every trip to San Diego.

Finally, their location could not be better. Access by freeway and by surface streets to anywhere you may want to go is perfect. We drove to Coronado twice, and both trips were done in 15 minutes. The Zoo (with which the hotel has a free round-trip shuttle service) is ten minutes away.

The only area I gave less than "5" to was the rooms. They were fine, but a little crowded, with the bathroom being noticeably small. Cleanliness and quality were fine. The fitness center has about four cardio machines - ellipticals or treadmills- and one bench with a rack of 8-10 dumbbells. It is a very tiny room.

I highly recommend the Handlery Hotel and Resort.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Notbrown

Thank you for your review and allowing us to redeem ouselves in the future. We all know getting guests through the door for the frst time is one thing, keeping them happy and willing to return is another. I'm glad that our recovery and general concern for you to have an enjoyable stay we noticed. We will do our best to continue to improve and hope that we see you again in the near future as I was glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel. The next time you are planning a trip to San Diego or San Francisco, please feel free to contact me directly as I would be more than happy to make your reservations personally. Again thank you for the second chance, we value your business and look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2011

We travel to San Diego every February and have been searching for a hotel we really like. I had high hopes for the Handlery, since it's location was ideal for us and it had been recently remodeled. Unfortunately, our search continues. At check in, the front desk person wasn't rude, but she didn't go out of her way to make us feel welcome either. I will say that the front desk person at our check out did a great job. The parking was convenient, but if you're looking for a hotel type feel, you need to stay in the poolside rooms; the rooms not by the pool have a definate "motel" feel. Bathroom counterspace is non existent and the beds were too soft for my taste. The doors must be pulled quite hard to close, so all night we were disturbed by the sound of slamming doors. All in all, it wasn't horrible, but for the money it cost, I wasn't impressed. We will keep searching for our San Diego "home away from home"

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and honesty. It seems as if we have some work to do so I have passed on your comments to our Front Office and Engineering staff to address your concerns. Although I cannot change the physical property layout we should be able to make up for it via our service and personalities. Your thoughts will be taken to heart and I can assure you that we will do our best to improve. I ask that if you visit San Diego again to contact me direclty as I would like to make your arrangements personally for your next trip in an effort to redeem ourselves, Thank you again for staying with us and your review and I hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 1 February 2011

This place was really nice. The staff was great and the accomodations were very nice for my wife and I. The only thing that I didn't like was the complimentary breakfast. Bagels and fruit didn't cut it for me!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
GenMgrSanDiego_CA, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Thank you for your review, we're glad you made it down form Vegas and glad you stayed with us. I'll pass on your comments to the staff as they'll apprecate what you said. We're looking at expanding the complimentry continental breakfast offerings as I understand there may be a need for more variety without ordering off the menu. We hope that next time Vegas get to hot that you'll stay with us again and enjoy the San Diego beaches. Thank you again and hope to see you and your wife soon!

Reviewed 1 February 2011

Ordered a bottled water while sitting at the pool, and literally took over 1/2 hour to get it - at least they didn't charge me. The "free" continental breakfast, in my opnion, is SO minimal that it is probably a ploy to get you to order off the breakfast menu. And the breakfast menu prices are OUTRAGEOUS! The markup is criminal! And the worst, NO FREE INTERNET. Again, price gouging here with charges of 50 cents a minute. $12/day to park is just another way to get your money... this is not like a parking garage in a downtown area where parking is hard to find... this is just a parking lot for the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

First and foremost than you for youre review, I am sorry that you felt that our prices are too high. We do our best to position ourselves to be in line or even a little below our other full service competetors in the valley. Most other full service hotels in the valley charge anywhere from $12 to $15 a day for parking and most charge for internet use in their business centers. We offer the continental breakfast for those guests that want something fast and affordable before the head out to the city for the day or to attend their meeting, their is no hidden agenda behind it as many guests simply want a bagel, a bowl of cereal or fruit to start their day. I have passed on your comments to our restaurant manager regarding the timely service at the pool as 30 minutes for a botle of water is unacceptable. I hope this helps clarify a few things and we are glad that you stayed with us and hope that you'll give us another chance.
Respectfully,

Reviewed 26 January 2011

My boyfriend and I were coming to San Diego for a getaway and did some research online and found the Handlery. I'm always critical of hotels since I have a background in hospitality and this place definitely exceeded my expectations. It's clean, in a great location, and has everything you need. Not to mention their amazing pool area. Location was great because it's close to pretty much everything - Gas Lamp, Old Town, Zoo, and Sea World. The staff was great and very helpful. My one complaint is that we had reserved a shuttle ride to the zoo one day and waited 30 minutes for it, even though we had scheduled a specific time. We decided to just drive and we let the staff know of our change in plans and they were apologetic and great about it all. Overall, a great experience!

1  Thank Rachel G

Thank you for the nice review and I'm glad you got to enjoy everything San Diego has to offer! Though Santa Barbara isn't a bad place to have fun, we're glad you came down and welcome you back anytime. You stated that you were in the hospitality industry so your nice comments let us know that we're doing something right and we appreciate it. So next time you need to get away for a weekend either in San Diego or San Francisco please do not hesitate to call us directly. We look forward to having you and your boyfriend back soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2011

We did research on Hotels for our trip to San Diego, and found that the Handlery fit our every need. The service was great and knowledgable, especially Michael in Concierge and Jeff our tourguide, van driver! Both were always willing to assist and find info we needed via internet if they didn't know. The one thing that could help is if the pool was heated better! Was a bit cold to enjoy.
Thanks everyone for a great trip to San Diego!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Thank you so much for writing your review, we appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that everyone was helpful, I'll be sure to pass on your thanks to Jeff and Mike at the bellstand. Thank you for bringing the pool temperature to my attention, we like to keep it at approx 78 degrees so I'll have our engineering staff look into it. We look forward to having you back with us soon and thank you again for the review.
Genral Manager