“Fair condition”

Ranked #244 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Portland
“Fair condition”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

recently visit Sea Word (San Diego) and stayed at Howard Johnson Inns. The staffs were nice people, but the Ice machine was broke, Breakfast was poor, and there is no fruits available, only two cereals kind of available for the kids.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I feel bad about writing this review but I'm hoping that it will encourage the management to clean this place up, or at least deter people from staying there.
We checked into this HoJo because it was the cheapest hotel at Hotel Circle. Now we know why. We opened the door to our room and I have never been so creeped out by a hotel in my life. (I am not a "Ritz Carlton" kind of gal, mind you. I have stayed in many motels and less-than-stellar hotels.)
Our room had an old, slashed up leather couch, a layer of dust on every piece of furniture. There was trash under the bed (I only had a quick look because I was scared of what I'd find.) The walls had dirt stains on them! I did not even want to put my pillow on the bed, let alone stay in that room.
Here's the kicker: the owner's family (or friends or something) use one of the rooms for themselves. Our room was next to theirs and their door was open. They were COOKING on some sort of skillet on the floor of their hotel room. The whole place smelled of curry. (I'm not being racist. I really was curry.) WHO DOES THAT!?

The one good thing I can say about this place is the guy that was at the front desk was very friendly. When we went down to the front desk to see about getting a refund because we did not want to stay there, he refunded us for the next night (we had to stay that night, unfortunately.) He moved us to another room that, while still very questionable, was slightly better than the first one.
He did not seem surprised that we were creeped out by the room. Reading the other reviews, it seems like it happens a lot.

My final note: DO NOT STAY HERE. Cough up the extra $20 a night or so and stay at another Hotel Circle hotel. This is not the typical Howard Johnson. I recommend the King's Inn or the Mission Valley Resort, both of which are a few doors away from this hotel and much cleaner and nicer. (In the grand scheme of things, paying a little more will be worth it, trust me!)

Room Tip: Do not stay here. If you must, ask for a room in the back of the hotel or the noise from the freeway...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashley M

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Paris
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Wi fi does not work old dirty rooms front desk does not answer phone beds old and TV is so old with poor reception
Spare yourself a bad experience
If there was a zero rating this place would get it
I did not mention the loud constant freeway noise 24 hours a day