“Not the quality I would expect of Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #163 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed in the regular room, not tower. The regular room was older, the door wouldn't close unless pulled very hard and overall was just a so-so room. The beds were so incredibly hard that my back hurt each morning. The grounds of the property were nice. Nice pool area, water slide and convenient location. My kiddos and I ordered the s'mores pack and made s'mores our last evening near the outdoor fire pits. It was a bit expensive, but overall a good time. Also please make note that there is a 25.00 day parking fee. I did not factor this in when booking the reservation. I would not stay at this property again. Although we did not spend a lot of time in our room, the fact that the beds were so uncomfortable I would choose to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Maybe the tower rooms are better, I cannot advise since I only stayed in the regular rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kendra S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear tvlgem,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay. It was disappointing to hear that you were not pleased with the room and I would like to offer an apology for any inconvenience you experienced as a result. I have shared your comments with our management team and will ensure we follow up appropriately. I hope you can view this as an isolated incident and allow us the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Irby Morvant

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here with a group after our company party. We had a great stay, rooms were very clean and well kept. Service was also very good, and lives up to the Hyatt name.. I would recommend and will be coming back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We wanted to get away for the weekend and this was the perfect location. Great restaurants close by and great setting for romantic walks. Rode bikes and enjoyed the area completely. Closed to Sea World and other bay front areas. Winter months are great for good room values as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bonnie S
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I usually love staying at Hyatts as I find that most times you feel like you get great service without the Ritz Carlton prices (see review of Hyatt Tahoe). As other reviewers had mentioned, this one doesn't quite live up to the Hyatt standards. Although it was very busy during our stay, I would expect a Hyatt to be able to anticipate this and plan accordingly to accommodation the influx of guests. Here were some glaring examples.

1. There were only 1 person checking in for the main line and 1 person for the "VIP" line. With 10 people waiting in line and expecting lots of check ins, they should have an extra person to accommodate during the busy time.
2. They were out of towels at the pool and until we went into the pool restaurant to have them call it in as it was empty for quite some time.
3. They did not replace the water in our room because they ran out. With a $19 daily resort fee that is suppose to cover 2 bottles of water, I do want my $9.50 bottle of water.
4. Resort fee...not sure if they are still continuing with it but a $19 resort fee seemed unnecessary for what you get. Most places like Hawaii has resort fees but the resort fees cover self parking, snuba lessons in the pool, water aerobic classes, etc.. Here, they already charge a separate parking fee so a resort fee for things that most guests probably won't use except for the 2 bottles of water daily that they don't always even replace seems like a rip off. We won't really need the local phone calls since most will just use cell phone, wireless internet usage may be a tossup but if it's mainly business clients that uses it, then just charge for usage since they can expense it anyways vs charging everyone. For everyone else, just enjoy a tech no vacation.
5. They probably need to have an adults only hot tub as the one they had with a capacity of 15 or so had over 40 people at one time including the kids in there.

But don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful things about this resort and our experience there as well.

1. Despite the long wait to check in, the front desk was very friendly and patient in answering any questions and whenever we did have a problem, they made sure to rectify it.
2. We stayed in the tower which I believe the rooms were recently updated and the balconies overlooking the pool is a nice respite to enjoy your breakfast out there in the mornings or to absorb some sun in the afternoon.
3. Walking distance to the marina and boat deck for a nice scenic morning run, etc..
4. The For Your Convenience amenities is one of the things I like about the Hyatt as you are bound to forget something or didn't realize you needed it.

So definitely pros and cons for this place. If they can fix the cons, I think it can bring the standards up to what you would expect from a Hyatt.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. We had a suite in the tower rooms with a corner window. We had a separate sleeping area and the views were great! We were within walking distance of the boat docking areas and there were a lot of places to walk along the bay. We did have trouble finding eating areas near by. There are some fast food places within walking distance and a restaurant on premise but for variety you need to drive ekes where.

Room Tip: If you want a great view ask for rooms in the tower building. Also ask for a corner suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Donna P
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Is it a Hyatt? No it isn`t. Hyatt hotels have a different standard. This hotel probably was good many years ago. But, the owners decided not to invest money on their property. So, although very well located by the sea it is an extremely old hotel. Nay, it is an ancient hotel. The rooms smell the last century. Few people in a huge property what makes it sad. On the other hand, everything is always closed. “ - Today is Monday? Oh, unfortunately the snack bar is closed. And so it will be closed on Tuesday, Wednesday…..” In the reception there is always a huge queue with many people complaining about something. And, as far as I listened, employees are not able to solve any problems. The worst problem probably is the internet. I was informed that in public areas there was free internet. But, the public areas where internet is free are always closed in the evening. So, you have to pay. In simply and taut words: never again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank luizpaulin
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Could not locate two bedroom suites when arranging the trip so opted for a suite at Hyatt. Lovely room with 2 double beds and a reading chair with views of Marina & small balcony plus another TV whole room with L shaped sofa's. Meant the kids could go to sleep in bedroom & parents slip into lounge. Perfect. Bathroom good but needs extractor for moisture. Water bottles are not complementary but no notice provided (only found out on check out and lady waived the charged). Upon arrival I said "self park" but they moved the car regardless when there was no need (to "earn" a top maybe?). Didn't happen. The Einstein Bros Hutt handy for coffee & casual breakfast. Pools are small but heated in winter and slides brilliant for kids of all ages. Service was good all round. Ample parking out front of suites. Walk over bridge to Mission Beach restaurants and Boardwalk. Walk to Sea World is a bit further than you think but comfortable. This is a good hotel & brilliant location incl. Access to freeways.

Stayed: January 2014