“So-So”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #163 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 13 October 2008

When I stayed here I chatted with an employee and got some inside info....The vending machines were all removed so you have to go to the gift shop and pay $2.50 for a soda or even more for room service. The restaurant (awful) does not use their a/c and always pretend that it "just went out". They do not let you into your rooms even a minute before 4:00 because it is financially better for them (no electricity used ahead of time, you spend $ at the gift shop or restaurant- where they tell you to go while you wait for your room). I would not stay in the bungalows even if they were free of charge. Absolutely motel 6 and everything that implies. The non-tower rooms seem to belong to a different hotel. When my a/c would not work after 2 hours of trying the maintenance guy said he would just bring us a fan because the a/c s were old and didn't work all that well. Oh no he DIDN'T think I'd be paying big $$$ to use a house fan. We got a quick and free upgrade to a tower room and many apologies from a very helpful, friendly front desk person (Amanda).

The ugly :The fridges in both rooms barely worked, the carpets were stained, room service was totally inept both meals. You need to put personal items on a lounge chair by the pool at 6 or 7 or you will be sitting on the cement next to someone's chair. The cushions on the chairs are disgusting- sweaty, oily, bird poopy. $23 for parking is unreal in this area. Smokers paradise- people smoking all around pool and landscaped sitting areas.

The good: Best front desk service I have ever had, good valets, view of Sea World fireworks every night, kid's slide in pool (although many oiled up sun tanning adults liked to use it, I wish it was for kids only), view of marina from tower room, awesome landscaping outdoors. Great discounts when booking through the zoo or Sea World websites.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank byonjello

Reviewed 1 October 2008

My Husband and I stayed at the Hyatt though a Jetblue getaway package from 9/21-9/27,
I chose Hyatt because I have stayed at their hotels in Hawaii and was very impressed. Well...the Mission Bay hotel has some issues. The room was newly redecorated and had beautiful furniture and a very comfortable bed, but the rugs were stained (badly stained) as well as the balcony furniture. They do not have a coffee machine in the room, but you can request one and they will bring it and provide refills every day. The staff were VERY friendly and helpful. The pool area is nice, but there is no where to get a drink or a snack because the "swim" lounge is closed during the day. Ovcrall, I would not stay at this hotel again...I was very dissapointed about this Hyatt..

1  Thank Mottamopsie
Reviewed 29 September 2008

My wife, my brother and his family and my mother all stayed here for a long weekend. The hotel was fine, although they didn't have our rooms ready when we got there at 3:30pm and when we finally did get to the rooms, one had two queen beds rather than the king it was supposed to have.
The hotel managment was very nice overall. We talked to them about the queen vs. king bed issue and were able to get breakfast coupons for duration of our stay. Another small issue (room refrigerator didn't work) got us free valet parking.

The hotel is nice if perhaps aging a bit. All of us loved the pool though and the only complaint there was people coming down at 7:00am (or earlier?) and taking up all of the lounges. Since we were doing other tourist stuff most days (Seaworld, Wild Animal Park...etc) and only hit the pool in the late afternoon or evening it wasn't a problem except on our final day. I've seen alot of other hotels stopping this kind of behavior and specifically telling people if they're not using the area their towels...etc, will be removed. Apparently not at the Hyatt yet though.
With a decent sized group such as ours my brother and I agreed to suck up and split the cost of getting a cabana at the pool ($120/half day) and that was great and everyone had a good time.

Breakfast at the restaurant was good. At $25 per person I doubt we'd have eaten there more than once though if we hadn't had the free vouchers. My nephews barely nibble at breakfast so it definitely wouldn't have paid off for them and if you're more of a bagel and coffee person there are other options that are more reasonable.

Overall, nice hotel, beautiful location right on Mission Bay and walking distance to Sea World or other bay activities (jet skiis, fishing) resulted in a nice getaway.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank RSMGuy
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We just got back from a weekend trip to San Diego. We took our 5 year old son to Sea World and chose the Hyatt because of it's location. We were greeted with a smile and upgraded to an oceanview room with a balcony. The room is decent, small stains on carpet, cigarette holes in patio chairs, and makeup on curtains. No big deal. The view was beautiful, and my son could not get enough of the pool and waterslides. We only ate at the Swim resturant which was good, nothing to brag about. The staff are very friendly and provided great service. I think it's ridiculous to charge customers to park their car, but I'm from Montana and maybe that's a big city thing. We enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2008

The Good: The hotel staff was very pleasant, especially the Concierge staff. The beds were super comfortable.

The Bad: Where should I start? We booked a six day vacation package on Southwest Vacations. We knew that we were getting a standard room, but we had no idea what that meant. It meant that at a Hyatt Resort, you have no balcony.
You have no drawers to put your clothes in. You don't get basic amenities like shower caps and mouthwash. And you have to call maintenance several times to get your room up to speed. We had adjoining rooms. Both had shower problems (bad heads), light bulbs out, terribly stained carpet, and just a general shabbiness. There were no curtains over the blinds, so the room never got really dark. The cushions on the pool chaises were stained, some with fresh bird poop. There was not a place to get water at the pool, something we are accustomed to having.

The Ugly: See above.

We did attempt to get a comp upgrade to a better room since we had joined Hyatt Passport. That did not work. They did comp the parking for us, $18/self-park, and $23 valet.

We picked the Hyatt because of their reputation and brand. That won't happen again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank hmorgan13
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We booked this hotel through Priceline about three weeks before we left and were a little nervous after reading reviews on this site! I have to say that my husband and I were pleasantly suprised and wished we could have extended our stay. The staff was extremely friendly - always smiling and asking how we were doing while passing by. The pool was nice - not crowded at all and only a few kids. I think the people that commented earlier about all of the kids need to realize that they were going during the middle of summer vacation - of course there are going to be kids at the pool!! The room was spacious. Since we booked throuh Priceline, we aren't supposed to be able to chose the type of room we got. When we arrived at the hotel we asked about a king sized bed in the tower, but they stated that they wouldn't have one available for an hour or so. After our horrible flight, we decided to go with a room in the tower with queen beds that was free at the moment. They said they would move us the following day but we decided the queen was perfectly fine and stayed there for the remainder of our trip. Although we didn't see the bungalow rooms, I would have to assume that the tower rooms are the ones to book. They have balconies that have nice seating if you have time to enoy that. We didn't eat at any of the restaraunts due to the reviews. but that wasn't an issue - there are a TON of places to eat around the hotel. This hotel is in a great location...just about ten minutes from downtown and the airport. Also, here is another tip if you are feeling risky - the hotel charges $18 for parking. We talked to one of the valet parking attendents and he said that although there is a sign on the street that says "No Parking" from about 2 a.m. - 4 a.m., he had never heard of anyone being ticketed. Well, we decided to try our luck. We stayed five nights and didn't have one problem. It seems a little ridiculour to pay for parking when it's not in the middle of downtown. Hope this review helps!

2  Thank PricelineNegotiator
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I was so excited to stay in a 3 star hotel as part of a time share deal for free! Thank god I didn't have to pay for it! it LOOKS pretty and fancy, but there were some problems which I would hate to have if I had to pay over $200 a nite. For example, self parking for $18 is really insane! And $10 a nite for internet is steep. It quickly adds up and for a young family(just hubby and me) it can turn a peaceful vacation/getaway to stress and frustration. We were bummed that there was no coffee maker. I wasn't feeling well and I wanted some tea, but we had no mircowave or coffee maker so tea was not a good idea. Also room service ends at 10 pm so I was just bummed out! I can get a coffee maker, fridge, mircowave, free parking, AND free internet at other places for pretty inexpensive (ala ramanda). The room and space looks nice, but my husband was frustrated because nothing is close by....the gym...any restaurants,etc. The gym is located way off to a far corner.

Seriously, if I had to pay, I want to feel comfortable, relaxed....we felt really nickle and dimed.
The mini fridge didnt work and they told us to leave the door open...what's the point of the cupboard? The lady when we called it in seemed annoyed with us. She told us that it doesnt relly keep things cold....and a fridge is for what pupose then? They sent a man to fix it and basically told us our fridge was too full(drinks- including MILK and some fruit), to keep the doors of the cupboard open and it's not suppose to keep things cold. WTH?!
Also the bathroom and toletries were not what I told 3 stars was going to be like. It's small and not very pretty.

I am pretty disappointed over all....there's many pluses, but I think if you're going to put that much money into a room...I expected more.

2  Thank pasadenerbee