“Great Mojitos!!!”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #158 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 14 November 2008

I thought this was a nice hotel. The lobby is beautiful, and it looks out into the garden which is so peaceful and tropical. It has 4 "huts" and a fireplace, it was so nice to go down there and relax in evening. The rooms are nice (love the IPod compatible radio), except the cigarette burn on the chair outside. We didn't really care though, not like we made good use of that. The location was great. Right next to Pacific Beach, lots of kids, but hey, who cares! The watersides were fun as well :)

They also make killer mojito's, worth every penny ($12 a pop)!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank fankindagirl
Write a ReviewReviews (3,567)

Reviewed 12 November 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my son/husband because I am looking to book a conference in the San Diego area next year. The group rate offered for this property is more than reasonable. WIth these new refurbishments, I would say this is a quality hotel. The rooms, grounds, restaurants, pools, were very impressive! They have an Einsteins bagels and great, fully loaded market. She did give us one of the best views in the house, which added to the ambiance. Sorry to say it was too cold to use the water slides and pools, though we gave it a try. They also have little fire pits where families can make some smores. Plus, the conference facilities were wonderful. I think this would make a great event location if groups are looking to stay at a reasonably priced property, in a great location and also keep their spouses/families happy if they want to tag along. Honestly, I am shocked this place doesn't get higher reviews. Also, I appreciate having a fridge in the room.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicmacco
Reviewed 23 October 2008

We took our grandkids to Sea World for a long weekend. We got in on a Sunshine for Sale "sale" so our third night was free. The location is perfect, the marina beautiful, the grounds were lush, beautiful and very well kept. Check-in was easy and swift and the staff was very friendly and helpful. They upgraded us to a Jr. Suite on the corner of the tower with our grandkids (and their mom) in the room next door. I had heard alot about the remodel of this hotel. Altho, our room was large and we had a great view of Sea World fireworks (about 10 pm) and the marina from our balcony, the room was not very comfortable or inviting. The decor is very contemporary and stark. The beds were adequate, but not "heavenly". For a 4 star they should upgrade their linens and at least have fitted sheets not the old fashioned flat . They stopped furnishing a coffee maker in room so they can charge $14 a pot of starbucks from room service!! They do furnish a small fridge, which was convenient for snacks for the kids. Also, they do inform you about the parking charge upon check in which is $20 per day for self park, which is pretty high. The pools were wonderful, room service food not too good. Over all, not bad, but if they hadn't been on sale, not sure worth the expense.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We were there the week before Labor Day.

Pros: Location, marina views, the wait staff at the pool bar were very accommodating.

Cons:

Too many:
We stayed in the most expensive (Marina Suits). The rooms claimed to have been recently renovated and that seemed to be half true. New and old furniture were mixed together over a much stained rug. Rust stains in the shower were pretty gross. Coupled with almost no water pressure - I longed to take a real shower as soon as we left. The terrace was only big enough for one person to sit down and the chairs on the terrace were disgustingly dirty.

The pool, while great for young kids did not have enough chairs and we found ourselves spending very little time there. Forget any adult relaxing by the pool.

The staff at the full service restaurant was uneven. I hosted a small lunch party for 20 or so and the staff was fine (maybe even too friendly). At a breakfast buffet, I had to chase the waiter down and beg to be served (just coffee – which came as we were leaving).

We stayed at the Hilton on the bay two years ago and it was a much nicer place - smaller, cleaner, better pool scene.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank redfarb
Reviewed 13 October 2008

When I stayed here I chatted with an employee and got some inside info....The vending machines were all removed so you have to go to the gift shop and pay $2.50 for a soda or even more for room service. The restaurant (awful) does not use their a/c and always pretend that it "just went out". They do not let you into your rooms even a minute before 4:00 because it is financially better for them (no electricity used ahead of time, you spend $ at the gift shop or restaurant- where they tell you to go while you wait for your room). I would not stay in the bungalows even if they were free of charge. Absolutely motel 6 and everything that implies. The non-tower rooms seem to belong to a different hotel. When my a/c would not work after 2 hours of trying the maintenance guy said he would just bring us a fan because the a/c s were old and didn't work all that well. Oh no he DIDN'T think I'd be paying big $$$ to use a house fan. We got a quick and free upgrade to a tower room and many apologies from a very helpful, friendly front desk person (Amanda).

The ugly :The fridges in both rooms barely worked, the carpets were stained, room service was totally inept both meals. You need to put personal items on a lounge chair by the pool at 6 or 7 or you will be sitting on the cement next to someone's chair. The cushions on the chairs are disgusting- sweaty, oily, bird poopy. $23 for parking is unreal in this area. Smokers paradise- people smoking all around pool and landscaped sitting areas.

The good: Best front desk service I have ever had, good valets, view of Sea World fireworks every night, kid's slide in pool (although many oiled up sun tanning adults liked to use it, I wish it was for kids only), view of marina from tower room, awesome landscaping outdoors. Great discounts when booking through the zoo or Sea World websites.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank byonjello
Reviewed 1 October 2008

My Husband and I stayed at the Hyatt though a Jetblue getaway package from 9/21-9/27,
I chose Hyatt because I have stayed at their hotels in Hawaii and was very impressed. Well...the Mission Bay hotel has some issues. The room was newly redecorated and had beautiful furniture and a very comfortable bed, but the rugs were stained (badly stained) as well as the balcony furniture. They do not have a coffee machine in the room, but you can request one and they will bring it and provide refills every day. The staff were VERY friendly and helpful. The pool area is nice, but there is no where to get a drink or a snack because the "swim" lounge is closed during the day. Ovcrall, I would not stay at this hotel again...I was very dissapointed about this Hyatt..

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mottamopsie
Reviewed 29 September 2008

My wife, my brother and his family and my mother all stayed here for a long weekend. The hotel was fine, although they didn't have our rooms ready when we got there at 3:30pm and when we finally did get to the rooms, one had two queen beds rather than the king it was supposed to have.
The hotel managment was very nice overall. We talked to them about the queen vs. king bed issue and were able to get breakfast coupons for duration of our stay. Another small issue (room refrigerator didn't work) got us free valet parking.

The hotel is nice if perhaps aging a bit. All of us loved the pool though and the only complaint there was people coming down at 7:00am (or earlier?) and taking up all of the lounges. Since we were doing other tourist stuff most days (Seaworld, Wild Animal Park...etc) and only hit the pool in the late afternoon or evening it wasn't a problem except on our final day. I've seen alot of other hotels stopping this kind of behavior and specifically telling people if they're not using the area their towels...etc, will be removed. Apparently not at the Hyatt yet though.
With a decent sized group such as ours my brother and I agreed to suck up and split the cost of getting a cabana at the pool ($120/half day) and that was great and everyone had a good time.

Breakfast at the restaurant was good. At $25 per person I doubt we'd have eaten there more than once though if we hadn't had the free vouchers. My nephews barely nibble at breakfast so it definitely wouldn't have paid off for them and if you're more of a bagel and coffee person there are other options that are more reasonable.

Overall, nice hotel, beautiful location right on Mission Bay and walking distance to Sea World or other bay activities (jet skiis, fishing) resulted in a nice getaway.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family