“Personal Experience Very Good”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #161 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our personal experience at this hotel was very good. We stayed in a tower room that looked out onto the Pacific and overlooked the pool. The room was relatively new and large enough for our family of four.

We stayed with three other families - one of them received a full refund on their waterfront suite due to multiple issues, one of them didn't have a room ready when they checked in after 4 p.m., and one of them had a leak in their room from the air conditioner. As evidenced by the full refund one family received, the hotel obviously works hard to correct issues and fortunately, their experience was very different from our experience.

All of the staff was very friendly. The hotel is very kids friendly with a coloring table in the lobby and a scavenger hunt my kids enjoyed culminating in a stuffed manta ray as a prize for both of them, and fire pits for roasting marshmallows (in overpriced s'mores kits). Although I've been on better water slides, I don't think I've ever been on a better water slide at a random hotel in a non-ultra resort locale (e.g., Hawaii). The kids all loved it.

Finally, it was nice to use the water "TaxSEA" with the private Sea World entrance although one important note - if you're using a Go San Diego card, they'll need to walk you to the front entrance so it won't save all that much time (the concierge led us to believe that the Go San Diego card would be fine to use at the back entrance).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,567)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Its very nice,although not as clean as Hyatts go. I would go there again next time with the grand kids. Take some earplugs if you are going to have a room near the pool. Its a really great pool. jUst needs little TLC.

Room Tip: LOOKS OVER THE BAY> very nice. Not by the pool if you want quite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cherlyn33
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This Hotel boasts one of the friendliest staff I have had the pleasure of encountering. The Hotel sits right on the Marina and is right off of Market St and 2 blocks from famed 5th ave GASLAMP district. If you stay in the club grand rooms, you get to visit the club grand floor located on the 33rd FLR (VIP/card acess) for breakfast, snacks during the day and also dessert in the evening.

WOULD DEF STAY HERE AGAIN!

Room Tip: Lobby is kind of loud all the time, but we were there during COMICCON, which we did not attend
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paresh G
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We spent 5 days at the Hyatt and would absolutely return. The best feature is that you are very close to SeaWorld, Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. They have a very nice but also crowded pool area that sits very close to the bay. The chairs go fast and the pool is not heated, it was quite chilly even in July. They also have two great water slides that kids of all ages can use.

I was actually a bit skeptical after reading some harsh reviews about the rooms and service. Check in was very slow but its summer in SD let's face it they are busy. While the rooms weren't updated last week I wouldn't call them dated either. My daughter loved the tower rooms and watched the SeaWorld fireworks every night.

Room Tip: Tower room facing SeaWorld
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I'll start by saying the location of this hotel is what I liked best-beautiful area. Everything else-not so much! When booking a waterfront suite, I expect I will be able to see the waterfront. Arriving in the suite, the first thing I noticed was the Einstein Brothers building directly obstructing the view of the waterfront. When asked about switching suites, the front desk said nothing was available except an ADA suite that happened to be right next door. We decided to take that suite because at least the view was only partially obstructed. Upon entering the suite, I noticed a nice air freshener type smell, only to discover that it was covering up the musty smell in the living room part of the suite that I smelled a few minutes later.That smell seemed to waft through the A/C vent when the fan was on. I also noticed the furniture was dated and the couch cushions had stains on them. Being an ADA suite, there was no bathtub, just a shower, which was not a problem, except that water got all over the bathroom floor, and we had to wipe it up with towels every time someone took a shower. There must be a better solution! Also the pocket door was very loud every time it was opened or closed.
The internet service was practically non-existent and many of the TV channels could hardly be seen as they were so fuzzy. To top it all off, the parking fee and resort fee are ridiculous for what the price of the room is. I would definitely stay elsewhere the next time I visit San Diego.

Room Tip: If staying in a suite, make sure you ask for one on the second or third floor, so your view is not o...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cheri G
Kendra S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Cheri G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your recent visit to our hotel. I have shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering. They will be conducting a thorough inspection of your guestroom to address any concerns and ensure everything is up to Hyatt standards.

Again, we truly appreciate your feedback and hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you expect from the Hyatt during your next stay in San Diego.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Terrible view of parking lot...for paying $400+ daily rate Room service is very slow...capet was dirty...my son crawled around and his knees and top of his feet were black when i picked him up...unacceptable

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is in a great area, and my first night there was great. On my second day my boyfriend and I went out for lunch, came back to change so we could go jet skiing the room had been cleaned by room services. Of course we left our phone, and extra cash in the room because, we didn't want to risk losing it in the water. Once we came back from jet skiiing, we notice our cell phones had been stolen and $300 in cash was taken from my purse. We immediately reported it, the security manager called us back the next day after he spoke with everyone that would have been in our room. No one confused to seeing or stealing the phones or money. The hotels claims to have no cameras, so they have no way of viewing who was actually in the room. The security manager apologized, and stated it was nothing he could do about the missing objects except place an insurance claim with the hotel. He stated that the hotel could not refund our money we paid for the room to compensate our loss because, it was against their insurance. So if staying here be sure to keep your things on you at all time because, they do steal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple