“Beautiful Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #158 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed at the Mission Bay Hyatt for three nights in late January. We had a lovely room overlooking the ocean..the view was spectacular! The fitness room was also lovely...overlooking the harbor. We found there seemed to be an excess of staff in the reception area..not quite sure what they were all doing. There was a charge of $10.00 for internet service which seemed excessive. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,605)

Reviewed 29 January 2009

This is my third visit to San Diego, two business and one vacation. this busness trip was for four nights.

This is a very nice hotel with beautiful flowers and plants in the courtyard. Great location. one mile from Mission beach. we asked for a "room with a view" and were given the seventh floor with a westerly view overlooking mission bay. We watched the trademarked southern California sunset every evening from our balcony. Even in January the weather was pleasant (high 60's). the room was clean, large with a sofa and a flat screen television.

Here's the kicker...absolutely no dresser to store your clothes. the only drawers were in the nightstand. The closet hanger rod was three feet off the ground in a very small closet. the clothes i hung up also laid on the ground. I actually lived out of my suitcase. with clothes packed for five days i could hang some but for my wife and i it was very inconvenient and led to very wrinkled clothes.

the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. the only thing keeping this review from being excellent was the clothing problem.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank David T
Reviewed 29 January 2009

They went over and above the call of duty believe me. I was in town for my oldests graduation and I had just flown in from Bangkok where I was helping out a bit the the disaster in Burma (aka Mayanmar) Without a word the desk offerend me a top floor upgrade. I didnt' say a thing about being a Jarhead but when I threw my military ID up on the counter for ID verification I was upgraded to a two room sweet right on the bay. I was then Lauded for my service to both my country and my family. (Bangkok and San Diego are quite a flight away from each other) The royal treatment didnt' stop there and the staff truly made me feel like a king. This establishment is a must stop for Military...and yes...flash the ID....unashamedly!!! Youve earned it!

Semper Fi

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank John F
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Really pretty, nice, clean hotel. But two warnings first:

1) The walls in the main tower are super-thin and it seems like the doors to the rooms are made out of lead. They slam closed (unless you are courteous enough to gently close them). You will hear every door slam on your floor, the floor above you, and the floor below you. Also, pray you are not next to the ice machine.

2) If you want a real "ocean view" make sure you are AT LEAST on the 10th floor in the main tower (there are 17 floors or so total). Ocean view rooms are even numbered. Odd numbered rooms look out over the parking lot side. I don't think there is much of a view there. Room numbers between 10-20 are better than 2-8. You'll have a better view. Views from our room were amazing. Sunsets were beautlful.

The lower rooms are right over the pool and are blocked partially by rooms across the way. Also, the noise from the pool bounces off your balcony and you can swear people are swimming right in your room. The higher the room, the better.

We stayed for a week and never ate at the hotel restaurant (Red Marlin). It just looked too expensive. There is an Einstein Bagels in the marina, but even that will cost you $20 for breakfast for 2.

Positives:

The main tower was very clean and even smelled "new". When we commented to the front desk that the pool noise was too much for our 9 month old son, we were upgraded to an end suite on a higher floor at no extra cost. I was very satisfied. Overall, the hotel staff was extremely friendly and professional. They gave some great restaurant recommendations as well.

Hotel location seemed pretty central to everything, but we had a rental car so that wasn't an issue. The hotel is located pretty much right across from Sea World. Short drives to Ocean Beach and Mission Beach. Downtown is a little further...maybe 8-10 minute drive. Overall, a really nice hotel. Just wish the walls were thicker and the doors were lighter.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank CrotonDave
Reviewed 18 December 2008

I Was on a 15 day trip from Vegas to Seattle, I found the hotel to be smart clean and friendly, I stayed for 2 nights and would certainly be happy to return in the future.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 14 December 2008

This is the oldest of the three full service Hyatt properties in San Diego; however, it is still the best all around. Great location, great views, great staff and clean rooms. The grounds are beautiful and best of all, there is a store on site if you forget some clothing articles.

This is definitely the place to stay when you play on Mission Bay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We chose this property for the convenience. Our family member was staying there with an out of town group and we wanted to have a mini family reunion. The staff was very friendly. The room was another matter. We were given a room in an older part of the hotel. It has been advertised that there has been a recent renovation. This room was missed. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom, though dated, was clean and supplied well. The carpet in the room was very badly stained. We had a king room which included sectional sofa seating. It was comfortable but musty and stained. The A/C had a constant drone which was annoying when trying to sleep. Also, the vent was inadequate to control the whole room temperature. As long as you sat on the sofa you were comfortable, but the bed was further back in the room and the temperature in that area was not controlled. It was sort of like having a room A/C unit for a very specific area. The second night, the guests (elephants) upstairs were evidently restless. There was much pacing and drawer slamming and furniture moving until about 2:30 AM. The room had an IPOD docking station which included an alarm clock. It was not evident to me how to dim the LED so the room was well lit like a night light until I figured out to get a couple of washcloths to put over it. The room included a refrigerator which was supposed to be the wet bar. There was a sign indicating that it was stocked with supplies and that the water was $4.95. The refrigerator contained only one can of Pepsi. I do not typically use the overpriced items. In this case, my concern it that I would be charged for the missing items. I had a glass of tap water on the bedside stand and when the housekeeper cleaned the room, the glass was put on a coaster rather than replacing the glass with a clean one. I thought that to be odd. Maybe it was for water conservation. Added to our room rate was a $20 parking fee per night. If you wanted Valet, it was $25. We knew about this in advance and chose the $20 option. When we returned from our day of touring, all the self parking was full due to some event taking place in the massive tent that has been raised in the parking lot. (Overflow?) We used the valet service and including the tips, spent a total of $51 to park for two nights. But, as I said, that was not a hidden charge. I never found an ice machine. There was no indication of one on the hotel map. Our family member was staying in a different building and said that there was one down the hall from the room. I tried to call the front desk but was put on hold and decided it was not that important. The food options are rather limited unless you have a car (we did). Within walking distance is an Einsteins which is a Starbucks kind of business but not Starbucks quality. They offered bagels and breakfast sandwiches that did not look very appealing. We chose to go to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. The breakfast buffet was $21.95 per person. It seemed to be the best deal on the menu. The food was attractively presented and there was a wide variety. They did serve Starbucks coffee though. The view of the bay was very nice. The wait staff was very attentive. I tried to use the in room check out on the TV. The site was either down or under construction. I am not totally sure. Mixed messages and I was unable to start over even though I turned off the TV. It kept defaulting to where I left off. i mentioned some of these issues upon checkout at the front desk. I received a friendly smile. We have stayed at Hyatt properties in the past. This one is not one of their crown jewel properties.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple