“Perfect location, great stay, in the heart of it all”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #24 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My sister and I came for a getaway and stayed at this beautiful hotel. So convenient. Staff was courteous and we were treated very well during out stay. We used the spa and had a great experience there, I highly recommend it! Our room faced Coronado and Seaport Village and was just a gorgeous view, especially at night. The room was a bit on the small side but probably average for a hotel room in the city, very well appointed, and I always appreciate decent water pressure when you're on the 31st floor! We stayed 5 nights and received complimentary wi-fi which was sincerely appreciated.

The big bonus of this hotel is location. We wanted to see as much as we could during our stay. Within walking distance is the heart of the Gaslamp District, USS Midway, Broadway Pier, Seaport Village, the trolley tour, bus stop, convention center, Petco Park. It was great to walk along the paths close to the hotel and have so many attractions close by. Hint: if you're going to La Jolla - skip the $100 taxi cab roundtrip and take the city bus for $5 during the weekend. Bus is lightly traveled and the route seemed to be very safe.

At the Hyatt, we had appetizers at Redfield's which was okay. Was as expected. We also ate at Sally's and while it was not outstanding, it had a great vibe, staff was attentive and had a nice menu. The business center came in handy several times to print out trolley tickets, bus routes, etc. Extended hours would also be helpful. The kiosks were also nice in other locations of the hotel to print out boarding passes. And another perk, considering the number of rooms at the hotel and being on one of the top floors, we hardly had to wait at all for an elevator and they were very fast. Kudos to the hotel for the that! Also the frig in the room was an added bonus, especially for an extended stay.

Next time I come back to San Diego I would definitely stay here. Our rate was comparable to similar hotels but I would say the location and the amenities and vibe give the Hyatt the edge. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor on the north tower for a great view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Reviewed 24 October 2011

I was at a 1-week convention with 300 others in my group at the hotel (there were 2 other conventions the same week). First the room, then the food.
My large comfortable room was everything I expected at a top high-rise convention hotel. It had great views, and as far as I could tell, all rooms have great views, either south bay, or north bay; a useful work desk with wired internet; comfortable bed; quiet air conditioning; windows that open; and a shower/tub plus a single sink in the bath. The only negative was the bottom sheet on the bed–it was too small to tuck in on the sides, and it did not even reach the bottom of the bed. Staff was very helpful, and check in and out was fast. Meeting rooms were comfortable, and computers and audio worked well.
Food for the meeting–snacks at coffee breaks plus lunch and one dinner was outstanding. It was the best convention food I have eaten in this country. Coffee was as good as Starbucks, fine pastries, delicious entries at lunch in a very nice area with views of the bay, and cookies in the afternoon, all served to more than 300. We took over Lael's Restaurant for dinner one night, and we all loved the food, including many attendees from Europe.

Room Tip: The Gaslamp Quarter near the hotel in downtown San Diego is over rated. Try to go to La Jolla, Del M...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
KSpitz, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear DrBob-cs,
Thank you for the nice review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your conference, accommodations and food and beverage while on property. I will be sure to pass along your nice comments to our Food and Beverage team.
I will also pass along your note to our Director of Housekeeping who will look into the fitted sheet issue you described as well.
We thank you for choosing the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego and hope to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

I was utterly impressed with this hotel overall and highly recommend it for any traveler.

FYI for business travelers, they have hard to find rates, especially for downtown San Diego. That was its first bonus point for me. I could not find rates like this at the Marriott, Hilton, or any other downtown hotel. I was told these rates are guaranteed at ANY Hyatt. Good to know.

Secondly, the rooms are sparkling clean, the beds are comfortable, the view was spectacular, I had no problems with the bathroom (everything worked fine for me), and I slept like a baby.

Although I did not manage to get to the pools, there are two, and there are also two hot tubs - both with amazing views of the bay. There's also a fire pit on level four, between the hot tubs, which is nice to sit at in the evening. The gym looked amazing and had numerous treadmills, stairmasters, ellipticals, free weights, and machines.

I was very impressed with the staff, all of whom were friendly and accomodating. Upon arrival in my room (after a long day of travel), I found that it smelled like smoke. When I called the front desk, I was immediately given another room with no problem. The second room was much better, and the staff called me to double check it was okay. Check out was painless and quick.

The location cannot be beat. The Manchester Grand Hyatt is seated at the bottom of downtown right next to Seaport Village. In fact, if you go out the back door of the hotel, you can immediately enter Seaport Village. You can easily walk to a number of popular areas in downtown. The hotel is only four blocks from the Gaslamp district and the USS Midway and 10 blocks from Little Italy and Petco Park. Because of this proximity, you have easy access to numerous restaurants, bars, and attractions.

There is an attached parking garage, which is also useful. It's very easy to get in and out of the garage, and the entrance to Interstate 5 is only 5-7 minutes away, depending on traffic.

I did take the opportunity to dine at both Sally's on the Water and the sports bar downstairs (Redfield's). The food was wonderful, but FYI, the prices are a little steep. Most of the time, my colleagues and I went out to eat. As there are many options in the immediate area, this was not a problem.

I will definitely be coming back to this hotel in the future!

Room Tip: Mention that you'd like a high floor room with at least a partial bay view. Even that is amazin...

Dear nvychk,
We sincerely appreciate the glowing review. We strive to provide the best in customer service and accommodations and are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and were able to take advantage of all this area has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to sunny San Diego, hopefully sooner than later!

Reviewed 24 October 2011

As a long time leisure and business traveler, this was by far one of the most disappointing experiences I've ever had at a hotel. I will never, ever stay here again.

After moving rooms the first night (because my first room was considered new in 1970 and even had a 1970 smell to go with it), I forgot my jewelry pouch in the first room. Less than 3 hours later, my pouch was returned by security with my (fake) diamond necklace and gold earrings missing. I reported it to 5 different staff members, had to repeat my story 5 times; at one point, a manager accused me of making up this story, "am I sure I packed these items?" Yes, I do remember what I pack, and as a 7+ year business traveler, you got me--I love to lie about stolen jewelry--not. They said they would do an 'internal investigation,' whatever that means.

Everything is overpriced. Valet parking=$36.00/day. Room service has a limited menu and expensive: 21% service charge and $3.50 delivery charge. Breakfast buffet; if it were not for our AAA rate, it would have been $30.00/per person.

Minus a few professional members of the staff, most here are unprofessional, insincere, and just don't really care about your experience. One night we ordered room service, and the staff member told us as he left our room to "call down as soon as we were done because they were low on tables." Um, what? We have to rush through our meal because this hotel does not have an adequate supply of service tables?

Unfortunately, this hotel takes advantage of conferences that are held here and the attendees of them. Please consider another hotel near the area; there are many options within walking distance, and you won't feel violated at the end of the day.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for room in Seaport Tower.
2  Thank JMB2003
KSpitz, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Dear JMB2003,
Thank you for your candid comments here on TripAdvisor. We pay very close attention to each and every review. On behalf of the Manchester Grand Hyatt, I apologize your stay with us was anything less than superb. Please know that I have shared your review with our Rooms Director and Food & Beverage Director so they can each look into the issues you described concerning each of their departments. I've also checked with our Rooms Director and he confirmed that the lost jewelry issue has been resolved. Again, I apologize for your recent stay. It is our number one goal to provide the absolute best in accommodations and service to all of our guests and am sorry this was not the case with your stay. You will be happy to learn that we are set to undergo a complete renovation starting in 2012, which will update and refresh each guest room. We are looking forward to these upgrades.
If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Downtown San Diego is a great place to vacation. And if you like to be able to walk around but still like to see the water, the Manchester Grand is a fabulous location!

The hotel is just a few blocks from bustling downtown and you can walk less than a block and be at the water.

The Manchester Grand is an enormous hotel with a couple of towers so it loses any sense of intimacy.

But the most disappointing part was the rooms themselves. They were definitely in need of a massive makeover. The bathrooms looked like something out of the 70's and in fact the bathroom floods a bit when the shower is on.

However, the rooms tend to be fairly inexpensive (compared to other hotels in the Gaslamp) so, if you don't plan to spend much time inside, it's not a bad option.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Alyssa P,
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the location of our hotel on the bay front near Gaslamp Quarter and Seaport Village.
I'm happy to report that our guestrooms, along with the rest of the hotel will undergo a renovation starting in 2012. We are very excited for these upgrades and hope you'll be back to experience the new look and feel soon!

Reviewed 19 October 2011

First of all, their breakfast buffet on the ground floor is out of this world. Yum! The location; AMAZING! Close to the gas lamp quarter and everything else! I loved absolutely everything about this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Poopooyay

Dear Poopooyay,
Thank you for the nice review here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! In regards to our extensive breakfast buffet at Lael's Restaurant, I will happily pass your nice comments along to our Chef!
Thank you and hope to see you back sooner than later!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Small rooms and everything is very expensive. Staff is rude at desk and restaurants. Marriott next door is much better.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jaymaxx

Dear Jaymaxx,
Thank you for your candid review. We monitor our reviews closely so we can keep an accurate pulse on our guests’ experiences with us. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Our associates strive to provide the best experiences for each and every guest through authentic hospitality and first-class accommodations and I apologize this was lacking in your case. Please feel free to reach out to me directly with more specifics from your stay so I know how to follow up with this internally to ensure we correct certain issues where need be. Again, we appreciate the feedback.

kristin.helms@hyatt.com