“Fantastic view from 38th floor, loved the Hyatt Gold Club!”

Ranked #24 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Loved our rooms 3839/3739. Gorgeous view of San Diego night and day.We loved the club class for breakfast and evening appy's.The view was stunning, fun to sit, have a drink ,a bite to eat....and check the internet.
The staff is world class, everyone so helpful, friendly and aware of who you are.
Gorgeous, grand entrance. Loved walking out the door and into Sea Port Village.
It was all good. We visit San Diego every few years, the Hyatt is our new personal favourite.Well done!

Room Tip: Beautiful view rooms 3839/3739
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
KHelms, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Laurie M,
Thank you for the glowing review here on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our accommodations and customer service throughout your stay. We'll look forward to welcoming you back to sunny San Diego upon your next return!

There are newer reviews for Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Hyatt used to be considered an higher quality brand, and their Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt are supposed to be the upscale version of their hotels. This stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt proved to be a disappointment for several reasons, though the hotel itself offers some nice features.

Public areas: Great location on the harbor next to Seaport Village, a shopping area with dining and small shops primarily directed toward tourist traffic. There is a nice bookstore, some art galleries, food stands and candy stores, as well as a number of shops selling gift items, clothing, souvenirs, and toys). There is also a beautifully restored carousel and horse drawn carriage rides that take you around area. The lobby of the hotel is vast, and both times I stayed at this Hyatt, filled with conventioneers. There are a few dining options but not enough for the size of the hotel, possibly because they expect visitors to dine in nearby restaurants on the harbor. Bars and lounge areas were frequently filled with business guests and convention goers. Also nearby: Convention center, Gaslamp quarter several blocks away, and Horton Plaza Shopping Center, several blocks away.

Dining: Lael's serves breakfast. Redfield's serves snack/quick fare. I have dining restrictions so found the menu to be very limited (hot wings, sliders, soup, salad, hot dogs, and sandwiches). Only one vegetarian option on the menu was a panini of mushroom, pepper, zucchini, hummus, and goat cheese for $14.

Sallys is the full service restaurant; however, it is only accessible by exiting the back of the hotel to the harbor. It has a beautiful view and my friends said their food was good. All the menu items included seafood, chicken or beef. There was not a single vegetarian option on the menu. For a hotel that has more than 1600 rooms, this seems to be very limiting to guests that don't eat meat.

Prices for entrees at Sallys start at $26 for a smoked chicken breast with spinach. Most entrees were $32 - $39. Appetizers, sides, run $8 - $16; Sushi $8 - $14 for rolls. Reservations suggested. Inside atmosphere is dark, romantic, and not very family oriented, although outside seating is available on the patio. The day we went the patio was closed (odd for a Saturday night when the hotel was full).

Rooms: Standard business type hotel rooms included a flat paneled TV, desk, wifi for a fee, views of either the city or the harbor. Corner rooms have large windows along each side showing expansive views of the harbor but are smaller than other rooms. Regular size tubs, standard amenities, no robe in room even though I was told I was upgraded due to my Platinum status in Hyatt's loyalty program. The biggest problem I had was with the thin walls. The room next door had a child that was up all night crying, possibly because she was sick. This is understandable. I have been through it myself; however, Hyatt should spend some money on better insulating the rooms from noise. On checkout the clerk said that Hyatt had just started offering a quiet floor that guests can request; however, there is nothing on their website that shows this as an option.

Service: Good service from reception and bell staff. Did not order room service. Restaurant service was good.

Parking: In excess of $30 a night.

All in all a good convention hotel with standard Hyatt rooms. There is nothing really "grand" about the Grand Hyatt other than its size. It has a great location but probably overpriced for what it offers with rooms during my stay beginning at around $250 a night not including taxes and fees.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
KHelms, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear emrtravel,
We appreciate the detailed review here on TripAdvisor after your recent experience staying at our hotel. We evaluate every review and take action where needed, making sure the appropriate managers are aware of particular reviews relating to their department, so again, we appreciate the feedback.
I did want to clarify a couple of things: We are beginning a complete guest room, suite and grand club renovation beginning in May 2012. The hotel will remain open and operating during these upgrades as we're only taking out a few floors at a time, renovating and then putting them back into use. The new look and feel will not only update our rooms with a fresh look and feel, but also will better insulate the rooms themselves, taking care of any noise issues. We also do provide sleep aid kits for our light sleepers (available upon request). I have shared your vegetarian dish comments with our Executive Chef so he can follow up internally about menu planning in our restaurants. We do offer healthy, vegetarian and gluten free options on our new In Room Dining Menus. In addition, Sally's provides a nightly value Prix-Fixe menu which includes an appetizer, entree and dessert all for $35 per person. The menu changes weekly based upon seasonal ingredients.
Our overnight self-parking is $26/night which we find to be competitive with similar garages in the downtown San Diego area. We do offer a "Park and Surf" package which is inclusive of Wi-Fi and self-parking throughout the length of your stay.
If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

The room isnt fancy, but clean and comfortable. Nice to be able to open the window for fresh air. Comfy bed and pillows. Fairly quiet heat/air conditioning. Never heard any neighbors - so good much appreciated quiet nights. Pretty good lighting in the bathroom for putting on make up. Bath shows a bit of wear, but very clean. Good water pressure in the shower, always hot. Nice to have a fridge without mini bar nonsense. Full length mirror is appreciated. The staff were all friendly and helpful, especially concierge staff. Had a room on the 26th floor with an outstanding view over the Bay. Gorgeous. Hotel is good location to the Convention Center and activities on the board walk. Seaport Village right outside the door.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear cheryl200,
Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the guestroom windows that open to allow in fresh sea breezes, the mini-fridges, our helpful Concierge associates and overall convenient location of our hotel. I'm also happy to report that our rooms will undergo a complete renovation beginning in May of this year. This will add a nice new look and feel to only complement the existing great views from each guest room. We hope you'll be back to experience these upgrades firsthand.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel with very attentive staff. I was here during a conference being held at the Convention Center next door. A full service hotel, with several restuarants, coffee and gift shops, etc. I really enjoyed the parking as it was easy and I beleive a city parking deck which was connected to the building--which meant fees were very reasonable and not the usual major profit center hotels usually leverage parking to be. Views are spectacular. The location is absolutely perfect, right off the Gas Lamp district and right next to the Convention Center, as well as on the Bay Front. This is a totally first class affair that just about anyone should be pleased with.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear Bigger32,
Thank you for the great feedback from your recent stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. We are happy to hear you found our location convenient, bay front in the heart of San Diego, steps to the Convention Center and the exciting nightlife of the Gaslamp Quarter. We also are glad to hear you found our attached parking garage convenient. We do hope you'll be back to visit us again, hopefully sooner than later. Until then, take care!

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Having just spent 3 nights at the Manchester Hyatt with a group of injured and wheelchair bound british servicemen who had been competing in military para-olympic trials, I can thoughly recommend the hotel. We were a group of 15, all with differing needs and the hotel could not do enough for us. The Disabled Rooms were what was required, with walk in showers and everything else required. The hotel although next to the conference area of the city catered for the traveller as well and was only a 10 min sedate walk from the gas lamp area of the City. A special thank you to the front desk staff especially Tina, who played a "blinder" in sorting all our needs out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Bay
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Cooky3541,
We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time here at the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego. We strive to provide authentic hospitality to each and every guest so we are happy to hear of your recent experience. I will definitely share your nice comments about Tina at our front desk with our Front Office Manager. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Great room. Week long business event--the front desk staff were friendly and accommodating of my disability. The room & closet were FULLY wheelchair accessible, even the window drapes had an electric push button open/close. Roll-in shower and a built in shower chair. Plenty of room in Lael’s restaurant and Sally’s Seafood restaurant for maneuvering

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Jsam M,
Thank you for the great review and we are happy to hear you enjoyed yourself during the CSUN conference. We offer 63 accessible guest rooms and are thrilled to hear you found these useful during your stay. We hope to welcome you back to sunny San Diego and the Manchester Grand Hyatt again next year.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

My assistant made last minute reservation here as Hiltons were booked.

Rate was $350+ but very close to my client's office. It was fine for one night stay, and Hyatts can be decent overall for a business trip of one overnight.

Arrived from Washington DC, checked in around 9pm, friendly check in statf ; hotel looked grand in faux Spanish style.

I was offered free night at Hotel del Coronado, and ride to/from as they were pretty booked, and just a taxi ride and about 15 minutes across the water.

But it made no sense, when I could walk tomorrow to my client for 9am meeting.

Not sure why they offer this to a person staying one night, obviously on biz.

In any case, I got my room and I found a left over room service tray left outside my door! Ta.....aacky! What is this?

Checked the left over slip on tray, and it was a ticket for my room from like 8pm.
At first I thought maybe neighbor had been the tacky one and left across his room, but no, it had to be that the room was vacated at 8pm (saw on slip the room service timing) , certainly strange check out time?

So entered the room ,and I had already noticed the 1960's pseudo traditional hallways decor, and found same dated decor in room; plus stains on carpet (that they tried to clean but didn't work) . I complained to front desk evening manager, who was apologetic, and was aware of the room age, etc. and stains.

In any case, he cut rate in half. But mentioned, as they always do, a "million x " renovation in progress (I didnt see any signs about it).

Hyatt and similar hotels should know that they need to charge less for old rooms and alert customers of their situation.

They should pay me next time to stay here! Never again I will stay at a Hyatt, and you shouldn't either. Especially this one.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank NSCDC
KHelms, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear NSCDC,
On behalf of the Manchester Grand Hyatt, I'd like to apologize for your recent stay with us. At Hyatt, it is our constant, top priority to provide first rate accommodations and impeccable, authentic hospitality so I'm sorry to learn of your experience. We pay very close attention to all of our online and offline reviews so we can keep a pulse of our guests’ experience and improve where need be, so we appreciate the helpful comments.
I would like to confirm that yes; we are renovating all guestrooms, suites and Grand Club beginning in May 2012. The new look and feel will incorporate classic lines with subtle nods to the rich maritime history in San Diego, including landmarks like the Coronado Bridge and Gaslamp Quarter. This fresh new look and feel will only add to the existing bay and city views seen through floor-to-ceiling windows that open to allow in fresh ocean breezes. Each guestrooms is also currently stocked with Portico bath products, our signature Grand beds and 46" HD flat screen TV's.
I have shared your In Room Dining comments with our Food and Beverage Director who will follow up internally to address the pick-up times of trays being left in the hallways.
I’d also like to point out some of our existing amenities, including a 4th floor pool deck overlooking the San Diego bay with a fire pit perfect for roasting s'mores, a "backyard" for children to play and use during the summer months as a part of Camp Hyatt, 4 sports courts including tennis, basketball, volleyball and shuffleboard and an adults only Kin Oasis pool adjacent to our full service Kin Spa & Salon. We also provide a complementary 24-hour StayFit gym with sweeping views of the San Diego Bay. With 3 lounges, 2 full service restaurants and 2 grab-'n-go style eateries, we also provide a variety of food and beverage options for our guests.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any further questions and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Manchester Grand Hyatt