“Great on the surface, but...”

Ranked #31 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was at the Manchester Grand for a conference and stayed there as well. I thought the Manchester Grand was beautiful. The lobby is lovely, as are the bars. The conference spaces were great, too.

I only have a couple of complaints. One, I do not like that the towers are so far apart. Of course you have to take different elevators, but it was just a bit of a nuisance if you knew someone in another tower. My other complaint was that the advertised queen beds were actually twins. This wouldn't be such an issue if you were staying with one other person, but for someone who booked a room with two queens for four people, it was a tight squeeze.

I would stay at the Manchester Grand again, as it has ideal location in San Diego. However, I might modify my accommodations and go with the larger beds next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MeghanAnnRose
Write a ReviewReviews (7,817)

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed several nights. Staff was helpful and friendly. Room was clean but the decor was a liitle dated. However they are renovating the rooms starting this Spring.They have updated the TVs since our prior visits to large flat screens.
Room had a good view of the harbor and downtown toward the ballpark.
It is in a great location so we didn't need a car.About a 15 to 20 minute walk to the Gaslamp and Petco. Same amount of time to walk to the ferry to Coronado and the Midway. We used cabs to get to the Zoo and Balboa Park.
Our package included the full buffet for breakfast which was very good.We wouldn't have paid out of pocket for it every morning but would have been worh the splurge one time during the stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view. Ask for Harbor Tower to be closer to the 3rd floor pool area Thir...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I booked a grand club room at he Manchester.
We were given first a king room with a very stuffy/smelly carpet and far from the club (level 22) where you have to o back to ground level, change lift and go back o level 32! After complaining on the smell, they easily changed us room but give us only a disable access one because they had nothing else...despite me reserving 5 months ! This room was fine anyway, so we stayed in this one. However we booked grand club and you have to know that the room is nothing special: just a standard room giving access to a club. Generally the club was "okay". We booked club following our experience at the hyatt grand cypress in Orlando... In San Diego the grand club standard was lower than in Orlando (no hot food served neither on breakfast nor evening).
The soaps provided don't have a pleasant smell...so bring yours! The bed sheet didn't fit the king size bed, so we kept waking up on the mattress!
Generally disappointing standard.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pascal G
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We arrived quite tired around 9:00 in the evening from the east coast, and the front desk found our reservations, (We had booked two rooms.) They had not have the rooms we booked and woman at the desk had to look for rooms for us. I always find this amazing. I have never worked in the hotel industry, so I don't understand why if you have a reservation (And if you don't cancel, they will charge you!), but they don't have rooms set aside for you. The desk clerk did give us free wireless for our stay because check in took so long. In 2012 I will never give a hotel an excellent rating if they charge for wireless (even if I'm not paying for it). That's like asking if we want hot and cold running water. The clerk gave us a choice of rooms. Of course they did not have connecting rooms for our family. If you've booked two rooms under the same reservation, why would you not want the rooms to be near each other?! We took the rooms that were at least on the same floor. The first night was fine. The second night we discover our room was part of a VIP suite! The party was inches from us in the connecting room. As it did not proceed past 10:30, we did not call security. The next morning the breakfast reception in the connecting lounge area started at 5:45am! Yikes! Now we do call the front desk and security. Of course they can move us, but not until later in the day, but who wants to pack up all their things in the middle of their vacation, but we did it and they moved us. Now we're in a room where we have to take an elevator to the lobby and a different set to get to our son's room. Unacceptable, so they move us again. The front desk did comp buffet breakfasts for our party for the length of our stay. If only the woman who checked us in had explained about the VIP suite, I would have chosen the other offered room. Poor service. Oh, and I found trash in the middle of the floor of the second room. It had obviously not been vacuumed.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
KHelms, eMarketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear SugarCreek,
I'm very sorry to learn of your recent experience with us, however, we do appreciate you sharing your comments as these always help us to better ourselves. Please know I have shared this feedback with our Rooms Executive who will follow up internally. I have also shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping so he can look into the trash that was present in your second room. We do our very best to accommodate all room requests and connecting room requests, and apologize we were not able to accommodate your request this time.
Again, I do apologize for the changing of rooms and hope you were able to enjoy the breakfast buffets provided each morning. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for one night on April 15th..Was my first stay in a Hyatt hotel, and I can't say that this hotel make me fall in love with the chain!
At first, we were on the 27th floor with a GREAT view of downtown San Diego and the water not that far from there..Our room was really clean and we enjoy our view! As a corporate travel agent, I have a lot of client looking for hotel like this so I will suggest it without any problem!!
We were happy that there was a self-parking, since a lot of hotel on this trip were valet only..and cost double the price this hotel is charging!!
Great stay, ask for a high floor room if you want a really nice view..(or in the Harbor Tower)
We had a great service by the staff at this hotel, even a little more when you are a travel agent and also a Gold Passeport member!! :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear XxcorinnexX,
Thank you for the nice review! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time with us here in San Diego, especially the bay views from your room, service from our staff and the convenience of our self-parking garage. We would be delighted if you recommended us to your clients who are looking for a waterfront hotel in the heart of San Diego, we appreciate the nice compliment! We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Once again I stayed at this great hotel. The room itself was a bit dated, unlike my previous stay. What makes this place great is the staff. From check in, house keeping, restaurant staff to operators, everyone is very professional and went out of their way to make the stay wonderful. I had just stayed here last month for business and went back for a mini vacation. I will be returning again soon. My only complaint once again is the lack of free wi-fi. They should have areas of the hotel where you can get free wi-fi to check emails, etc...

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Lawin4cr,
We appreciate your patronage and thank you for the nice review. It is the biggest compliment of all to see guests return year after year, so I'm happy to learn you enjoyed your stay...again!
I will be sure to share your nice comments with our staff, as we consistently aim to provide the very best in authentic hospitality. I also wanted to inform you that we are currently undergoing a room renovation including all guest rooms, suits and Grand Club. The new look and feel will incorporate classic lines and subtle nods to the rich maritime history of San Diego. We hope to welcome you back yet again to experience these upgrades firsthand!

Kristin helms

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed two days in March for a corporate event. The room was OK but didn't reflect the price they charge, the halls could use a revamp as well as the carpeting on the room itself.
Be careful with the tempting water bottle they leave by the big screen LCD TV, it has a nice paper tag that says "Refreshing" and you may miss the $5 price tag written in a considerably smaller type below it.
On the other hand the front desk people were the most helpful i've ever seen, the halls and the lobby architecture is quite impressive.
The hotel is at walking distance of Gaslamp District and USS Midway. I recommend visiting the bar at the 40th just for the awesome city views that its windows give you, be warned that drinks up there can be quite expensive...

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Gerardo A ,
Thank you for your comments, we value all feedback from our guests. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location in close proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter and USS Midway and the sweeping bay and city views 40 floor up at Top of the Hyatt. I'm happy to inform you that we are currently updating all of our guest rooms, suites and Grand Club with a complete renovation (including guestroom hallways/carpets). I hope you'll back again soon to see these upgrades firsthand! Until then, take care.