“Great!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“Great!”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Stay in this hotel for a week because of a conference co-located.

Check-in:
It's efficient and the staff there is professional and friendly. Check-out is also efficient and perfect. Efficient, correct bill, clear statement.

Room:
Assigned a mid-level room at Habor Tower with a perfect view on the Habor and the hotel's swimming pool (at 4/F). The room is large, comfortable, and with enough and appropriate lightings. Internet speed is fast and I like the High-Definition TV a lot!

Sports Facilitates:
A very good 24/7 Stay-Fitness Gym with lots of cardiac and weighing equipments. There are also two very good swimming pools that one can relax and enjoy the day.

Dining:
I like the breakfast served by Lael's Restaurant a lot! The buffer breakfast is excellent and of reasonable price. The Staff there is also very friendly and chatty - but not noisy.

Further, the drink and dinner at Sally's Seafood on the Water are also perfect. I especially like the bread they serve prior to drink/course. They are very tasty!

If one have time, one should try to have a drink at Top of the Hyatt at 40/F in Habor Tower. You can enjoy a spectacular view on San Diego Bay and the City. The environment there is perfect and I like their signature drink - Bubbles on the top - so much :)

Further, the drink at the Grand Lobby Bar is also perfect. Though it has a shorter opening hour that Top of the Hyatt, it is more convenient 'cause it is located at the lobby of the Habor Tower. The drink menu here is different from the Top of the Hyatt but there are still lots of choices for one to order.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that the Chicken Salad Wrap served by Redfield's Deli is also very tasty! I like it a lot!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,511)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burbank, California
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here on the Sunday night after Comic Con. Not a bad hotel, just nearing time for a facelift. The reception area has the grandiose feel and high ceilings I have come to expect from the larger Hyatt properties, which is nice. Check in was fast and efficient, and the concierge was always very helpful (we asked him for restaurant recommendations a couple of times, plus he was able to provide an anti-bacterial wipe and band aid when my 3-year old daughter skinned her knee). The room attendants and bellmen were always very friendly when we saw them in the corridors and elevators. We had great service from the poolside servers as well. So absolutely no complaints on the customer service. The main pool area is breezy, overlooks the harbor, but the pool is not heated and the hot tubs were more like tepid tubs (there is another heated lap pool and hot tub off the spa, for adults only, which we could see from our room). Our double room (overlooking the harbor, on the side facing the Marriott) was average but comfortable. But the carpets are looking very tired (almost shaggy), the furniture is worn, and the overall decor feels a bit dated. Hyatt is going to have to do some major refurbishments soon to keep up with the swanky boutique hotels in the area. Before long it may become a huge eyesore, because it is a large hotel that you can't miss. I suspect some of the rooms may already be in the process of being updated because from the main pool area it looked as if some of the mid-floors in the Harbor Tower were closed for construction. We thought valet parking was pretty exorbitant ($36/day) so my husband dropped us at the front, he parked in the lot and it wasn't far to walk at all. I would go back there again based on the fun my daughter had at the main pool (deepest part is 4.5 feet), the customer service, and convenient distance from the harbor and Seaview Village, but there are certainly more modern hotels in the area.

1 Thank BusyMom73
Ventura, California
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Great 5 star hotel! My room was nice and clean. and I had great views of the marina and boats down below. I will stay here again when I am in San Diego.

Room Tip: Higher floors have amazing views
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of June early July.

First our room wasn't ready, then when we finally got the key the room stank of stale cigarettes, despite it being a 'non smoking' room. We called to tell them and they sent up housekeeping with a disinfectant spray of some kind. He sprayed the carpets, making no difference to the smell but leaving wet carpets! Throughout our stay we had to leave the window open as the smell when re-entering the room was awful.

Rooms are average at best with smaller than average queen beds, which were very soft - so if the other person in the bed moved I felt as though I was on a water bed. Lighting in the bathroom is dim. No china cups, only paper (what's that about?).

The view from the room, was lovely and there was a very good HD TV - but that's the only positives I can find.

During our stay, DIRECTLY ABOVE US, there were major renovations. And I mean MAJOR. One morning was the 4th July, a supposed holiday! The noise was deafening and banging was shaking the whole room. I rang concierge only to be told they would ring me back..... No call back.

The desk staff were snooty and unhelpful from the off (although the bell boys were all very cheery and helpful).

Along with this Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt at Anaheim we can only think that standards for our once preferred hotel have dropped. Being Gold Members doesn't differentiate you from other guests it seems so I can't see the point of the point system IMO.

Internet is charged per device, per day, which is ludicrous and greedy in this day and age. Especially when smaller hotels offer for free.

Saving grace of the hotel is that the Seaport Village situated in front of the hotel is delightful with some great places to eat and little shops to investigate - however there are lots of hotels along the fronts so it isn't exclusive.

Unless the renovations are finished and the hotel offers better service then don't bother as you will come away disappointed like us.

1 Thank WelshbabeSingapore
KHelms, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear WelshbabeSingapore,
Thank you for your candid remarks here on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear you found the service from our Bellmen friendly, the bay and city views from your guestroom satisfactory along with the new 46" HDTV's. I am sorry to learn about the rest of your stay with us. It is our number one goal to provide authentic hospitality to each and every guest that steps through our doors, so I apologize that you received anything less. We thank you for sharing your comments as this helps us to improve where needed. Rest assured I have shared your feedback with our Director of Engineering who is overseeing the rooms renovation, and our Front Office Manager who will follow up with our front office staff. We do find our internet charges to be competitive with neighboring hotels in the downtown San Diego area. We have also recently upgraded our Wi-Fi bandwidth which provides a flawless connection throughout the entire hotel. We do offer a Park and Surf package which includes Wi-Fi and self-parking throughout the length of your stay, so perhaps this package would be of interest to you should you choose to return. Again, I apologize for your recent experience but do thank you for bringing these issues to our attention so we can rectify internally.

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The service is very good. The breakfast buffet is delicious, but pricy. Great location as it is located right near the Seaport Village and is only a 10 minute walk from the USS Midway. Had a nice view of the pool and the Seaport Village. Rooms typically are not ready until 3 or 4pm, but there is lots to do in the area to kill the time.

Room Tip: The walls are thin though in the rooms and we could hear everything in the neighbouring rooms and in...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
El Centro CA
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We have stayed here many times. Excellent luxurious place right on the harbor. Outstanding breakfast buffet, often included with your room rate. Sally's excellent for lunch and dinner, leaning to mostly seafood for dinner. Great view of the harbor from many rooms. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: I like the corner rooms in the west tower.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear farmernorm,
Thank you for sharing your great experience at our hotel. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed fresh seafood at our Sally's Seafood on the Water and extensive breakfast buffet at Lael's Restaurant. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Room:
To start, I have read the reviews on this site talking about the outdated rooms. I stayed in the Seaport Tower, Grand Club room, and the room did not look outdated at all. I may have stayed in one of the renovated rooms, not sure. Great size, and the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the harbor (the USS Midway was right in my line of sight) was a great touch. Beds were very comfortable. The tall ceilings were a great feature, underrated. With the tall ceilings, the room did not give off the claustrophobic or small feeling that most other hotel rooms can give.

The room, however, did not have a mini-fridge or mini-bar.

Service:
Outstanding. Valet service, door men, front desk, room service all provided top notch service. Room service was very personable and pleasant, and the food was terrific. I recommend trying out their pizza. We checked in on a Sunday, which apparently was the last day of Comic-Con, and we could not tell that they were full because the service was still personable and accommodating.

Prices:
Internet is pricey, but that seems par for the course with highly-rated hotels. We stayed at the Marriott in La Jolla for our first night, and they provided free high-speed internet, so it is possible.

Room service pricing is high. 8 bucks for two scoops of ice-cream? 14 bucks for a chicken salad? 5 bucks for a can of soda?

Yes valet service is expensive, but once again, that is standard for this kind of hotel.

Location:
Cannot beat it. Right by the USS Midway, the boardwalk, convention center, PetCo Park, and of course the Gaslamp. It is about five minutes from the Coronado Bridge. It is right by the light-rail, so if you are a light sleeper I recommend not having the window open at night! We live in a major city and we are used to those kinds of noises, but I could see how someone who is coming from the suburbs or a quiet city would find it distracting.

Other features:
The main pool is not very large, but there is a good amount of seating and the views from it (being on the fourth level) is spectacular. The pool-side restaurant was great. There is an adult pool, Kin Oasis, on the third level that has a larger pool and great lounging areas. If a pool is a major factor in your decision-making process, there are hotels in the area with larger ones (Marina Marriott has the best), but it's San Diego, there are beaches everywhere!

We checked in at noon on a Sunday, and there was no issue with an early check-in.

Bottom line:
Great hotel. I typically like to stay in different hotels when I return to a vacation location, but I will definitely keep the Hyatt in mind when I come back to San Diego. Superb stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views. Give them a call when reserving to find out which rooms have been...
1 Thank jdecks
Dear jdecks,
Thank you for your thorough review after you recent stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I'd like to invite you to stay connected with us on our facebook page to see upcoming special offers on San Diego stays. I'm also happy to report that the train crossing is currently receiving updates so trains will no longer have to honk their horns while crossing.
Also, another tip for future stays: you can roast marshmallows on our fire pit on the 4th floor pool deck!

Look forward to welcoming you back again soon, hopefully sooner than later!