“Great hotel and spectacular view, lots of air and boat traffic”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #24 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Great hotel and spectacular view, lots of air and boat traffic”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The hotel itself is quite good, with spotless and modern rooms and, dare I say, a majestic entrance and lobby.

Bed was comfy, but the shower head is at chest level, and I'm 6' 0". I liked being reminded of Europe, but didn't like ducking.

Staff were pinnacle of professionalism, from room service (fast!) to bellhops (super friendly and efficient).

Location is great, with the conference center, Midway museum, and lots of restaurants and bars all within walking distance, as well as a Ralph's grocery/supermarket, which is great for stocking the mini-fridge with half-n-half (for the decent in-room coffee), yogurt, fruit (and, yes, wine) for much cheaper than the hotel market in the lobby (which should be open 24/7 and is not).

The "rooftop" bar in one of the towers was a little disappointing, as it was fully indoors and actually a little warm and stuffy, I was hoping for something open and refreshing. Bartender was great, however

The views of the bay from the high floors are incredible, with the airport clearly visible, helicopters in formation constantly coming and going from the naval base, all kinds of boat traffic, from cruise ships to what looked like the special forces' inflatables, and more than 1 aircraft carrier.

The fact that the windows open is wonderful, but it does let in the dull roar of commercial jet takeoffs, and you can hear the helis coming long before you see them. I certainly didn't mind, and with the windows closed it's almost unnoticeable, but, FYI, the view comes with a sonic accompaniment.

I'd definitely stay on business here again, but the Marriott next door also looked pretty decent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,497)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Came to DT SD for a little weekend staycay.... & my husband and I decided to come back to this hotel. We've stayed here once before pre-update to the rooms (they were nice then too). But for this trip, let me start at the beginning... the staff is excellent. Super friendly and made us comfortable right away. Offered us water! Our room was updated (they did a fantastic job!!!) and we had a phenomenal view. Although, I don't think there is a bad view in the house. Best beds, pillows, everything EVER! Pretty much all of downtown San Diego is walkable from here and there is a trolley stop right outside (Seaport Village stop). There's the old Police Station that has been vacant forever; has now been updated to a little shopping/restaurants space. It's great! Good shops and good restaurants... definitely go check this out. There is also the ferry stop to Coronado literally right outside the back of the hotel. Close distance to the Convention Center, Petco Park, and the Midway too. Seaport Village is next door. If you've never been to San Diego before, then what the heck; go check it out, but don't waste too much time there... There is so many great places around downtown for food/shopping. Considering I'm from San Diego, and thankfully we have a lot of nice hotels/restaurants.shops.... this place is impressive.

Room Tip: No bad view in the house. Obviously, the higher in the building, the better.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LO_SD
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in San Diego and I have to say, they pretty much always tend to be nice. This hotel is no exception.

The room was nice and clean. I always inspect my mattresses for bed bugs and my mattresses here were particularly new and clean. There was a lot going on in the hotel at the time and it felt alive, but not hectic. The fitness center is great.

I didn't really have a meal on the property but I did stop by the gift shop for a smart water and luna bar, which cost me $14 (!!) so I wasn't impressed with that, but at least they had smart water and luna bars, along with a nice array of other snacks.

The other SD hotels I can remember staying at recently include the Hotel Del Coronado (favorite), Hyatt Mission Bay (also nice), Hilton San Diego Bayfront (very nice) and Sheraton Carlsbad (pretty nice). Perhaps you can't go wrong in San Diego? :-)

Muncy PA
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed four nights while I attended a conference on site. The conference facilities are stunning. The lobby area is gorgeous. The rooms are a bit small, but are clean and modern, and we liked the fact that we could open the window for fresh air. The location of this hotel is AMAZING. You are close to the wharf/maritime activities, close to the airport, not far from the different neighborhoods, and can walk to breakfast, lunch, or dinner anywhere. We liked our stay and would come back, as long as someone else is paying...

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors for wonderful views.
Green Features: I wasn't sure I encountered any evidence of being green.
1 Thank HayleyBMuncyPA
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I are currently staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt and could not ask for more. The staff here is extremely helpful and polite, the hotel is very beautiful, it is spotless and very well kept and the views from our 36th floor room are breathtaking. This is my first time in the San Diego and I feel like I can see most of it from our window. Also the Top of the Hyatt restaurant is has great views and very nice wait staff. I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for the first time and I usually stay out at the beach. I arrived early and they allowed me to check in early. Great location downtown near the USS Midway. Go to the lounge at night on the 40th floor for an incredible view! They have a nice fully stocked fitness center looking out at the water. They even have running routes mapped out for runners. Best of all your less than 10 minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room in the tower facing the USS Midway.
Green Features: They have recycling bins in the rooms and the high pressure low volume shower heads.
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here for couple of days for a conference, it was the an excellent stay i was amazed in the location and the window;s view. The room are wide, clean and perfectly arranged , the room service is great. This hotel is a walking distance from San Diego convention center, downtown and from many other entertainments.
My friends who stayed in other hotels were jealous from me.
I liked too much and hopefully will return back with my family this time