“excellent stay”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #31 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Went on a memory making trip with my teenage granddaughter and had an amazing time. Armando at the front desk gave us an upgrade to a suite, he was extremely nice. Upon entering the rooms we were speechless. I have always stayed in nice hotels but this was unbelievable. Huge windows floor to ceiling in each of the rooms, so much space! We even had our own separate bathrooms. Hotel is beautiful with several restaurants to choose from. We ate at Redfields and had great meals. If I had to give one negative it was that the servers there at the restaurant were not as friendly as most places but it could of just been a bad day for them. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly at the hotel and service was excellent. Right outside was Seaport Village and Cheesecake Factory was across the street if you didn't want to eat right at the hotel. We did not bring a car so relied on the cab services. It worked out fine as we also went to the zoo and sea world. Would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again, in fact looking forward to it. Was on the 30th floor and had such a wonderful view of the bay. Saw a great fireworks show across the bay one night. Excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
DeNea C, Customer Service Team at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

Wow we are so happy to hear that you and your granddaughter had a lovely stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor for all to see. We are thrilled to find you thought our staff was friendly and gave great service although it does sadden us that you didn’t feel the same about the servers at our restaurants. We will share this with our Food and Beverage Managers to be sure that all employees at each of our restaurants offer the highest quality service possible. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us while visiting San Diego. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,827)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a great hotel. I had stayed here eight years ago and enjoyed it immensely: impressive giant lobby, fast elevators, clean and decent rooms, and the best breakfast buffet in town. To my delight, the rooms had all been upgraded - I loved the glass table and chairs at my wall window overlooking the city. And. The hotel still has the best breakfast buffet!

The pool was surprisingly calm and quiet during my stay. No mean feat considering it was full of Comic Con attendees. Unfortunately, I did notice several broken deck chairs by the end of my stay. Pros, one of the pool ladder steps was also broken with no sign or warning.

Aside from that, I could not have been more pleased with the smiles and friendliness of the staff from top to bottom. I don't know what it as but the effect made me feel like I was a welcome guest in a first class resort. It's a terrific hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We are overjoyed to hear that you had a great time during your stay over Comic Con weekend. It means so much to our staff that you were pleased with the hotel and their services. We also would like to thank you for bringing up the broken stair step in the pool and chairs in the pool area. We have since had these fixed and appreciate you taking the time to let us know so we can improve on the appearance and safety of our hotel.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have you back soon in beautiful San Diego.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed with Manchester Grand Hyatt for a business trip and thought it was a great place. The appearance and lobby was very impressive to me. The room was bright, clean and had a great first impression walking into the room. Didn't like that room service only went until midnight. Close to the near by park for exploring new shops and restaurants. Starbucks was near by so I was able to walk over there several mornings. My room faced the courtyard/pool view and was a little odd to be able to see into the rooms in the opposite tower day/night. Although had a water view and was certainly great to see everything going on. The top of the Hyatt bar was amazing! Certainly would return if in San Diego.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
DeNea C, Customer Service Team at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Hi Eric,
Thank you for your kind review. It’s so great to hear that you enjoyed the appearance of our hotel and the room you stayed in. We will share your thought about room service with our Food and Beverage department to see what possibilities there might be for future in having a later room service available. What is great about the location of the hotel is there are plenty of restaurants in the area to choose from when hankering for a late night snack and Top of the Hyatt is a great spot for light fare too. Our hotel room windows are slightly tinted for privacy and to offer a bit of a shield from the blazing sun as well. For future stays, ask for a bay or city view to enjoy the view.
Thank you for choosing us, Eric. We hope to welcome you back to sunny San Diego again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Upon arrival at this hotel with my two minor children, the experience was terrible. I had booked two adjoining rooms - enough beds so everyone could sleep comfortably. We had booked this trip to get their minds off the death of their grandfather and the imminent funeral. I booked four nights and their father was to join us for the last two. I checked in about 12:30 and our rooms were not ready - 4 PM is check-in time so to be expected. Although, if you arrive early, I would expect they could allocate rooms much easier.

Around 1:30 I received a text our first room was ready. At 3:30 I received a text our other room was ready. We then found our way back to the hotel. Upon arrival, they tried to check us in rooms down the hall from each other rather than adjoining. This is simply unsafe with two minors - maybe illegal. Unacceptable none the less. After much "discussion" and the involvement of the Hotel General Manager, someone came up the idea to "upgrade" us to a Conference Suite with adjoining room. The Conference Suite has no beds. Their "solution" was a pull out couch and a roll-away. Further, the room obviously was rarely used as many things did not work - like the shower head. No safe. No hot water. Pull-out was in terrible shape..... We essentially ended up with a standard room with two double beds, one bath, an extra toilet and a large conference table! No one slept well here, very uncomfortable.

Our flight leaves tonight at 6 PM and I just called down to see if we could get late check out. No, of course not, they are at "100%" occupancy. I pointed out to the front desk "manager" that they are advertising availability on the internet of the very conference suite we occupy - not one but two of them. She was very snippy. I guess I could "elevate" the issue again, but it gets very old. If you are looking for reliable reservations and a mature, accurate, front desk and service experience, I would look further. Too bad, as the hotel has a nice location.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KLO165

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your family’s loss and that you had a bad experience while checking in and out of our hotel. Because check out is at 12:00 PM, it can difficult to have every room cleaned and ready for the next guest before 4:00 PM. We take reviews seriously and will be sharing your experience with our Front Office Manager and Reservations to find better ways to accommodate our guests in this situation and to ensure that our staff is polite and tentative to guests needs. We understand that you are not pleased with the service and hope that you accept our deepest apologies. Thank again for your review.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family of 5 recently stayed here and loved every minute of our stay! We got two adjoining rooms for added space, but the rooms were a good size, modern, gorgeous decor and huge bathrooms! Views were awesome! We all loved the pool, hot tubs and the kids enjoyed the games area. The pool attendants were excellent and even remembered our names the next day which was a nice touch. The pool deck at night time was a lot of fun - they were showing kids movies the night we arrived and even had beds set up to snuggle in! And making s'mores at the fire pit is a must! The location of this hotel is great - close to the seaport village, USS Midway, Gaslamp and Convention Center. We had breakfast at Lael's twice and can honestly say it is probably one of the best breakfast buffets we have ever had. So much to choose from - waffle bar, omelette station, eggs, bacon etc, cereals, breads, muffins...even freshly squeezed watermelon juice! Very yummy! The one thing that we noticed was that access from the main lobby to the pool deck and all the room floors was not restricted by key card, so essentially anyone could wander around. This was surprising given the high level of security experienced in other hotels and the fact that this is a major hotel in SD. Could be concerning for guest and employee safety (especially housekeeping staff). Despite this, we would definitely stay here again and cannot wait to plan our next trip!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wanderlust927

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback as it is very valuable to us when making improvements. We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed our hotel and restaurant. With regards to your concerns with security, we have a full security staff, camera system and each and every employee plays a part in this as well. This is a valid concern and we will be sharing this with hotel security to see what other steps we can take to make our guests feel safe. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have stayed at the Hyatt many times. It is always very pleasant. Fabulous location, nice pool, and the proximity to the Gas Lamp District is excellent. The staff has always been helpful and courteous. The rooms very clean and the views across the bay are terrific. I highly recommend this hotel if you are planning a stay in San Diego.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hi Sean,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. It means a lot to us that you were pleased with the staff and hotel as a whole. Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel during your trip to San Diego and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Manchester Grand Hyatt far exceeded my expectations. I was staying with my family of four (including an infant) and we all could fit comfortably into the stylish, well-appointed rooms.

What a perfect location! Close to shopping, the water, restaurants, museums, the train. And if you have to be coming for San Diego ComicCon, which we were, or another convention there are hardly any hotels closer to the convention center.

The pool was great (although the splurge for the bungalow wasn't really worth it because it turned out to be an overcast day with plenty of free chairs open.) Room service was timely and tasty although the kids menu was trying to be too healthy for it's own good.

I would definitely put this hotel at the top of my list when I return to SD.

Room Tip: The view from rooms on high floors are incredible.