“Is This "Grand Hyatt" Grand”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #25 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oceanside, California
“Is This "Grand Hyatt" Grand”
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I stayed here last weekend on a Friday and Saturday night with my brother who came from SF with a group for the Padres Giants series. They stayed at the next door Marriott.

I read the reviews and did not know what to expect as there were so many.
We checked early 1:30 pm no problem.

From the get go there did not seem to be any problem but me at first.
I forgot to request a smoking room and we had to switch. The front desk switched us to a smoking room and said someone would meet us at the new room in the opposite tower a good walk.

However after a 15 minute wait at the door of the new room I went down to the front desk and got the keys myself. As I got back to the new room the newbi asst. mgr. was leaving.
When I went inside my brother told me that the newbi had let him into our new room but then when my brother asked him for a the keys he had a blank look and said sorry and left.

Not inspiring,and as I think what was he smoking.

I then went to the main pool on the 4th floor a great location. I was asked 10 times in 3 hours if I wanted a drink by the pool waitress. I saw adults and kids and conventioneers or seminar people having a good time in the water, restaurant/bar area that has a great view of the San Diego Bay.

My only complaint was that the Hot Tub was 104f a bit too hot. However the company was great.

Went to the game slept great and I did not notice bed linens as a problem.

We came back the next afternoon after a day ball game and hit the 3rd floor pool that was for adults. Very relaxing with a pool bar. Hot tub was perfect at 101f for me.
we had some drinks in the sports bar in the north tower and went to Seaport Village for dinner a short walk away. Then back to room.

At about 12:00am the room next to us started a party that went on until the wee hours and I could hear it. Before I went to sleep after reading a bit, I dipped into my travel bag and brought out my old fashioned anti-noise weapon to combat this aural onslaught: Ear Plugs-"Don't ever stay in a hotel without them." You can buy the foam ones that mold to your ear canal at all the drug stores and most are rated for commercial use like snoring, now cheaply.
The next morning it was a easy in room check out and then bailing my car out of parking.

Overall my only complaints are the price for valet parking of $34 a day and the distance from the bar to the nearest mens room.

From what I saw and from other complaints like the newbi without the keys, I know that this area and this hotel always has a high front of the house staff turnover with lots of new employees so there are bound to be problems as locating clean rooms as the previous poster noted. I hope they contact Hyatt Corporate directly for a full refund.

Other than that it was not that bad; The cleaning staff and room maids were the best representatives for the hotel that I saw. If i needed anything on the cart for my room all I had to do was ask.
Yes it needs some minor upgrading.
Yes Management, Corporate and Hyatt Franchising/ Training needs to help train the front of the house staff better.

But for the rest of complaints I have read on this board it seems there are more complaniers.
Come on people when you stay away from home it is different. There could be noise in a hotel, late. When you call ahead for a request ask for confirmation in a email/text/letter with your confirmation number and the name of the person you talked to.

I have alway found that if there is there is a problem with the room contact the manager first, and if the problem continues let him know you will go up the line if the problem is not resolved.

Always remember you as the customer, have the power when you are there. As after you leave you you can only complain here.

In full disclosure I got this Hotel on PriceLine for $65 a night.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank gmcwalker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,511)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 September 2010

First night returned to room and found the bathroom raining. I'll post the video which will detail the issue. After several requests they moved me to another smaller room.

• Stayed September 2010
Westlake, Ohio
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We recently stayed at the Manchester Hyatt for a week over Labor Day weekend to celebrate our 1st anniversary. For the most part our stay was pleasant. However, for the cost, the rooms are still outdated and the upgraded "bay view" was overrated and not really worth the extra money. The parking is also steep at $24 a day. What you basically are paying for at this hotel is LOCATION, that's it. I wish they would have used the money they spent on the lavish lobby and used that to upgrade the guest rooms, bathrooms, etc.
Now for the real reason i am writing. Let it be known that this trip was prepaid for thru Expedia on a separate credit card. However, when checking in I gave the person at the front desk my credit/bank card for what he said was for "incidentals." Anyway, after about an hour after checking out i receive a call from one of my friends who is a bank manager. He informs me that i have 7 separate pending holds from the Hyatt totalling $1,477.52. And because of these holds, and since i was out of town and hadn't looked at my account on-line, i had overdrawn my account! I was outraged. I immediately called the Hyatt while i was at the airport and spent over a half hour on the phone. They credited me the $144 it cost for my parking that week for my inconvenience. I told her i wanted to then speak to a manager so she threw me in a voicemail. It is now 4 days later and i am still waiting to hear back for an explanation on how they are allowed to do this. This practice should be illegal and is completely unacceptable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
KSpitz, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Management Note:

This issue has been resovled directly with the guest and all issues previously noted have been addressed and reversed. The guest is highly satisfied with the resolution and follow through.

Best Regards,
The Team at the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I had called the hotel after making the reservation with priceline to confirm that we would be able to get a king bed. When we checked in, they said they had no king beds available. They gave us our keys and we went up to our room. We quickly noticed that some things were off. There was a newspaper on the back of the toilet, one of glasses had water in it, there was a wet towel on the back of the door and there was trash in the trashcans. We called down to the front desk to let them know our room wasn't clean. They said they would give us a new room which was a king. We went down and got the new keys and went up to our new room. This room was in worse shape than the previous. They pillows were all over the floor with no pillowcases, there was pee on the toilet seat, and everything was strewn about the room. I called the front desk for a second time. They said they were out of rooms so they'd have to send someone up to clean the room. We didn't end up getting in our room until 10:30 that night. The next morning, the phone rang. It was the front desk. They let us know that there was a flood near our room and we needed to switch rooms for a third time. They brought us up new keys. When we tried them in our new room they didn't work. We didn't get the room figured out and the correct keys until noon. We lost plenty of vacation time messing around with dirty rooms and broken keys. We were very unhappy with the entire experience. We had stayed at this hotel before and we happy to stay at it again but now we never wish to stay there again. When I called the Hyatt to explain about our terrible service in their "4 star" hotel, they offered a $30 gift card. That is certainly not enough to make me ever want to go back.

1 Thank sicilysgirl
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 September 2010

The Management has been responding to reviews on TripAdvisor for MONTHS saying "the TV's will be replaced next month." So... is it next month yet? When are you REALLY going to get your act together and get the renovations done?

I booked a trip banking on the renovations you said you would have done by now, and they weren't. Totally unsatisfactory.

1 Thank password423
KSpitz, Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this review, 13 September 2010
Dear password423,
The new installment of TVs is, in fact, happening as we speak. Because we have 1,625 guest rooms we do have to make these installations in waves, so all rooms will not be updated at the same time. The new installment of TVs is projected to be complete in all guest rooms by the end of November 2010.
I invite you to contact me directly should you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Kristin Spitz
Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Guests of the Kin Spa at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego need to know that between Memorial Day and Labor Day, the hotel converts the spa pool to an adult bar/lounge with very loud music and smokers. Access to the pool is locked from inside the spa during this summer period. On the weekends, the pool becomes a popular mega-party scene that invades the serenity of the spa environment. We were informed that the pool area converts back to a spa-only pool after Labor Day. If you are looking for a serene environment for a relaxing massage, you may not find what you seek on a summer weekend at the Kin Spa.

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Honestly, I read the reviews before I stayed at the Manchester and was concerned about my upcoming stay. But, the moment I walked into the Manchester all of my concerns were gone. ALL staff was extremely helpful and kind. My room was perfect - clean and decorated fine - who cares if there was no flat screen TV - we are in San Deigo, why watch TV??? I would definately stay there again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business