I stayed here last weekend on a Friday and Saturday night with my brother who came from SF with a group for the Padres Giants series. They stayed at the next door Marriott.
I read the reviews and did not know what to expect as there were so many.
We checked early 1:30 pm no problem.
From the get go there did not seem to be any problem but me at first.
I forgot to request a smoking room and we had to switch. The front desk switched us to a smoking room and said someone would meet us at the new room in the opposite tower a good walk.
However after a 15 minute wait at the door of the new room I went down to the front desk and got the keys myself. As I got back to the new room the newbi asst. mgr. was leaving.
When I went inside my brother told me that the newbi had let him into our new room but then when my brother asked him for a the keys he had a blank look and said sorry and left.
Not inspiring,and as I think what was he smoking.
I then went to the main pool on the 4th floor a great location. I was asked 10 times in 3 hours if I wanted a drink by the pool waitress. I saw adults and kids and conventioneers or seminar people having a good time in the water, restaurant/bar area that has a great view of the San Diego Bay.
My only complaint was that the Hot Tub was 104f a bit too hot. However the company was great.
Went to the game slept great and I did not notice bed linens as a problem.
We came back the next afternoon after a day ball game and hit the 3rd floor pool that was for adults. Very relaxing with a pool bar. Hot tub was perfect at 101f for me.
we had some drinks in the sports bar in the north tower and went to Seaport Village for dinner a short walk away. Then back to room.
At about 12:00am the room next to us started a party that went on until the wee hours and I could hear it. Before I went to sleep after reading a bit, I dipped into my travel bag and brought out my old fashioned anti-noise weapon to combat this aural onslaught: Ear Plugs-"Don't ever stay in a hotel without them." You can buy the foam ones that mold to your ear canal at all the drug stores and most are rated for commercial use like snoring, now cheaply.
The next morning it was a easy in room check out and then bailing my car out of parking.
Overall my only complaints are the price for valet parking of $34 a day and the distance from the bar to the nearest mens room.
From what I saw and from other complaints like the newbi without the keys, I know that this area and this hotel always has a high front of the house staff turnover with lots of new employees so there are bound to be problems as locating clean rooms as the previous poster noted. I hope they contact Hyatt Corporate directly for a full refund.
Other than that it was not that bad; The cleaning staff and room maids were the best representatives for the hotel that I saw. If i needed anything on the cart for my room all I had to do was ask.
Yes it needs some minor upgrading.
Yes Management, Corporate and Hyatt Franchising/ Training needs to help train the front of the house staff better.
But for the rest of complaints I have read on this board it seems there are more complaniers.
Come on people when you stay away from home it is different. There could be noise in a hotel, late. When you call ahead for a request ask for confirmation in a email/text/letter with your confirmation number and the name of the person you talked to.
I have alway found that if there is there is a problem with the room contact the manager first, and if the problem continues let him know you will go up the line if the problem is not resolved.
Always remember you as the customer, have the power when you are there. As after you leave you you can only complain here.
In full disclosure I got this Hotel on PriceLine for $65 a night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under new ownership. The Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego is the ultimate waterfront urban hotel and spa and tallest waterfront building on the West Coast rising high above magnificent San Diego Bay. Panoramic bay and city views welcome you in all of our 1628 newly renovated guestrooms including 76 suites. A 25,000 sq/ft roof top pool deck overlooks San Diego Bay and has 2-whirl pools, a pool bar, cabanas, fire pit and stage area. The Grand lobby is filled with marble, brass, dark stained woods and several grand paintings all lit naturally by 3 stories of windows, which look out over a massive 5 lane porte cochere giving the guest a sense of arrival not seen outside of Las Vegas. The hotel has two marina-view restaurants, a full service Marilyn Monroe Spa and Salon, a sky lounge, a lobby bar, coffee house, a deli and an upscale lounge/restaurant featuring specialty martinis, mojitos and California cuisine. The hotel has over 130,000 sq/ft of meeting space, featuring a 34,000 sq/ft exhibit hall, a 30,000 & 25,000 sq/ft ballrooms next to each other, a 10,000 sq/ft Jr Ballroom and 41 meeting rooms and 45 conference suites. We hope to welcome you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego Hotel San Diego
- Hyatt San Diego
- San Diego Hyatt
- Manchester Hyatt San Diego
- Grand Hyatt San Diego