“A pleasant surprise!”

Kings Inn San Diego
Ranked #26 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It was great. I am usually a budget traveler. This room was cheaper than Motel 6 in the same area. The rooms were recently renovated. They smelled fresh (no smoke smell), and had windows in both the front and back of the unit. The bed was king size and there was also a flatscreen TV with a refrigerator. Full size bathtub and very good shower pressure. As far as size goes, I would say it was twice as large as a Motel 6 room. The staff was very friendly, and they have two restaurants on site; one for breakfast and the other for dinner (Mexican food). Most of the guests were families. It was very quiet and I felt very comfortable.

Room Tip: I stayed on the back right side of the property. Behind me was a cliff. It was very quiet there...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We are glad you found a value friendly rate and enjoyed our hotel accommodations more than you experience elsewhere. The fact that all our rooms are nonsmoking helps with the challenge of smoky rooms for sure. It is also nice to see your room was quiet and that you felt secure here. We are in our busy season with lots of guests and activities happening. We hope to see you again the next time you visit San Diego.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We went to the Kings Inn June 2014 for our regional convention in San Diego and want to comment on what a great value this place is. The staff is friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us, the pool is fantastic, and the rooms are nice. Even though they are in the middle of remodeling, they were clean and nice. Also the rooms have a refrigerator which really helps when you're bringing your lunch everyday. Two thumbs up. :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you very much for your two thumbs up review. We were happy to be a host hotel for your conference and enjoyed showcasing our new rooms for the attendees that stayed with us. We hope that you will consider us for any visits to San Diego in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were in San Diego for a convention this past week. We really thought the staff was friendly and informative. For the price it was a great place to stay. They have not completely finished the renovations but found the room freshly painted and the bed wasn't too bad. The room was very clean. Hope they have the coffee makers in the room next time. We will probably stay here in the future. Thank you.

Room Tip: No elevator to second floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at Kings Inn and for your review. We are nearly done with renovations in rooms. By July they should also have coffeemakers in each room along with the compact refrigerators. We are happy you found the room comfortable and the service friendly. And we hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have been staying at the Kings Inn for about 20+ years. I really liked the remodel that you have done in the room. The room was clean as always. The front desk personnel were helpful and pleasant as always.

Room Tip: For me all the rooms are good. We stayed in a first floor room and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

It is the return of guests like yourself that make us most excited about sharing the many improvements at Kings Inn. Thank you for returning year after year. We have much more in store for our hotel including lobby and restaurant remodels in the fall and a fitness room and new exterior paint in the winter. We look forward to seeing you again! Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I needed a place to stay that was reasonably priced and within reasonable distance to the airport for my last day in SD. Its a very low key, "mom & pop" type of establishment. Also SUPER dated but they had a post stating they were making upgrades. They were very nice. I needed to drop my luggage before check in so we can spend they day at SD Zoo and they stored it right behind the counter. The room was clean but small. They had a pool that I noticed a lot of other guests enjoying. They have a mexican restaurant that was also incredibly dated but the food was decent. There are way better Mexican joints in SD though but I appreciated the convenience.

I left early in the morning so, we didn't get to try the waffle place that other reviewers raved about. Overall, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed a lengthier stay here but for those overnighters or those of you truly just in need of a place to sleep because your day is filled with other things in the city, then I recommend this for others...you could put out 20-50 dollars more for something better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We appreciate your review and your stay at Kings Inn. We agree that we are not good and not bad. Of course, the reason we agree is because we think we are deserving of much more than a one word description and tend to favor a combination of words like friendly, clean, exceptional service, value friendly and the like. We think had you had more than a brief night with us you would have had a better opportunity to experience all that makes Kings Inn unique and awesome. Ultimately, your review just makes us want to sharpen our skills and we thank you for challenging us.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was my first trip to San Diego and wasn't sure where the hotel would be in regards to the sites we wanted to see. The location couldn't have been better. We were close to the beach, Sea World and the zoo. Before booking our hotel room I had read all the good reviews for Kings Inn and had a hard time trying to find a bad review. I am glad to say the reviews were accurate. We had a double queen room facing the pool on the second floor. The room was recently remodeled but I'm not sure it was completely finished. The room was clean, comfortable, and very affordable; especially how well located it is. The restaurants on the premises were great as well, the food was delicious. The staff are courteous, nice and very helpful. Just today I realized that I thought I had left an expensive, new pair of athletic shoes in the room. The staff looked in the Lost & Found and did not find them but took my information and were going to check with the cleaning staff. I eventually found the shoes at home but their helpfulness was great. I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know and will definitely stay here again when I come to San Diego.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor over the walkway are good because there is no one below you so there is no...
1  Thank RhondaRM

We are glad you decided to stay with us at Kings Inn. It is great to read you had great service from all departments. Yes there are still a few finishing touches that are ongoing to complete our new room design. But we are excited to have the new furniture in all rooms. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed for a girls weekend outing it was great . Room was clean. People were exceptionally
nice about everything. We stayed over the restaurant and it was a little noisy but not to late.
The hotels is nice but will be even nicer when all updates are completed throughout. We will stay again in the future location was good to.

Room Tip: Ask for remodeled room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
David P, Manager at Kings Inn San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

We are glad you and your friends enjoyed your weekend getaway and your stay at Kings Inn. Your room was a part of our family suite and is above the Amigo Spot which is pretty lively on Saturdays with the Jazz Quartet in the lounge. As you stated, it ends pretty early, 10pm, so we are glad it did not impose on you. All rooms now have our new furnishings. Artwork, mirrors and accent lighting are being installed now. Anyone wanting to see the new look of our rooms should look at the pictures posted by management here on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your review.