“San Diego at it's best”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #43 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The SD Marriott Marquis is a beautiful hotel. We were on the 25th floor with a view of the world. It was a clear, beautiful fall day which added to the ambiance. The room was large, clean, huge windows for an outstanding view; modern décor. The bed was comfortable with feel-good linens. It had a spacious bathroom with all the amenities. There was a large workable desk area. I was able to keep the room at a rather cool temperature, not always possible at hotels (even though they give you a thermostat.) We did not eat at the hotel restaurants. The only disappointment was lack of parking. Few spaces were open and they were reserved for boat owners. I had to circle the entire parking area to find an open space at the far end of the parking lot.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,060)

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Hotel is very, very clean. Perhaps the cleanest room I've ever stayed in. Quiet rooms, no middle of the night door slamming in the halls. King room is spacious, with good desk, fridge, coffee maker, and loveseat. Helpful, courteous staff. Amenities include Starbucks, gift shop, deli, and on-site restaurants/bars. Beautiful lagoon-like pool area, and whirlpool/hot tub exclusively for adults. Good conference rooms, underground access to the convention center. Conveniently located near restaurants and shops — nearby mall, Gas Lamp District within walking distance. Minutes from the airport by car.

1  Thank smj000
Reviewed 13 November 2013

One of the most beautiful hotels I stayed in. Very nice rooms, great ambiance, very professional and friendly service, beautifully designed pool area. Also, great view of the marina in sunset, and literally 3 minutes from the convention center. All make a great experience.

Down points: Wifi.
The one problem we experienced was, as was said in other reviews: the wifi internet connection.
It was slow, unreliable, kept disconnecting and stalling. Internet worked fine when using the cable supplied in the room, so, as others have said this was not a problme with my own equipment. Its really unclear how a highquality hotel allows that service to be SO poor, where every neighborhood coffee place can make it work right. Ah, not to mention they charge a LOT for it.

Room Tip: Try geting a view to the marina side.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Exec0410, General Manager at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. I appreciate your candid comments regarding our internet service. We are looking at ways to improve this service for our guests.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was a business and family trip. We stayed for 6 nights from 25th April as my husband was attending a convention at the hotel. When we checked in we moved rooms 3 times until they found one that would be big enough for us to accommodate a crib, a stroller, golf clubs, business equipment and luggage for a family of three on a 2 week vacation. The bell boys were really helpful in finding us the most spacious room which ended up being on the city side on the corner of the seventh floor. It had panoramic windows which was good.
The hotel is convenient in that it is central, with the Gas Lamp District a stones throw away at the front of the property and the Marina at the back so, easy access to nice walks along the water front and other hotels, shops and restaurants.
The Marina Kitchen was always busy but the service and food were good. The bar was buzzing at night too and there was live entertainment most nights we were there.
There are two outdoor pools and if you have children they can be well entertained by the fountains in the pool area.

Room Tip: If you are a family of 3 and need a lot of room the largest double rooms are city facing at the far...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

It is so nice to receive such complimentary words about our hotel. Thank you for your post and we hope you will stay with us the next time you are in San Diego.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We go to San Diego often and usually stay in the Gas Lamp District, however, my husband had a convention at this hotel so we decided to stay there. The location of the hotel is wonderful and you get all the resort amenities that you would expect from a higher end Marriot. The hotel is large to say the least with two towers. I would recommend requesting a room in the south tower because they have balconies. I'm not really inclined to stay at resort hotels unless in Hawaii or other island destination but I really enjoyed this one. The pool area is really nice with a bar and restaurant outside. The food was surprisingly good for hotel food. The breakfast was a little pricey but did offer a lot of variety for a buffet. If you have a hearty appetite I would definitely recommend the buffet. There is a coffee shop and a Roy's on the property. It's a short walk to the Gas Lamp District which is convenient. The hotel is located on the marina and has nice views and they offer a shuttle boat to Coronado Island which is really nice. Overall, a nice hotel, reasonably priced with good service.

Room Tip: South Tower with Balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Our location really is convenient to so many areas in San Diego. As you mentioned the Gaslamp District is one of them. I am happy to hear that you selected our hotel and that you enjoyed the balcony in your room. Hopefully you will stay with us again and discover some of the new growth along the boardwalk. A new shopping and social area will be opening soon just north of the hotel. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel we hope to see you back here soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I think the hotel industry really needs to put an emphasis on providing a very solid, reliable, and fast internet connection to its guests. I'd say that with over 75% of my hotel stays throughout the year, the hotel internet (whether free or paid) is awful. This was the case here, and this property charges for internet access. Whether I was in my room, the lobby, or one of the conference meeting rooms, I had a terrible connection. As a backup, I would try my Verizon HotSpot, and this would work great. So the issue was not with my computer, but the hotel network. Fix it!!

Aside from my painful experience with the internet, I would say....

- Room condition was excellent. Nice, new fixtures, very clean, big bathroom, frameless glass shower, lots of plugs for charging, and minimal wear & tear. Very impressed. The hallways, elevators....everything was in great shape. Like the hotel was just built.

- People are great. 100% of the hotel staff that I interacted with were friendly and helpful.

- Nice location. Right on the waterfront, next to the convention center, and an easy walk downtown.

- Pricey. The cost of the room, plus cost of all of the incidentals (parking, internet, water, etc), make this a costly hotel for a Marriott.

- Decent food. I was quite impressed with the breakfast and lunch that I had at the on-site restaurant. Great service, and one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen in a long time!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I understand your frustration with our internet service. We have been tracking this trend at our hotel and will be making significant changes in the near future to improve the service provided in our hotel. I appreciate you kind words about our hotel and will share the information with our Hosts.

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This is a business oriented hotel. And it's huge. I was a little wary at first, but it actually worked out perfectly for us when we visited family and friends in San Diego with our one year old boy.

The location of the hotel is ideal. It's right by the marina with an amazing ocean and Coronado island view. There are water front parks, perfect for morning stroll with our son. It's also within walking distance to seaport village. It's also easy to get onto the freeway.

We are marriot gold member, and the gold membership is actually worth something here. We were on 24th floor (club floor) with a room facing the bay and Coronado bridge. View was breathtaking. The club room serves free breakfast starting at 6am, which was perfect for our son who was jet lagged and waking up early in the morning. Breakfast selection is decent - scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh baked pastries (very good), assorted fresh fruit, etc. The club room is also a good place for us to have early dinner when we bought fish taco from food truck occasionally.

The room is a typical marriot room. Nothing to write home about but very clean and the bed and pillows are comfortable. The hotel provided a pack and play for our son. The one drawback is the bathroom has a shower but no tub. So it was challenging for us to bathe our son.

The staff are mostly friendly and helpful. Special thanks to Dominic who worked at the club room one evening. He was so friendly and helpful, and made our son laugh all the time.

Yes self parking is $28 but so is parking at most hotels nearby.

This is a business oriented hotel catering to conventions. But if you can get past that, it actually works for young families as well. We will definitely stay here again next time we visit San Diego.

Stayed: November 2013